Thread: Ram introductions

Ram introductions

Hi,

I rarely keep more than one ram but will need to introduce two this week. In the past I've kept them tightly penned for a day or so and they've been fine afterwards but I have heard stories where things didn't go well and rams have been killed.

I have an older chap and a one year old going in together.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Re: Ram introductions

Letting them meet up in a Ifor Williams Hotel for the night , or any small space and letting them get their aggression out of their system is as much as you can do.
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

Mine meet in a 6ft square hurdle pen with cable tied corners and at least one side well fastened to something solid. They stay like this for a minimum of 6 hours without food or water. Yes they do still have a ding dong on release but they are tired and hungry and it rarely lasts long. If the second ram is a shearling or younger then unless your aged ram is old and losing it then pecking order is not too long in getting established. Most problems occur if the rams are evenly matched and neither is prepared to give in.

Quote Originally Posted by piratepete View Post
    Hi,

I rarely keep more than one ram but will need to introduce two this week. In the past I've kept them tightly penned for a day or so and they've been fine afterwards but I have heard stories where things didn't go well and rams have been killed.

I have an older chap and a one year old going in together.

Any advice would be gratefully received.
    Both the excellent answers already given will be sufficient , whilst we now have no sheep but retain our sanity, we used to have 8-10 rams, all would be shut in a very small stone shed over night with a new boy, and plenty of straw, by the time they were let out in the morning all were mates, we used find its keeping them tight for space doesn't let em let to bargy,

edit, love the hotel ifor Williams comment,,, trouble is round our way if you left any thing of any value in the ifor over night it would be gone along with said ifor,,,,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Thank you all for the advice. Much appreciated.