Thread: Tariff on NZ. Lamb.

Tariff on NZ. Lamb.

I am surprised no one replied to my comment on the Brexit thread.
    On it I mentioned that an English sheepfarmers wife found NZ lamb cheaper here.
    Apparently we import a big share of 200000 tonnes of tariff free lamb from NZ.
    So there would be no cheaper lamb here after Brexit.
    Jack Caley

Re: Tariff on NZ. Lamb.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    I am surprised no one replied to my comment on the Brexit thread. On it I mentioned that an English sheepfarmers wife found NZ lamb cheaper here. Apparently we import a big share of 200000 tonnes of tariff free lamb from NZ. So there would be no cheaper lamb here after Brexit. Jack Caley
    Jack - that just depends on what tariffs England puts on NZ lamb. Best guess, if England doesn't enact a tariff, then there wouldn't be any tariff, nor any limitation (quota) - tariffs and quotas are put on to "prop up" local industries and prevent "dumping", not to encourage free trading at "whatever price the market will bear". that goes for all goods - farm products, manufactured goods, raw materials (i.e. lumber, iron ore, . . .)

When my son came home from shearing in NZ last time, he paid attention to NZ lamb in a supermarket and reckoned it was cheaper here than in New Zealand. A few of the Kiwi farmers had told him the same and they said that the best quality was being exported while they kept the rest for their home market.
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

I am surprised no one replied to my comment on the Brexit thread.
    On it I mentioned that an English sheepfarmers wife found NZ lamb cheaper here.
    So there would be no cheaper lamb here after Brexit.
    Jack Caley
    More Brexit Bull**IT
    http://beefandlamb.ahdb.org.uk/wp-co...de-151117.xlsx

40,000 tons in from NZ, 60 odd thousand tons out to the EU.
    Remove the EU market.......and UK price of lamb will instantly half.
    Dreams of exporting anything to the countries that we walked away from after joining the EEC is just that .......Dreams.
    They have not forgotten.
    To sum it up we only need one phrase.....”INCOMING”

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    Jack - that just depends on what tariffs England puts on NZ lamb. Best guess, if England doesn't enact a tariff, then there wouldn't be any tariff, nor any limitation (quota) - tariffs and quotas are put on to "prop up" local industries and prevent "dumping", not to encourage free trading at "whatever price the market will bear". that goes for all goods - farm products, manufactured goods, raw materials (i.e. lumber, iron ore, . . .)
    I do not believe that the UK government will put many tariffs on any goods, especially food. That is the problem for UK farmers, our government has always had a cheap food policy, hence farm subsidies.
    Just what Europe will do is another matter, their aim is to punish UK , as an example. Otherwise they might lose more net contributors and their fat cat jobs.
    In all of this the British Farmer is the fall guy, the government will get rid of support payments and pretend that environmental payments will replace the income. It will not.
    Jack Caley.

The influx of huge amounts of tariff free produce from NZ is actually a legacy of the time when France had a disproportionately high amount of sway within the EU. It's all tied in with the Rainbow Warrior scandal where French agents sunk the boat in NZ waters killing some people on-board.

Subsequently NZ used the situation very much to their advantage and extracted many concession out of France in return for essentially handing over the murderers unpunished. Strangely enough around the same time NZ secured an extremely favorable deal with the EU (or EEC as it was then!) allowing them to export huge amounts of produce to the "community", remember this was also at the same time as intervention stores were sitting full to the neck with just about everything, so actually given that sheep numbers are rising, leaving this corrupt, parasitic, undemocratic, behemoth, should give us the opportunity to view future trade with NZ on a much more equitable basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    More Brexit Bull**IT
    http://beefandlamb.ahdb.org.uk/wp-co...de-151117.xlsx

40,000 tons in from NZ, 60 odd thousand tons out to the EU.
    Remove the EU market.......and UK price of lamb will instantly half.
    Dreams of exporting anything to the countries that we walked away from after joining the EEC is just that .......Dreams.
    0They have not forgotten.
    To sum it up we only need one phrase.....”INCOMING”
    I thought the tables showed 60,000 tonnes in a full year from NZ.
    The UK export achievement would take some replacing.
    Hence my belief that if the EU had not adopted bully boy tactics and just given Cameron his answer to the immigration/benefits problem, we could still carry on with the single market/customs union that I experienced for years driving a lorry across Europe.
    Jack Caley

Quote Originally Posted by wrsni View Post
    The influx of huge amounts of tariff free produce from NZ is actually a legacy of the time when France had a disproportionately high amount of sway within the EU. It's all tied in with the Rainbow Warrior scandal where French agents sunk the boat in NZ waters killing some people on-board.

