Thread: Bat Survey

Baker9

Bat Survey

I need to get a Bat Survey done as a condition for planning consent for a single wind turbine.
    Does anyone on here know someone sensible and competent to carry out a survey who is based in Northern Ireland.
    If you do not want to make it public send me a PM.
    Thanks

cowcalf

Re: Bat Survey

Quote Originally Posted by Baker9 View Post
    I need to get a Bat Survey done as a condition for planning consent for a single wind turbine.
    Does anyone on here know someone sensible and competent to carry out a survey who is based in Northern Ireland.
    Thanks
    look at local planning applications on the net and you should be able to see who makes a mountain out of a molehill, and who has some common sense. Or an architect should be able to point you in the right direction.

scoobyscotlad

I think moving the turbine 50m would less hassle.....they might find one(a bat), then will probably need moved anyway....

Baker9

Quote Originally Posted by scoobyscotlad View Post
    I think moving the turbine 50m would less hassle.....they might find one(a bat), then will probably need moved anyway....
    Fields are too narrow. I need to be 59 meters from the hedges and when the turbine is a 250kw with a rotor dimeter of approx 30 meters along with 59 meters either side, I am out of space. I have wider fields further up but the problem is access as there is a Ring Fort in the way. The Environment Agency will not allow me near it unless I get an Archelogical survey done. I know that they will find stuff as I have found some things my self, which I put back.
    I am also on the edge of the Sperrins AONB so I am pretty limited in the locations I can use because of the visual impact.
    What I want is an initial one day survey, if that shows bats , then we will need to reacess the application.

Cowabunga

They always find bats. Their whole purpose in life, the justification for their livelihood depends on them finding bats. Bats are like cowpats, they are everywhere.
    Around here the Countryside Council For Wales exist almost exclusively for the benefit of their employees through the bat population.

You could almost call the situation ' batty'.:cry:

honest john

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    They always find bats. Their whole purpose in life, the justification for their livelihood depends on them finding bats. Bats are like cowpats, they are everywhere.
    Around here the Countryside Council For Wales exist almost exclusively for the benefit of their employees through the bat population.

You could almost call the situation ' batty'.:cry:
    HeHe well said.
    If you can't find a Bat get a bigger Telescope.

lamplighter2

hi this what you are looking for secretary@bats-ni.org.uk part of the bat conservation group. had bats in my bungalow and had no problem with them gave me tips when restoring bungalow and bats still live in loft happy hope this helps

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by lamplighter2 View Post
    hi this what you are looking for secretary@bats-ni.org.uk part of the bat conservation group. had bats in my bungalow and had no problem with them gave me tips when restoring bungalow and bats still live in loft happy hope this helps

How the heck will that help with the siteing of a wind turbine?

Courier

Baseball bat might be more use

RGSP

Quote Originally Posted by lamplighter2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    How the heck will that help with the siteing of a wind turbine?
    It might. I am aware of one case where the local bat enthusiasts came with recording/monitoring equipment, and showed that there was virtually no bat activity at a proposed (small) turbine site, whereas there was quite a lot 50 metres away. Frankly, given the terrain, I could have guessed that, but the point is that the planners accepted the measured data, whereas they wouldn't have accepted my guesses.

lamplighter2

i was just giving the details of local bat group who could use there recorders to see if bats are around. yes its different as its a wind turbine not a house. but at least they can come out and check.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Baker9 View Post
    Thanks
    I think I saw these guys advertising bat surveys, maybe worth a call.
    http://www.sienergy.co.uk/WT/home.htm

Baker9

The general coccensus that it will cost about 2K + vat. Whether there is 2ks work in it is doubtfull to me.
    Thanks for all the comments, I am not doing this for a whim but because I am required to under the planning regulations which were introduced August 2011.

applesquasher

It is just a tax you have to pay to keep someone in a non job.
    Here we have the same tax plus the newt survey tax as well.
    I would think a 6 year old could find a newt here but we prefer to pay someone more money than I earn just to confirm it.

honest john

Quote Originally Posted by applesquasher View Post
    It is just a tax you have to pay to keep someone in a non job.
    Here we have the same tax plus the newt survey tax as well.
    I would think a 6 year old could find a newt here but we prefer to pay someone more money than I earn just to confirm it.
    And theres the Vole Tax. The Badger Tax. The Swan Tax no doubt loads more.

applesquasher

Must be in a different tax bracket in this area as I hadn't really heard of those. Badger tax maybe.

Seems to be whatever is easiest to find in the locality. Wouldn't want to stretch the recently out of uni folks that do these surveys with hard to find items.

lamplighter2

the bat conservation group are voluntarily so its not a civil servant pushing papers all day

boris

heard a good one the other day , tree surgeon had to do a job but uni types had to be on hand to oversee ,they found a newt which was put in a bucket only by dinner it had dissapeared with only the grass snake they also found left in the same bucket

applesquasher

Gosh!
    I wonder what happened there then.