Thread: grey fergie

multi power

grey fergie

hi i want to buy a grey fergie, desiel, but my question is are they all the same? i think ive seen both 3 n 4 cylinder engines, 3cyl perkins p3 i belive, is this factory fitted? also have seen 4cyl engines, are they standard motor co? if so are they similar to 23c in a fergy 35?
    many thanks

ReidyNZ

Re: grey fergie

Didn think they came with 3cyl (but not a Fergie fanatic so stand to be corrected) if a 4 cyl standard - run a mile

Track Marshall

the 4cyl is the standard motor co engine, same as was fitted in the standard vanguard car. this engine was the factory fitted diesel and the serial number plate should start with TEF.

the Perkins P3 was fitted to tractors as a conversion to replace the petrol or petrol/TVO engine that would have been fitted from new. the serial number plate on these tractors will start with TE, TEA or TED.

The 4cyl is much easier to get parts for and is a good engine but if they are worn they will take a lot of starting. the P3 is more powerful at 32hp and they are great engines IMO, BUT the parts are hard to get and can be very expensive. IME p3 tractors will always be worth a little more than a 4cyl in the same condition though.

MF-ANDY

Quote Originally Posted by ReidyNZ View Post
    Didn think they came with 3cyl (but not a Fergie fanatic so stand to be corrected) if a 4 cyl standard - run a mile
    why run a mile? i've always found standard 20c engine to be ok

btd-6

The TEF 20 with the standard 20c is a much better starter than the 23c as fitted in 35s and allis ED40 tractors.

ReidyNZ

Quote Originally Posted by btd-6 View Post
    The TEF 20 with the standard 20c is a much better starter than the 23c as fitted in 35s and allis ED40 tractors.

Ok, didn know they was a different engine - had one (no sure 20 or 23) in a forklift, could only get her going with 24volts & ether - was going to do her up but local engine reconditioner reckoned they were little better when new - had a sale for a 35/4 cyl diesel once to go out to some Islands (Chathams) well off NZ mainland coast - boss at the time refused to sell it to him as he said they were far too unreliable to send out there :cry:

multi power

track marshall thank you for that most informitive post, next question te,ted,tef were they all made at the same time? dad has a tvo fergie but i belive it was converted from straight petrol, 1948 model i think

Orcadian

The TEF had more starting aids than any think before or after.
    first you had a brass button on side of gearbox that had to be held in with the side of your right calf then the gearleaver was used to engage the starter after using the heater switch and pumping the KiGas pump and holding the decompression leaver with your right hand,if all this failed you could use the starting handle if you were fit!!

btd-6

Quote Originally Posted by Orcadian View Post
    The TEF had more starting aids than any think before or after.
    first you had a brass button on side of gearbox that had to be held in with the side of your right calf then the gearleaver was used to engage the starter after using the heater switch and pumping the KiGas pump and holding the decompression leaver with your right hand,if all this failed you could use the starting handle if you were fit!!
    Don't forget the excess fuel button on the TEF injector pump!

Track Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by multi power View Post
    track marshall thank you for that most informitive post, next question te,ted,tef were they all made at the same time? dad has a tvo fergie but i belive it was converted from straight petrol, 1948 model i think
    try this for dates etc http://www.fofh.co.uk/tech/dates.htm

if its 1948 looks like it could be a TE or a TEA, but if its been converted to parrafin is most likely a TEA. If it is still there the serial number plate is behind the steering wheel on the dash.

I think the main reason there are quite a few P3 fergies about is the fact that you cant put the 4cyl diesel into a petrol or TVO tractor as the bell housing was a different shape because the starter motors were on different sides. This allowed perkins to cash in by selling a kit to convert a petrol or TVO tractor to diesel with the P3.

John Maddock

I thought the grey fergie diesels had Freeman engines, not the same as the Standard engines fitted to the 35s

JV

Maico490

Quote Originally Posted by Orcadian View Post
    if all this failed you could use the starting handle if you were fit!!
    Has anyone ever started a TEF with the handle?

I did a brief spell at Listers many years back and can remember the manual starting instructions for a six cyl marine engine started with "Gather together as many strong men as possible"

DEX.

Hello
    need help please.
    what type of oil seal is used on a Perkins P3 rear crank seal. Tractor Ferguson TED .

Thank you .

It will have a rope seal.