Thread: Manitou MT 928-4

Manitou MT 928-4

My Manitou Keeps Blowing O ring out of the Transmission Filter
    Anybody got any suggestions please?

Manitou MT 928-4

Hi my telehander keeps Blowing the O ring out of the Transmission Filter ,any suggestions please
    Oil everywhere!!

Re: Manitou MT 928-4

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
    Hi my telehander keeps Blowing the O ring out of the Transmission Filter ,any suggestions please
    Oil everywhere!!

I'll take a stab at this question only because Andrew from A&R warned me about it. I'm guessing you have replaced the filter, (or some one has) and its not the genuine item, can't remember which brand/make it was he warned not to fit but IIRC its a design problem.
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

it had a gen Manitou wen we got it, but we had replaced with a fleetgard many time ago, I was backing out of shed and it just stopped , and chucked oil everywhere, took gard off, saw the O ring on filter pushed out,, we hadn't got another F/G fllter, but luckly we found a Manitou one, tried it again , and of course it blooo that one out too, so still had to forward / reverse drive, we put the seal back in , and it hasn't blown it out, but is very slow drive, and then stops altogether, so I cant trust using it , any more suggestions would be great ??
    regards

Still at Fault, Does any one know where theres images online of the Transmission Box ,we found a spring (broken) in 3 parts,
    regards

Still at Fault, Does any one know where theres images online of the Transmission Box ,we found a spring (broken) in 3 parts,
    regards
    Can you post pictures? that would be helpful and I will see if I can point someone this way for advice
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

regards
    There was an issue with the pressure regulating valve in the f/r valve block on the early machines, there was a updated replacement valve at the time but I think its no longer available? It caused your exact problem and was very common.

If that is what wrong I don't think that part is available any more? so to fix it you would have to buy the new style F/R valve block complete which IMO is much better anyway but its touching on 1k!!!

I will see if I can get a picture of it.

Oh and it was the Vapormatic filter I was having trouble with leaking due to made wrong.

regards
    See drawing attached, the reg valve is item 14 in red. the old ones had a brass sleeve on them which would wear and pull over the head of the screw. the new valves had a steel sleeve.

I did try repairing one once but waste of time. last time they were available they were 140 but they are obsolete now from Manitou.

I have another source I could try if needed for both the replacement reg valve and a complete valve block but other wise you would have to by the complete valve block, going off the part number that block is 2300!!! from Manitou but I sure the one they use on current machines would fit at 900odd.

No last time I had this trouble were the customer didn't get the cause of the fault fixed but keep changing the filters and tightening them more and more! it ended up blowing the seals in the gearbox resulting in a full over haul.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just had a look there are 2 boxes fitted to the MT928 turner/spicer compact powershuttle and turner powershuttle would need serial to confirm. Suspect you have a turner/spicer we had the same fault on old MLT526 last year, at the time we thought it was a fault with pressure reg valve but since the valve is no longer available and only a complete control valve is available as a superseded part at a cost 2300 we stripped down the control valve cleaned up the valves we also fitted new springs which are still available, this made no difference. we ended up pulling the box out when we opened the box we found the pump suction pipe was loose and drawing air, we resealed the pipe fitted a new pump and torque converter because we were in that far, box back in and problem solved. We think the problem was aeration of the oil and the box couldn't couple with the volume if the oil.

The control valve on the old turner/spicer compact powershuttle (valve controls f/r and pressure) and the valve on the current turner box used by Manitou (valve controls f/r only) are not compatible, so if it turns out the control valve is faulty your options are new control from Manitou @ 2300 or second hand.

You won't find any Manitou parts or technical diagrams online but search for turner spicer compact powershuttle and you should find something useful.

ManitouMan

Quote Originally Posted by ManitouMan View Post
    Just had a look there are 2 boxes fitted to the MT928 turner/spicer compact powershuttle and turner powershuttle would need serial to confirm. Suspect you have a turner/spicer we had the same fault on old MLT526 last year, at the time we thought it was a fault with pressure reg valve but since the valve is no longer available and only a complete control valve is available as a superseded part at a cost 2300 we stripped down the control valve cleaned up the valves we also fitted new springs which are still available, this made no difference. we ended up pulling the box out when we opened the box we found the pump suction pipe was loose and drawing air, we resealed the pipe fitted a new pump and torque converter because we were in that far, box back in and problem solved. We think the problem was aeration of the oil and the box couldn't couple with the volume if the oil.

The control valve on the old turner/spicer compact powershuttle (valve controls f/r and pressure) and the valve on the current turner box used by Manitou (valve controls f/r only) are not compatible, so if it turns out the control valve is faulty your options are new control from Manitou @ 2300 or second hand.

You won't find any Manitou parts or technical diagrams online but search for turner spicer compact powershuttle and you should find something useful.

ManitouMan
    Kind of annoys me when people ask a question on here then never bother to come back and find the answer.

hi all, many thanks for getting back to me on this one, this is my 1st opp to get on line,we had a very good mechanic down, as I was away for 2 days, he found the fault of piece of rubber out of filler cap had been trapped in a valve , all up and running now, so luckly it turned out to be less expensive as thought,
    so thanks again for all your help
    regards

hi all, many thanks for getting back to me on this one, this is my 1st opp to get on line,we had a very good mechanic down, as I was away for 2 days, he found the fault of piece of rubber out of filler cap had been trapped in a valve , all up and running now, so luckly it turned out to be less expensive as thought,
    so thanks again for all your help
    regards
    That's good if that's all it is but to blow the filter it has to be a fault with the pressure reg valve, like I said it was common for the sleeve to pull over the screw which at first glance you wouldn't notice. I would be surprised if a bit of rubber anywhere in that top valve block will cause excess pressure but hopefully i'm wrong.

Reg valve is dead easy to remove, just undo it and pull it out, if its brass sleeve then look closer at it if its a steel sleeve then you should be okay.