Thread: Ashes out of wood burning stove!!

Diesel Burner

Ashes out of wood burning stove!!

How do you all clean yours out

Mines is hellish bad for clouds of dust/ashes when taking the tray out the bottom and sliding it into a metal bucket

Can get away for 3 days without cleaning out but then it needs done just a pain in the arse as it makes so much mess with the dust ect

Cheers DB

applesquasher

Re: Ashes out of wood burning stove!!

Wouldn't say it was hellish bad but then I might not be quite that houseproud as some.

RGSP

We have a flattish galvanised box with lid, big enough to take the whole ash tray out of the stove. Put the ash tray in, close the lid, invert everything and shake, wait a minute for the dust to settle inside, take the tray out. Job done. It's a commercial box which I think goes by the name of "Tippy".

recoil

I empty our ash pan outside. You've just got to be careful not to drop any on the way out or get a gust of wind blow it into your face.

si-mate

Into a large carrier bag and slide the contents out rather than tipping them out.

4wd

Definitely wouldn't be tipping the tray out indoors.
    Usually just carry the whole thing outside when hopefully not too windy.

RGSP

Just checked and found that "Tippys" are still very much available. They really do work very well, and avoid carrying an open ash tray around, indoors or out.
    http://www.tippyash.co.uk/

crazy frog

Quote Originally Posted by si-mate View Post
    Into a large carrier bag and slide the contents out rather than tipping them out.
    this cant be easy when the stove hasnt been out for several days ??

crazy

brynseiri

We have a Charnwood multifuel stove, and it is a piece of sh1t as far as the actual build is. There is no way, in the pit of hell, that the fire bricks can be retained with cement or glue. But the suitcase for emptying the ash is good, but needs practise to get right, and also moving very slowly helps minimise dust. Only other thing is to have a dust extrator in the fireplace!

Gee

Diesel Burner

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post

Now that looks just the job Gee!!

Do you have one? Up to the job?

Cheers DB

Sh3pherdess

I thought you weren't meant to empty them out

We never do unless chimney being swept. The over flow comes out the front in a pile and I just carefully sweep them into a dustpan and decant into a plastic bag. Our stove is never out in the winter so you couldn't empty it anyway and it doesn't have a tray either :lolk:

Gee

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Burner View Post

Cheers DB
    No, was looking for the one that uses the domestic vacumn, but that came up instead .
    As long it is just ash dust should be ok, and cool!!!!!!!!
    Gee
    Amazon reviews are pRetty poor

treblesykes

I use a fire blanket, lay it on the hearth, pull pan out lay on blanket, wrap blanket over pan, carry the lot outside. tip pan shake blanket done.

hilly bill

Quote Originally Posted by brynseiri View Post
    We have a Charnwood multifuel stove, and it is a piece of sh1t as far as the actual build is. There is no way, in the pit of hell, that the fire bricks can be retained with cement or glue. But the suitcase for emptying the ash is good, but needs practise to get right, and also moving very slowly helps minimise dust. Only other thing is to have a dust extrator in the fireplace!
    Scrap it and get one of these http://www.dowlingstoves.com/sumo-multifuel-stoves.asp

hollister

we have one of the ones that uses your vacuum cleaner, works well, doesn't stop all the dust getting through to the vax though. So we now have a devoted vacuum, so buying a combined unit would be better

farfrae

Quote Originally Posted by brynseiri View Post
    We have a Charnwood multifuel stove, and it is a piece of sh1t as far as the actual build is.

Which model do you have. I used to have a Charnwood in our old house and it was great. Thinking of getting another so the model you are having problems with would be helpful!

friar

Badshot

I can't really see the point of these things if you keep the fire going 24 hrs a day, the ash will never be cool. Mine would still be capable of getting going again with a good stir up after 48 hrs sometimes, especially if I've been burning hornbeam.
    I have a galvanised bucket which I put the excess ash into, there is always 3-4 inches in the bottom of it. I have one if the little shovels to dig it out with. Sits outside till the ash is cooled then goes into dustbins to go on the veggie garden when I work it in the spring. If it's full of nails it gets sieved first.

Panzer III

The charnwood ash pan fits inside doubled up supermarket carrier bags, and as long as it is done on the hearth right in front of the open doors, then the draw of the lum takes care of any stray ash. Just make sure you do a tight reef knot in the handles before walking it through the house...

Ad

If youre only burning wood take the grate out and light your wood on the bottom of the stove with a few ashes on to protect the base the wood burns hotter and cleaner and the ashes last about 7 days before it needs cleaning, i use carrier bags & fire shovel as close to the stove as possible then the draw sucks any dust up the chimney, tie the top of the bag.

Works for me

Sh3pherdess

Found the ash vacuum a bit cheaper on fleabay and free delivery.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2607893032...84.m1439.l2649

This arrived today, cannot recommend it highly enough, bloomin faab!!

Courier

Better without a grate and an ashpan for wood burning. Once a fortnignt should be enough depending on the quality of the wood.

Exfarmer

Grainstore vac and long hose through the window

job done

Benwales

We scrape out our Charnwood Country4 every day. It dosen't seem to draw properly if it's full of ash. Just scrape it out into the pan and carry outside - not much of a prob, so long as it's not windy.

lost_in_paperwork

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Burner View Post

Cheers DB
    Have one of these, 15 from Aldi - simply idea but the filters block up with dust straight away so hopeless!!! Would not recommend

4wd

I remember trying to imitate the vacuum sweep when doing it myself and that didn't work too good either.
    I think even if the filters don't block or let some fine stuff through somehow, the increased air movement in the room is not generally a good thing.