Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RHI

Re: RHI

We'll have to wait & see, but . . .

with a big boiler Dragon/Farm2000/GlenFarrow you could burn coppiced timber (truly renewable) from your own farm, apart from chainsawing it into cordwood, it's carbon neutral
    or
    you have a chip boiler, your wood relies on power to transport it to chipper (and fuel miles !), lots of power to chip it, then more power to deliver it to boiler, then maybe more power to put it in the boiler ?

which is the most environmentally sound ?

What the heck can be fiited to these flues to reduce these oxides if they got to be controlled?
    Wonder if Dragon will sell a retrofit ' thing'.
    Most probally mega dollars again???

Got our accreditation email
    we're in

Quote Originally Posted by rogerm View Post
    we're in
    How long has it taken from start to finish? I have had my application in for two weeks now.

Quote Originally Posted by sledgeit View Post
    How long has it taken from start to finish? I have had my application in for two weeks now.
    From Start you mean?
    Months, and Months.
    Depends if you, and your people have got all the relavant info, details, paperwork, reports, photo's, maps,plans, etc.etc.???

Quote Originally Posted by rogerm View Post
    we're in
    FANTASTIC-WELL DONE TO YOU.

[QUOTE=RGT;155853]From Start you mean?

No I mean from the day you submit your application

I first submitted end Feb, it took longer than it might have done because I scanned stuff & sent it them, not in PDF (because I didn't know how to ) so I had to learn how to do that, then I emailed it to them & they uploaded it for me.
    They were very helpful. As it went on I learned how to upload extra stuff they needed & send it to them. Also there was a slight clerical error in my IMR, which was soon put right. The biggest delay was due to the fact I had a rare "flow" heat meter (they are nearly always "return") fitted in the return position. I had to wait a week for the software engineer to come out & plug his laptop in for 5 minutes to change it, then wait another week for him to give me an official report saying he'd done it
    Our system is complex with 8 meters in total. Having done ours in less than 8 weeks with these hiccups, I would think 4-6 weeks is achievable with luck on your side ?
    I did ring them frequently to see if I had sent them what they required and to check "the ball was in their court"
    they were very helpful
    I have learned a lot about computers since first applying

Thanks for the reply Rogerm, I am lucky to have a son who is a whiz kid on the computer and has sent all the required info on pdf for me. Hope to get through the accredication process before too long.

Whats the way with that then?
    Filtration, water baths, mesh gauzes?
    Carbon/characoals or what?
    Don't see ANY manufacturer of Biomass Boilers, Flues etc. making OR selling these items yet???

Hypothetically speaking, if say I was to install a grain drying floor and use a biomass boiler to dry grain for a couple of months during summer, while at the same time hook the boiler into our house, could this qualify for RHI?

Or am I going to have to convert one of the barn's into an office as well? (Which we are looking at)

Would really like to install a biomass boiler. we already have a willow plantation grown for a local co-op but there isnt much money in it. Would prefer to use it ourselves. Also have a Gaia 11kw turbine, operation 3 years now and going well. Had thought about accumulator tanks, but more immediate thought is to try and use the willow on farm.

Its all to do with non domestic proof through, rates bills, etc, if you have holiday cottages, other, rateable buildings,and then if house, qualifing, buildings that the rhi requirements dictate, and all linked up, metered,independant inspected, etc.etc, then you can get it-Easy, ant'it ???
    Would help if you put your location in as maybe someone close to you with an accredited set up that you can pop and see?

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboysupper View Post
    Hypothetically speaking, if say I was to install a grain drying floor and use a biomass boiler to dry grain for a couple of months during summer, while at the same time hook the boiler into our house, could this qualify for RHI?

Or am I going to have to convert one of the barn's into an office as well? (Which we are looking at)

Would really like to install a biomass boiler. we already have a willow plantation grown for a local co-op but there isnt much money in it. Would prefer to use it ourselves. Also have a Gaia 11kw turbine, operation 3 years now and going well. Had thought about accumulator tanks, but more immediate thought is to try and use the willow on farm.
    Sounds ok to me contact them & ask them
    http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/e-serve/RHI/Pages/RHI.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by RGT View Post
    Its all to do with non domestic proof through, rates bills, etc, if you have holiday cottages, other, rateable buildings,and then if house, qualifing, buildings that the rhi requirements dictate, and all linked up, metered,independant inspected, etc.etc, then you can get it-Easy, ant'it ???
    Would help if you put your location in as maybe someone close to you with an accredited set up that you can pop and see?
    Ah forgot to stick on location on this forum...tis on the other FF.

RHI only begun in NI about six or seven months ago, I would be presuming there are relatively few examples of farms claiming RHI over here....could be wrong.

We don't have holiday cottages or any other rentable buildings on the farm. I wasn't completely clear on whether standard agri enterprises would qualify or whether it needed to be linked into some sort of diversified business. A lot of the case studies online seem to include farms with holiday cottages or other sorts of rented property, offices, etc.

For those in RHI would you consider the application/monitoring process a bit of challenge in comparison with say ROCs/FIT? With the assistance of OFGEM I didnt think the ROCs processing is too difficult, but finding RHI a little more tricky to get my head round.

poultry sheds qualify for rhi, cant see why a grain drier shouldn't. and once you have a 'commercial' boiler you can join any property onto it. for solar you would need an EPC certificate on the property to get full tarrif not so with rhi.
    There is a list of disallowed uses, outdoor swimming pools and the like.

Cowboysupper- The on going items so far seem ok, geting it, and all the required hoops you got to go through, and tick off is the bad bit, BUT Ofgem all upgrading and getting MUCH better with it all, and have been told, I think , as so relativally low up take, to get things going a bit ?

Don't know why Northern Ireland Not the same as us with RHI ?
    Turbo Boiler big over there ant They? See him round all the shows?With his boiler on his Transit Van.

Treblesykes- Don't know about Poultry shed-everyone says yes but how do you provide the Non Domestic Rates Bill copy for those???
    Think swimming pools are eligible as long as indoors in an eligible building???

Swimming pools are not eligible regardless of the building or the use of the pool, a poultry shed will be ok, this type of building is excempt from rates as all agricultural are.

all these tarrif rules are flexible, eg solar on a dutchbarn no EPC required.
    I think as its a poultry shed then its obviously non domestic nothing to prove
    hope i dont have to start paying bussiness rates on poultry in order to claim a tarrif

Swimming pools are not eligible regardless of the building or the use of the pool, a poultry shed will be ok, this type of building is excempt from rates as all agricultural are.
    There was an article in the farmers weekly a while ago about some holiday farm on exmoor that claimed on their system with an outdoor spa attached but the heat loss there was colosal and was deducted anyhow as outside, but with all these renewable incentives, its how you intruprate, the rules intruprate,and inspectors inturprate when they come knocking. ???

yes swimming pools are eligible if they are indoors and part of a holiday let

What about second hand boilers?
    An article in 2wks ago FW about farm with school classrooms on it was claiming on a system with a second hand biomass boiler for rhi payments???

I'm sure you have to buy new to get RHI

Thats what I thought, but article stated it ?, and received a grant ?

boilers arrived today. 3 containers 5 boilers . silos tomorrow then lots of plumbing to do

How many mkw is that?
    Looks big!

97 kw per heater

Is it easier to have so many smallers ones than 1 larger one?

concerns over reliability leads to having several boilers on poultry sites, I guess us growers are used to having several propane heaters per shed, one of them usually playing up at any onetime , breakdowns are not acceptable with young chicks, also we can site the boilers nearer to each shed reducing underground pipe expenses and heat losses.

smaller boilers also maximise the tarriff

like the portable/shipping container idea? All pre installed, etc. just connect up externally, and raise the flues?

yes just add a water supply, 3 phase,then join the augers from the feed bins and connect up the hot water pipes. bins arrived today 13 tonnes per boiler. some containers have the fuel store and augers internally. I prefer the seperate bins.