Thread: ford 8340 injector pump timing

ford 8340 injector pump timing

do any body know witch way you need to rotate the injector pump to advance the timing on a ford 8340, i know it has maks 0 - 12 one way and o - 12 the other but witch way do it need to be turned to advance, standing looking at the back of the injector pump do it need to be moved clock wise or anti clock wise, i know a lot of you are going to say try it one way and if no change try the other but trying to move these pumps is not easy with every thing connect so i would like to know the correct way before i try it, it just seems very under powered and and the engine soon gets to normal running temp witch tells me it mite be retarded on the pump timing, any help would be handy thanks

Re: ford 8340 injector pump timing

Quote Originally Posted by ford 7840 View Post
    do any body know witch way you need to rotate the injector pump to advance the timing on a ford 8340, i know it has maks 0 - 12 one way and o - 12 the other but witch way do it need to be turned to advance, standing looking at the back of the injector pump do it need to be moved clock wise or anti clock wise, i know a lot of you are going to say try it one way and if no change try the other but trying to move these pumps is not easy with every thing connect so i would like to know the correct way before i try it, it just seems very under powered and and the engine soon gets to normal running temp witch tells me it mite be retarded on the pump timing, any help would be handy thanks
    Long time since looking at one, but the gut feeling is that the pump is fixed, its the gear to hub mounting that has to be altered? - I think you'd be looking at removing the access plate on the front of the timing cover to access the 3 hub bolts, then rotate the engine in the direction it runs (clockwise IIRC) if thats correct then having loosened the hub bolts you would need to turn the hub the same way as the engines direction of rotation to advance it.

Ideally you ought to find out the timing setting and the procedure to run through and then find out exactly where it is set? Otherwise your going to be playing Russian roulette?
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Unless the pump has been off before or always been wrong I would be cautious. Our 8340 warms up fairly quickly for a big 6l lump but it only over heats if the rads are dirty. They are old now and there could be a host of reasons for the engine being a bit flat . Does it smoke when pulling? Ours blue smokes a little at idle (particularly noticeable in certain light ) but has very little black smoke under load.
    I wonder if it would be better to start with a tappet check, filters and possibly an injector over haul?

hi guys i think you might of got your wires crossed, the pump has been off and done up but i can see on the markings on the steel back timing case that the timing of the pump is set on 0 but when things wear and get a a good few hrs on them this might not need to me set to 0 as the must be wear and back lash in the timing gears. all i was wanted to know was witch was to turn the pump to try to get it to pull, i will work all day hard with out never getting hotter than it should but just seems very light on power so rads etc all ok,

hi guys i think you might of got your wires crossed, the pump has been off and done up but i can see on the markings on the steel back timing case that the timing of the pump is set on 0 but when things wear and get a a good few hrs on them this might not need to me set to 0 as the must be wear and back lash in the timing gears. all i was wanted to know was witch was to turn the pump to try to get it to pull, i will work all day hard with out never getting hotter than it should but just seems very light on power so rads etc all ok,
    Ah! sorry yes wires crossed.

Out of interest why was the pump recon?

diesel getting into sump via front seal, like most older tractors seals they get old and hard and leak, ive not had it long but seems very under powered to my 7840, if no one knows witch way to move it i will just have to have a play with it but i do not think i will be able to tell any different if its not pulling any thing hence i asked before moving it cos i could go the wrong way.

Have to be honest and say I''m pretty sure I've never taken a pump off a 40 series, but even without seeing it, could the markings be for another model in the range that may use those marks? I'm pretty sure that Ford would still of been fitting the pump and then setting timing by the flywheel marks using the pump gear bolts loose and therby take up any slack/wear providing you keep it turning in the direction of rotation??
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......