Subsequently NZ used the situation very much to their advantage and extracted many concession out of France in return for essentially handing over the murderers unpunished. Strangely enough around the same time NZ secured an extremely favorable deal with the EU (or EEC as it was then!) allowing them to export huge amounts of produce to the "community", remember this was also at the same time as intervention stores were sitting full to the neck with just about everything, so actually given that sheep numbers are rising, leaving this corrupt, parasitic, undemocratic, behemoth, should give us the opportunity to view future trade with NZ on a much more equitable basis.
    And we'll be able to tell them what to do with their Haka

Quote Originally Posted by b slicker View Post
    And we'll be able to tell them what to do with their Haka
    I was not aware that NZ had used the Greenpeace debacle to such an extent.
    However, let us be fair to NZ.
    I have visited NZ, in particular an airstrip on the side of a mountain used by a farmer whol flew with 158 squadron at Lissett. He returned to farm in NZ but when we treated NZ so badly on entry in to Europe he committed suicide.
    This is just yet another example of ruthless, protectionist policies of the EU.
    I have a great affection the KIWIS, just google 158 squadron memorial and you will see what a debt we owed to Commonwealth countries, and just how they have been treated, not o mention the stealth of our fishing industry together with our pig industry etc etc.
    it is not European unity they are after, it is just simply our money!
    Jack Caley

I was not aware that NZ had used the Greenpeace debacle to such an extent.
    However, let us be fair to NZ.
    Apologies Mr Caley, I did not intend the scenario to be taken as a slight against NZ, at the end of the day they took advantage of a situation which they had no hand in creating and used it to considerably strengthen their largest industry. O that we could be just a wee bit similarly jingoistic in this country sometimes without it being decried by a certain section of our society. It was however, just another example of a totally corrupt abuse of power within the corridors of the EU, as if there weren't enough already!

Nonetheless, post EU membership, and free from the constraints imposed by the EU arrangements, I think it needs to be looked at. And while I am not for tariffs if at all avoidable, I think it would be fair to hope that continued future unbridled access to the UK market for NZ produce should result in some sort of reciprocal benefit to us, something which we would not have been in a position to seek whilst in the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by wrsni View Post
    Apologies Mr Caley, I did not intend the scenario to be taken as a slight against NZ, at the end of the day they took advantage of a situation which they had no hand in creating and used it to considerably strengthen their largest industry. O that we could be just a wee bit similarly jingoistic in this country sometimes without it being decried by a certain section of our society. It was however, just another example of a totally corrupt abuse of power within the corridors of the EU, as if there weren't enough already!

Nonetheless, post EU membership, and free from the constraints imposed by the EU arrangements, I think it needs to be looked at. And while I am not for tariffs if at all avoidable, I think it would be fair to hope that continued future unbridled access to the UK market for NZ produce should result in some sort of reciprocal benefit to us, something which we would not have been in a position to seek whilst in the EU.
    Thank you for your comments, actually in total NZ suffered greatly in the EU debacle.
    They did not strengthen9 their industry, rather the reverse, where they had over 70 million sheep before, they now have 29 million , rather less than us. If the limit of 200,000 tonnes is to be dropped we might finish up with rather more supplies!
    Regards,
    Jack Caley.

Thank you for your comments, actually in total NZ suffered greatly in the EU debacle.
    They did not strengthen9 their industry, rather the reverse, where they had over 70 million sheep before, they now have 29 million , rather less than us. If the limit of 200,000 tonnes is to be dropped we might finish up with rather more supplies!
    Regards,
    Jack Caley.
    G’Day
    Currently in the Southern Hemisphere.
    General consensus is that the UK is that it is “Stark Staring Bonkers” to even contemplate Brexit.
    After all, they all have experience of having their biggest single export market removed over night.

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    G’Day
    Currently in the Southern Hemisphere.
    General consensus is that the UK is that it is “Stark Staring Bonkers” to even contemplate Brexit.
    After all, they all have experience of having their biggest single export market removed over night.
    We fully understand how they feel about losing a market.
    After all we lost our fishing industry, half our pig industry, nearly all our chocolate industry, a big percentage of our car industry, I could go on.
    Also we lost the right to govern ourselves, and about £9 billion a year net!

Jack Caley.