Thread: The Human condition!

The Human condition!

just to change the subject a little, and share a few of my thoughts!
    I have been thinking about sex a little bit lately, at my age it is only in the mind, somewhat different from my youth!!

At
    least the latest furore over sex in Parliament, Hollywood and it would seem every other institution in the world has at least diverted some attention from overwhelming Brexit!
    I was reflecting on my childhood, my upbringing on a farm and life in the countryside. From an early age I saw bulls serving cows, boars serving sows, tups doing their thing, even a Rhode Island Red doing his best to make the eggs hatch off! It was also quite normal to see the end result of all this strenuous activity, such as a sow farrowing, a cow calving, even a hen delivering that slippery thing called an egg.
    Now I think that was a privilege to be brought up on a farm, not in a concrete jungle.
    It seems to me that being brought up in a concrete jungle means that people do not seem to realise that procreation is the primary sole basic instinct, even in man, who is an animal after all!
    Also at my age I can claim to have experienced all the basic human failings, especially those of an ugly old git that nobody fancies,(except my dearly departed wife, but she was blind anyway!).
    So if an ugly old git in a Hollywood studio gets himself a little bit of power of a very pretty young starlet, he is very likely to make an error of judgement.
    so we maybe ought to have more open farm weekends, and a little more information about the birds and the bees!

Jack Caley
    Last edited by Jack_Caley; 11-11-17 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Omission

Re: The Human condition!

I do agree with you Jack but then you would expect me to. My take on all of this is that most people are so far away from reality, real life, that they are at a positive disadvantage. I would like to quote an example of the above which is slightly different from yours Jack but which is very relevant today.

Consider this. I have been watching a series on UKTV (Yesterday) called The Great War In Numbers and I think it is appropriate today being Armistice Day to reflect on that unimaginable time. I had no idea about some of the figures quoted. How many died, how many were injured, how many died but were never found, how many rounds of ammunition, how cruel some nations were, how much slaughter of innocent civilians took place when their complete villages were torched and most were executed.

But is any of the above taught in schools today ? I suspect not. Would people lie about their ages to enlist. I doubt it.

I am not trying to glorify war, I am not trying to promote it. But it is part of our history and any future generation will never learn from a previous generation unless they have knowledge of it. You and I have known food rationing Jack. I wonder what would happen if, as a nation, we suddenly experienced a shortage of food ?

There is, admittedly, a degree of discomfort in this land but that is as nothing compared to what our forefathers suffered.
    Last edited by zaza; 11-11-17 at 09:19 PM.

Why can't we have a "Like button" to press for the two posts above?
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Food rationing might prevent us continuing on the obesity trend. Apparently the UK is the worst in Europe.#

The sex scandals, kiddy fiddling and general abuse have mostly be perpetrated by males in positions of some form of power from nasty family members to dodgy catholic priests to Hollywood stars. I get the impression that it is the exercise of that power, at whatever level, that fuels the excitement of such men rather than the pleasure of their twisted sex.
    I would also guess that it must have always existed. Perversely modern media may have increased the problems as well as bringing individuals to book.

Society is changing. It probably always has. But 100 years ago most of us were subservient to the aristocracy, hence the slaughter at the Somme, Ypres, etc. To be unemployed was a stigma. A bastard child was considered an abomination.

And consider today. Far too much traffic on the roads in vehicles that are capable of ridiculous speeds. I maintain that one could get into an argument on the roads of today for every 10 miles travelled. We are a consumer society, we are enticed with all sorts of must-have gizmos. So much so that while there are more children born out of wedlock than in this creates lots of cases where both parents go out to work because they feel they have to. Either because they want all of the gizmos or they are trying to buy a house that is way over-priced. And a lot of the time the parents split up anyway and social services are supposed to step in and pick up the pieces.

We now appear to have 3 genders. It would appear that we have freely available drugs. Hardly a day goes by when there isn't a stabbing or shooting in our major cities. We vote for and elect people to represent us in Parliament and frankly there are at least half of them that I wouldn't pay in washers. A lot of people are loking for a gravy train, from executives in large corporations down to the man on the Clapham omnibus, and yes, our politicians.

There are some wonderful people in the U.K. with a conscience who do an amazing amount of work, some of it for free, for society in general. But watch the series "999 What is your emergency" on Channel 4 to see how truly awful some people behave. Not only the patients, some bystanders who, because an ambulance has parked outside their house when they are dealing with an emergency next door just barge into the neighbour's house and demand that the ambulance be moved immediately.

I feel that I am privileged to have seen the best days.
    Last edited by zaza; 13-11-17 at 05:29 PM.