Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 74 of 74

Thread: Should I jump on board?

  1. #61
    FarmerDan
    Guest

    Re: Should I jump on board?

    Quote Originally Posted by Elmsted View Post
    So if I can as so often posted and acknowledged make a greater profit with 6 tonnes per hectare which is around 95% OF MAX GENETIC POTENTIAL. And yet your calculation is based upon cost per hectare and make less on 12 tonnes per hectare ( Of wheat ) then I suggest you might be as you say wrong.

    Regards.
    This is tiresome. You don't know everything.

    I have a first class degree in maths, a large amount of experience working in management accounts for a multinational company and enough experience in farming to tell you to check your workings.

    My calculation is not based on cost per hectare. It's based on profit per hectare and marginal cost per additional tonne which is the additional cost incurred to produce yield over and above my current level. Hence if I can grow 5 tonnes of rape at a cost of say 150 per tonne and 6 tonnes of rape at an additional cost of x, then it is worth doing providing that my sale price per tonne is greater than x. However if x is greater than 150/t then I have increased my cost of production per tonne to (750+x)/6, but my profit is higher. QED

    Always with the proviso that my farming methods are sustainable of course.

    You dig?

  2. #62
    Andrew Kerr
    Guest

    Re: Should I jump on board?

    Quote Originally Posted by Johndeere View Post
    Which is best and for what reason?

    JD,

    They are both good drills, but i prefer the deeper working potential and the contour following ability of the Mzuri for my situation. The rear press wheel can be helpful in maintaining even depth and retaining moisture too.You can also spec a grain/fert version if you want, and hopper sizes are bigger on the trailed model.
    However, Claydons are currently easier to pull and offer more choice of drilling coulters and sowing width.Both firms are great to deal with.

    With both drills you can "bust" the soil to a greater or lesser degree, so Dads argument is not totally valid IMO.

  3. #63
    mbsrhol
    Guest

    Re: Should I jump on board?

    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerDan View Post
    This is tiresome. You don't know everything.

    I have a first class degree in maths, a large amount of experience working in management accounts for a multinational company and enough experience in farming to tell you to check your workings.

    My calculation is not based on cost per hectare. It's based on profit per hectare and marginal cost per additional tonne which is the additional cost incurred to produce yield over and above my current level. Hence if I can grow 5 tonnes of rape at a cost of say 150 per tonne and 6 tonnes of rape at an additional cost of x, then it is worth doing providing that my sale price per tonne is greater than x. However if x is greater than 150/t then I have increased my cost of production per tonne to (750+x)/6, but my profit is higher. QED

    Always with the proviso that my farming methods are sustainable of course.

    You dig?
    To be fair to Elmsted he recognises his realistic potential yield and budgets according to that. While in the UK there is a tendency to budget for a max yield, so spending for 12t and routinely achieving 9t.

  4. #64
    Johndeere
    Guest

    Re: Should I jump on board?

    Just returned from a great afternoon at mzuri with Martin and Will, really interesting and the crops look great, Martin is very passionate and a really top bloke. If anyone's thinking about a mzuri then you should go and spend some time there. Mrs L's hospitality wasnt bad either

  5. #65
    marco
    Guest

    Re: Should I jump on board?

    what are the prices like?

  6. #66
    Johndeere
    Guest

    Re: Should I jump on board?

    Quote Originally Posted by marco View Post
    what are the prices like?
    33k 3mtr mounted
    40k 3mtr trailed
    49k 4mtr trailed

    Like the idea of variable rate fert down the spout

  7. #67
    marco
    Guest

    Re: Should I jump on board?

    what do you need hp wise? 200hp for 3meter?

  8. #68
    Johndeere
    Guest

    Re: Should I jump on board?

    Quote Originally Posted by marco View Post
    what do you need hp wise? 200hp for 3meter?
    Yes you do really, going to claydons Friday but mzuri will take some beating

  9. #69
    Shutesy
    Guest

    Re: Should I jump on board?

    Quote Originally Posted by Johndeere View Post
    Yes you do really, going to claydons Friday but mzuri will take some beating
    Obviously its the front legs on the Mzuri which take the pulling, hence the hp requirement, did Martin talk about whether the legs needed to be deep enough to always require 200hp or perhaps after 2/3 years where the soil has begn to improve the legs could be lifted out a bit and then might only need 170/180hp?

  10. #70
    Andrew Kerr
    Guest

    Re: Should I jump on board?

    It is easy to reduce draft with a Mzuri, either run shallower or cut the front points wings off.
    However i prefer the ability to work deeper and shatter soil better, esp for rape.

  11. #71
    Johndeere
    Guest

    Re: Should I jump on board?

    Continued my wet week tour of strip tilled drills and went to claydons today, Met another really nice bloke in Geoff Claydon and there is plenty going on with lots of drills ready to be delivered and a full order book for drills and rakes, so he must be doing something right. Also saw a hybrid on the back of a weaving caddy which looked tidy. Geoff held my arm behind my back to try and get a deal but need to think some more first. Crops looked good and tramlines travel well. Hope to do some work next week.

  12. #72
    strip-till-phil
    Guest

    Re: Should I jump on board?

    Did your Dad accompany you on your travels?

    If so....did you convert him

  13. #73
    Johndeere
    Guest

    Re: Should I jump on board?

    Quote Originally Posted by no-till-phil View Post
    Did your Dad accompany you on your travels?

    If so....did you convert him
    Dad will go anywhere for a free lunch! Is he converted? Maybe! Saw your poster in the sales office

  14. #74
    Willscale
    Guest

    Re: Should I jump on board?

    Quote Originally Posted by Johndeere View Post
    Continued my wet week tour of strip tilled drills and went to claydons today, Met another really nice bloke in Geoff Claydon and there is plenty going on with lots of drills ready to be delivered and a full order book for drills and rakes, so he must be doing something right. Also saw a hybrid on the back of a weaving caddy which looked tidy. Geoff held my arm behind my back to try and get a deal but need to think some more first. Crops looked good and tramlines travel well. Hope to do some work next week.
    Take your time on it. Don't rush. Spending a year reading this forum, making friends with people on here and speaking to them and wait a good 12 months before getting a drill. You'll have a clearer idea of where your heading then.

    Any keen direct driller on this forum will get any drill to work no matter what the colour so don't feel it has to be any one machine. But the point is DD is viable.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •