Thread: 2nd Wheat conundrum

Rob Holmes

2nd Wheat conundrum

Maybe in a bit early but considering my variety options for next year,

Currently got Oakley, Santiago and JB Diego in as 1st's and JB Diego and Panorama as 2nd's

I want to grow barn filling Group 4's (I know the Panorama is a bit of a red herring)

I think i'll keep with Santiago and JB Diego as 1st wheats (JB Diego getting the majority)

As for 2nd's going to try some Relay, also looked at Conqueror although people have warned me off it but not sure why?

Don't really want to have JB as a 2nd as a large proportion will be in as 1st.

Any other suggestions? Ground is heavy.

JamesC

Re: 2nd Wheat conundrum

Have you done with Oakley then, we grow it among others as both 1st and 2nd, looks well again in both slots, agronomist is already saying do we want all Oakley as 2nd with all Santiago 1st, it won't happen like but that's what he said a couple of weeks back and he sees a lot of wheat. Some FSS Oakley looks a picture against new bought which looks a bit raggety, time will tell..............

Rob Holmes

No, not totally done with Oakley... I like it and has treated us well, but even though the seed might be slightly cheaper but it has to be dressed with Epona, making it quite expensive. J B Diego has proved equally as good without the high maintainance.

tw15

RELAY is worth a look it tillers like no tomorrow we have 15acre as trial this year in the 1st wheat slot but recon its going to be a good contender for the second wheat position along side of jb diago.

Laughing Cavalier

The Conqueror warning may be because of its pedigree of Robigus x Equinox. The worlds worst 2nd wheats.
    Relay is a sound choice. No need to be more complicated than that.

spikeislander

think there has been worse wheats than robigus IMO! Not good now but it had its time and treated us fairly well in the past.

Mr Cricket

Conqueror, Duxford and Panorama performing well on heavy land in Lincs as2nd wheats

lordbonville

Will grow Oakley, Santiago, JBD and Grafton myself next year.

Oakley and Santiago take a little more effort but worth it. Grafton a safe option and early entry for rape. JBD on the fittest land is always last to combine. I grow as a 2nd or even continuous wheat.

Costa

Duxford takes some beating as a second. Its a very aggressive tillerer so performs well even in the late slot.
    Disease ratings are all very good too.
    I wouldnt bother with it an a first situation as there are better.
    Another one too watch is Invicta. im very impressed with the initial findings of this as a second - its very much off label advice as its only suppose to be used as a first.

Rob Holmes

Quote Originally Posted by Costa View Post
    Duxford takes some beating as a second. Its a very aggressive tillerer so performs well even in the late slot.
    Disease ratings are all very good too.
    I wouldnt bother with it an a first sitution as there are better.
    Another one too watch is Invicta. im very impressed with the initial findings of this as a second - its very much off label advice as its only suppose to be used as a first.
    Duxford is a marmite variety, you either love it or hate it, having grown it for 2 years... I hate it!

Costa

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Holmes View Post
    Duxford is a marmite variety, you either love it or hate it, having grown it for 2 years... I hate it!
    Ok its fine we all farm in different areas different land etc its how it happens.

Another one I liked as a second was Oakley, and did well even without latitude. It looks like santiago will take over from it though so I may try some of this in a 2nd this year as a trial.

Too many varieties is a head spinner so this year Il probably do Invicta and santiago as 1sts and jb/invicta/duxford as 2nd's.

Tim May

I like Duxford as a second wheat used to use cordiale but the volunteres from the previous mucked up the sample. now my firsts are cordiale, scout, and oakley and duxford as a second. I like cordiale as an entry to osr, scout works as it fits next in the harvest window and i may get quality then I finish with oakley and duxford to fill the barn. after second wheat I grow spring barley then osr. on fields i don't want to grow second wheat on i grow a break then cordiale then osr. works for me

peasantman

Oakley was fine as a second (and first) last year.

pylon dodger

What about Grafton we had a bit of it last year looked shit all year but did better than jbdiego Got 1/2 1/2 jb and grafton this year. grafton was a bout a week earlier to harvest and a good entry for osr.

Barry_the_Seed

It isn't a straight forward decision. There are some varieties that in absolute yield terms do very well in the 2nd wheat slot but other varieties do better relatively.

You should also consider issues such as grass weed problems and disease weaknesses in the other varieties you are going to grow.

As has been said Duxford is a good 2nd wheat, in the sense it does better relatively in that position. And is well suited to a later drilling slot, as is Conqueror.

Certainly Relay looks as if it will suit that position on the early data we have seen but equally does well in a 1st wheat position.

Choose you 1st wheats and then look at what characteristics you want for the fields your 2nd wheat is going into.

Barry