Thread: Manitou 627 Hub Issue

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Manitou 627 Hub Issue

Hi i have a Manitou 627 (2007/2008) which has just developed a creeking sound from the front left wheel when on full lock. Im guessing first thing to try would be change the hub oil all round? Can anyone confirm a brand and rating please?

Re: Manitou 627 Hub Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Skip Hire View Post
    Hi i have a Manitou 627 (2007/2008) which has just developed a creeking sound from the front left wheel when on full lock. Im guessing first thing to try would be change the hub oil all round? Can anyone confirm a brand and rating please?

Morris oils EP80w-90 gear oil. Do it every 300hrs when the engine oil & filter is due- oil is cheap and changing it regularly will give you an early insight to a failing wheel bearing, although over just 300hrs there can be a considerable amount of glittery-grey stuff that comes out with the oil just from the hub reduction gears and bearing rollers, once you are used to this then you should be able to spot a real grey liquid mercury oil boding bad news in the offing.

Assuming there is some oil in it, it could be the strain of full lock on the wheel bearing? dry/worn king pin taper roller bearings? or lack of oil + the reduction gears are failing- add full lock and the transmission wind-up because of no interaxle diff could be enough to make it sound at full lock? Or could it just be the driveshaft UJ's ???
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Where is Ace ?

Drive shaft joint would be an easy first check.

Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    Where is Ace ?

Drive shaft joint would be an easy first check.
    I'm here just busy

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Morris oils EP80w-90 gear oil. Do it every 300hrs when the engine oil & filter is due- oil is cheap and changing it regularly will give you an early insight to a failing wheel bearing, although over just 300hrs there can be a considerable amount of glittery-grey stuff that comes out with the oil just from the hub reduction gears and bearing rollers, once you are used to this then you should be able to spot a real grey liquid mercury oil boding bad news in the offing.

Assuming there is some oil in it, it could be the strain of full lock on the wheel bearing? dry/worn king pin taper roller bearings? or lack of oil + the reduction gears are failing- add full lock and the transmission wind-up because of no interaxle diff could be enough to make it sound at full lock? Or could it just be the driveshaft UJ's ???
    Cheers oil ordered and picking up tomorrow. Strange thing is today not a creek out of it however i did notice the tyre was fairly flat @ (20 psi) a dam screw as usual. Would an unnoticed fairly soft tyre cause this issue by any chance?

Cheers oil ordered and picking up tomorrow. Strange thing is today not a creek out of it however i did notice the tyre was fairly flat @ (20 psi) a dam screw as usual. Would an unnoticed fairly soft tyre cause this issue by any chance?
    May have been limited slip diff in front axle or brakes? An oil change using genuine Manitou axle oil will normally cure that. Oil in hubs isn't to critical normal EP80-90 is fine from any brand.

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    May have been limited slip diff in front axle or brakes? An oil change using genuine Manitou axle oil will normally cure that. Oil in hubs isn't to critical normal EP80-90 is fine from any brand.
    Just changed the hub oil this weekend will give it a good test on Monday. What rating oil would i be after for the front axle and is there a sequence to the 3 bolts ?? Cheers/

Just changed the hub oil this weekend will give it a good test on Monday. What rating oil would i be after for the front axle and is there a sequence to the 3 bolts ?? Cheers/
    Morris oils do - http://www.whatoildoineed.com/ look under agricultral/telescopic or it may find 627 as a search.

Because of the limited slip diff and inboard brakes you need an anti-squak oil, you can use thw oil used in modern tractor wet multi clutch transmissions, but I prefer a gear oil which we keep to use in our JCB456zx axles and is more than the manitou specs. The wrong grade oil can make the multi plates in both the LSD and brakes chatter as they keep grabbing which the wrong grade of oil may cause.
    Same oil is used in the rear axle so plan to do that as well

As for bungs, I can vouch for Andrews advice to remove the top bung first just to let the pressure out which these axles seem to run at, the bottom one is the drain obviously........the middle one is the level, but removing it first can lead to a fair old splat of oil usually over the arms and face
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

The oil I recommend is genuine Manitou oil "special wet brake lubricant" there are other oil brands that claim to do the job but they don't always work!

If I was to have to recommend a non branded genuine oil it would have to be Fuchs Titan LS90 or Morris terrain LS90 this is on the basis that the UK service centre for these axles uses the fuchs LS90 in them and morris version of it is there new Terrain LS90 which is not to be confused with Morris XEP90 which is more of an automotive grade and not a heavy duty commercial grade, morris tech support words not mine!

I have used a lot of Morris XEP90 in the past and it wasn't good enough for these axles or the older versions of it. Most of the time it was okay but kept getting the odd one that didn't like it, same when using Morris JDF, Terrain TBX and Shell TMX S4 back end oil, okay in some and not others which is why I only use the genuine Manitou oil in the dana axles now as it never gives me any trouble.

Currently using Morris Terrain LS90 in the older clark Hurth axles and carraro as used on matbros, seems a lot better than XEP90 so far.

Drain/Level and filler bungs you mean on axle?

if you look closer there are 3 drain bungs, 1 in the centre and 2 underneath one each side.

there are 2 level bungs one front and one back, you only need to remove the one.

and 1 filler bung near the top.

Also a 627 has a drop box on the back of the front axle, to the untrained eye one would assume it would share the same oil as front axle but it doesn't! There is an oil seal between the 2, so the drop box has its own drain and combined filler/level bung and uses normal EP80-90 gear oil like the hubs.

Hello

Obviously check oil level but if it making a noise chances are it needs alot more than just oil.

Jack it up check play on wheel bearings and king pins etc and track rod ends as they get dry and make squeaky noises.

Check the double uj joints for wear.

All these parts need to be replaced striaght away or you will have problems possibly very big expensive problems.

I do have some second hand hub parts if needed.

Ideally you need footsfitter to switch on you private messages cause i get told off for putting direct links to me.

Changed hub oil today, all levels were ok however fair to say the old oil was well past its best. Will test on Monday see if its solved issue.