Thread: McCormick MTX XTX & TTX Tractors

Right-arm fast

McCormick MTX XTX & TTX Tractors

I would like to hear peoples experiences of these tractors. They seem to be doomed due to poor reliability, but there are plenty of dealers about. Are they selling any ? If they are a cheaper alternative, they should be shouldnt they ? Are they beta power engines any good for draught work. All we hear about are fendt jd case new hollands.

cheers
    RAF

Oh Deere

Re: McCormick MTX XTX & TTX Tractors

the MTX range of tractors are a well built but slightly dated tractor.
    Their are customers in mid/west wales that have had McCormicks then changed to another brand and would defiently buy McCormick again typically dairy darmers that dont need the sophistification of other brands.
    The McCormick can be repaired without laptops, driven by anyone and is a comfortable, quiet place to spend the day
    I used a MTX 135 last year to plough 90 acres of maize ground,Was very pleased with it.Comfortable, plenty of power and handled a 5 furrow plough with ease.If you want a no frills tractor thats reliable and easy to repair then go for it.
    Farmers that changed from MTX tractors to XTX have been dissapointed with their performance on haulage duties but seem happy with in field performance.

prawn_king

XTX165 3000hrs... engine OK, but hopeless 8 speed power shift saps all the power in road gears. Power shifts slow to change, and there's 8 of them, not the plus point you'd think. Lift is good tho. Wiring is bad, very bad... leaks oil like a colander, front hub seals, prop from gearbox to engine, and somewhere else in the back end. 22 grease nipples for the front suspension alone. It would take me a while to list all the faults that have actually happened, all of which are electrical but some had mechanical consequences.

All in all I'd rather drive the MTX150, a class above I'd say, completely different tractor, I'd even pick it above a 6930. Only thing is the XTX will handle a bigger plough.

But the bigger 200hp+ might be different, personally I wouldn't want to bet my own money. Also I don't think the price difference was all that great.

JF.

jumbojimbo

untill very recently we had mtx 135 . It was a good solid tractor with faultless engine, gearbox and back end . Sadly the same could not be said for the electrics which caused us years of problems . The cab suspension used to go wrong regularly,the link arms would regularly stop working nothing major usually just a faulty sensor, always carried a bag of spare fuses. One day a couple of months ago whilst out spraying on some hilly ground a fuse that controls the shuttle blew and put the tractor into nutral just at the wrong time causing the tractor to run away.
    That said would a have another, probebly , think mine was just a bad one.

walter melon

XTX 165 awful on haulage with 16t trailers. Gutless and easily out performed by 6830's. In the 6 weeks we had two of them one always had a problem. The local dealer was useless with a We'll fix it on Monday because we're not working this weekend attitude.

pudding

dad loves his mtx125

its a doncaster early one, red chassis, 4spd power shift and perkins, he keeps asking me what he should buy, because he is thinking about a bigger tractor, i keep telling him he has the best one they made lol, only suggestion i give him is buy a red chassis MTX150, with the basic 4spd power shift and the iveco cummins motor,

you find a mc135, or mtx150 etc with the red chassis, you are getting a pretty good bus with good bang for buck, not 100% Sure about the ones that were built later in italy

Right-arm fast

Thanks everyone,

I dont know about anybody else but we dont need the sophistication of some of these newer tractors which is the reason for looking at the McCormicks. We have just brought an MX310 which has a fair few electronics which is fine on that tractor but the other tractors we have are 2 MX170s and i would like to replace them in due course with a tractor of similar sophistication and price to correspond hence asking the questions as no one talks about them really.

All we need is a good torquey 6 cylinder engine, 4wd, radar for wheel slip, good draft control, CCLS hydraulics with a good ouput and rear lift capacity, cat 3 linkage, aircon, air seat, powershift 540/1000 pto probably 650 rears 540 fronts. Pretty bog standard really but perfectly adequate and no need for any laptops. They all breakdown - the transmission on one of our 170s last year needed some tlc but its to be expected at some point it has done 5500hrs. Oil leaks can be a major source of irritation as they can be relatively expensive to sort out.

cheers

prongy

TTX 190.

jed

Wink Re: McCormick MTX XTX & TTX Tractors

Quote Originally Posted by walter melon View Post
    XTX 165 awful on haulage with 16t trailers. Gutless and easily out performed by 6830's. In the 6 weeks we had two of them one always had a problem. The local dealer was useless with a We'll fix it on Monday because we're not working this weekend attitude.
    we have two 165 and were hopeless pulling on road work .had them both chipped and a totally different machine twice the pull for less juice.also field work at less rev hence saving fuel again.put about 30hp on each one.600 each chip.

Right-arm fast

anybody running the TTX 190 ?

casey885

anybody running an xtx200? have one and it raising error code 5105. Dealer over here doesn't seem to know what it is. Great grip and power but plagued by reliability which goes against all my experience with a 5150, mx120 and mx150 which really aren't legues of difference in

pudding

error 5105 is called PS4 Frequency error

that is all i know, its a transmission fault code, did it come under TC in the menu?

PS4 is powershift 4, you need to find a better dealer clear the code, see if it will regenerate and follow the workshop manual destructions :lolk:

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by prawn_king View Post
    XTX165 3000hrs... engine OK, but hopeless 8 speed power shift saps all the power in road gears. Power shifts slow to change, and there's 8 of them, not the plus point you'd think.
    JF.
    I've said this before about sequential semi-powershifts. Hope designers are listening. Four is fine, six is the limit. No problem with having them close together ratio-wise and having up to six range changes. But going through 8 power shift steps when you really want to skip most of them is often a pain in the arse.

mcc man

Quote Originally Posted by casey885 View Post
    anybody running an xtx200? have one and it raising error code 5105. Dealer over here doesn't seem to know what it is. Great grip and power but plagued by reliability which goes against all my experience with a 5150, mx120 and mx150 which really aren't legues of difference in

PS4 speed sensor is the error code as allready said, the sensor is mounted in the side of the gear box towards the front on the right hand side just above the main hydraulic pump, they do fail occasionally more so when warm but they can also create a phantom error code masking others like the wheel speed sensor above the diff for example.

Do any other codes come up with it at the same time when it comes on ? and does the powershift go a bit harsher when its got the error ?

sensor dead easy to change just one bolt and a plug.

hope this helps

McCman

Can anyone tell me about the MTX200 tractor? Im thinking about buying one down my way that's for sale, I don't really no much about the McCormick so would like some knowledge from everyone on what I should do! it's going cheap but high hours nearly 9,000 would it be a waste of time? Thanks.

I drove one for a while and can only say that the engine was superb,typical as being Cummins,but the gearbox was just crap.Notchy range changes and wicked powershifts. Needed worked at regularly and eventually all the packs replaced within the year we had it.And it was mainly only used on a hedgecutter! The brakes weren't up to the job either.IIRC,there was little over 5000 hrs on it. Electrics gave bother on it to. MTX 150 was a much better machine for some reason.