Thread: TS110 Transmission Problems

TS110 Transmission Problems

Hi everyone. This is my firs post on the forum, but I've been scouring through the forums for the last few months trying to figure out what to do about the transmission in my beloved TS110. I'm at the end of what I can do with the search feature, so I guess it's time to ask my question.

I have a 1998 TS110 with a 16x16 transmission. It has the following symptoms:
    Gear 1,2/9,10 - Very bad slipping. I have to let the clutch out extremely slowly to get the machine to move in these gears. Once the machine is moving, the clutch almost always continues to slip badly.
    Gear 5,6/13,14 - The tractor will work as normal as long as I keep the revs up. If I let it idle along, as soon as there is any load on it at all, it will drop put of gear and give a "CP" (clutch pedal) error.

With the help of the Service manual and this forum, I have figured out the following:
    1. The pump produces good pressure.
    2. The low pressure circuit to the transmission is getting proper pressure, and it is maintained during shifting.
    3. Clutch 1 and 4 have about 18 bar of pressure, and work just fine.
    4. Clutch 2 and 3 have 7 and 10 bar of pressure respectively, and are slipping.

I attempted a spring pressure calibration, but clutch 2 and 3 both produce "calibration too high" errors.
    I replaced the C2 and C3 solenoids.
    I also tried adjusting the clutch fill time to the maximum (10 milliseconds), thinking more time might allow more fluid in, but that made no difference.

After I bought my machine, the local chain of dealers went out of business, so that's not an option. I am wondering now, if anyone with a little know how on these machines has an idea what the low clutch pressure points to?

Re: TS110 Transmission Problems

Not well up in the TS but assume it's still the quad mod transmission as used in the 40 series. Sounds like it's time for the clutch packs to be overhauled. Probably the pack piston seals are leaking by and worn out plates.The front clutch pack comes out through the front of the box but to remove the back one means a complete strip down and transmission removal.There are also inner seal rings in the packs that need replaced with the aid of a resizer tool.I replaced mine on an early 40 series, with an engine piston ring clamp but it was far from ideal.Built the whole thing together again and the original symptoms were still there.Unknowingly had damaged the rings and had to completely strip all down again and have another go. Got there in the end..........

I suspect Agrimax is right. If the packs having been slipping then the wearing surface will probably be damaged anyway. What would be worrying is if the initial cause were not in the clutch packs themselves. You could replace everything and still have a problem. Foots Fitter knows something of these transmissions.

Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    I suspect Agrimax is right. If the packs having been slipping then the wearing surface will probably be damaged anyway. What would be worrying is if the initial cause were not in the clutch packs themselves. You could replace everything and still have a problem. Foots Fitter knows something of these transmissions.
    Whoa! I wouldn't like to go that far, a little maybe, but "something" is pushing it a bit far! Trouble is I've tended to do just the one of several variations over the years, all much the same principal but all chalk & cheese!

From whats been posted in the OP then I would think that its one or more clutch packs need new plates and possibly seals - perhaps the machine has done some heavy repetitive work and worn those 2 clutches to the point where they have slipped and the heat generated has started to effect the seals- hence the lower pressures

Whatever theory, it looks like its got to come apart.
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Wow. Thanks for the great replys, even though they are not at all what I wanted to hear... I had my fingers crossed for "electrical problem, just snip the blue wire."

The machine was used for plowing snow for about 4 years and has 4500 hours. The last year I used it for snow, the guy driving it was quite the cartoon.

I've never had a transmission apart before, but I'm not afraid of it. Any other recommendations on parts or special New Holland tools to have before I get at it? I'd like to make an attempted to have everything ready to put it back together before I take it apart. That way I have a fighting chance to remember how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by justin572 View Post
    Wow. Thanks for the great replys, even though they are not at all what I wanted to hear... I had my fingers crossed for "electrical problem, just snip the blue wire."

The machine was used for plowing snow for about 4 years and has 4500 hours. The last year I used it for snow, the guy driving it was quite the cartoon.

I've never had a transmission apart before, but I'm not afraid of it. Any other recommendations on parts or special New Holland tools to have before I get at it? I'd like to make an attempted to have everything ready to put it back together before I take it apart. That way I have a fighting chance to remember how it goes.

The best tool/aid is a digital camera. Take loads of images especially if mundane pipes, cables and looms before you start disturbing them too much. By the time you get to put it back together your'll be glad of them
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......