Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disastrous Day

Clive Tee

Disastrous Day

I was walking the fields today and a ewe came over to me clearly in distress and asking where her lamb had gone, you know how they do. Even though I had 3 dogs with me she just came straight over, pleading, totally unafraid of the dogs. I looked over towards where she had come from and saw that a heavy concrete lid on a well in the middle of the field had been slid back. Went over to find the well open and full of dead lambs. I'll never forget looking down into that well, it was one of the most horrific things I have seen and that's saying quite a lot.

We pulled them out with a gaff, 48 in all. There was just 150 lambs in that field, so nearly 1 in 3 down the well. I can't see how a 1 metre square 4" thick concrete slab had been moved 1 metre, by sheep, and placed neatly just so the whole well was exposed, so it looks, sadly, like human involvement. Don't know whether we're insured, I'll find out tomorrow, but can't say I care much either.

I was in that field till 8 pm last night dealing with a ewe with staggers and trying to catch her twin lambs, and there was nothing untoward and loads of lambs about. But this morning you could see there weren't enough lambs for the ewes. So I reckon it happened last night or this morning. All the lambs are fresh, nothing decayed at all.

Tomorrow I'm going to go down there and fill that well with rubble.

gone up the hill

Re: Disastrous Day

Heart rendering, shame you cant catch the scum that did it and throw them down the damn thing!!!

Suprising so many lambs fell in in such a short time thou... hope what im thinking isnt true ( that the people that moved the lid done more than that!! )

More than likely kids that did it as a laugh..

Doesnt help but can you claim on the insurance for the lambs??

update (just re read your post ref insurance )

Is THE FIELD isolated or near a village/town??

Poorbuthappy

I feel for you Clive, that must have been gut wrenching - such needless loss. Nothing more I can say really...

bottg

That is horrendous. Are there tiremarks in the field? Any sign of people moving it?

Was it full of water, and so the lambs drowned? It is somewhat surprising they all just "fell in". Probably worth reporting to the police.

yeldarb

Clive, Ive sat here and read your post and even I have a empty hollow feeling in he pit of my stomach, I feel for you and your ewes a terrible thing to happen, I think some days Ive had a rotten day but that must have been terrible so so sorry for your loss.

Old Tip

Thats terrible, bad enough to lose one but forty eight is beyond belif and enough to really sicken anyone. You wonder why but i guess when they are runing round playing they copy each other what ever they do.

I will never forgot a long time ago when i was working at the mart at the end of the day we would run some of the fat lambs into the mart feilds to overnight ready to be picked up later the next day. This one night the canal was frozen with a slight dusting of snow and before we knew what was happening 200 hoggs were running on to the ice. They went a long way and then a few fell through and all the others just followed to the hole and kept droping in one after the other. We got some off and comendered some boats and dragged a few out still alive but the vets put a lot of them down the next day(dont know why). I dont want to ever see anything like that again, nearly as bad as when i was rounding up my own healthy sheep and lambs to be shot in F&M.

I know it wont help but comisarations, a sad day indeed.

Poorbuthappy

Its no comfort, but if someone had moved the cover, I could quite imagine lambs gathering and playing on the slab, then falling in 1 after the other.
    For someone to have put them in, they'd have needed dogs to gather/catch them surely.

tanker

Awful business.., we lost an in-calf heifer in a similar fashion a few years ago.It was our fault since a mower had hit the lid of the well in the dark and we neglected to slide it back and paid the price a month later.A pretty grim task to get her out though....Seems rather odd that so many of your lambs ended up down there so quickly..

KILDARE

Thats terrible thing to happen Clive. sickning.

Had lambs in a shed one year with round bales stacked on their flat. lambs got up on the bales and fell down between the bales. terrible to pull out big strong lambs dead.

johnny400

Feel for you clive. Sorry to read this. Had quite a few bad days this lambing but none come near this.

Dad has a sayin "sheep follow sheep".

Clive Tee

It would have been impossible for someone to have thrown them in, it's a 17 acre field with the well smack in the middle. I think someone has removed the lid and the lambs have then crowded around and jumped or slipped in one after the other.

We've got the ewes and remaining lambs in a bare field now, and will sort out ones without lambs tomorrow and treat for potential mastitis etc. Oh what a day!

Greysides

Quote Originally Posted by yeldarb View Post
    Clive, Ive sat here and read your post and even I have a empty hollow feeling in he pit of my stomach, I feel for you and your ewes a terrible thing to happen, I think some days Ive had a rotten day but that must have been terrible so so sorry for your loss.
    My feelings exactly.

yeldarb

Is there a footpath through the field ?

onlyone gazza

sorry to here about what happened, all the best and i hope things get better

skoda

Very Sorry hear this Clive .

Yale

Its bad enough finding one dead that has been mischevious and got into trouble,but this is spirit crushing.

If someone has done this maliciously it would be too good for them to be thrown in the well and the cover replaced.

GenuineRisk

Jeez, so sorry to read this, Clive Tee - what a devasting experience. So sorry for you and your ewes.

llamedos

What more can be said, gutted for you

JohnGalway

Quote Originally Posted by llamedos View Post
    What more can be said, gutted for you
    Same here, I'm struggling for words with this, very sorry to hear this has happened Clive.

andybk

Thoughts are with you Clive , What a crushing blow, how very sad .:cry:

recoil

Terrible. Can't imagine how you felt realising what had happened. :cry:

ladycrofter

Absolutely devastating. Is there any chance the water board were out for a look and left it open?

Matthew

So very sorry Clive Tee. Devastating for you. I know this happens with turkeys - leave a bucket in the shed, or even a hollow area and one will jump in, followed by another, and another - So in the end only one remains standing on a pyramid of carcases.

Whoever moved that lid ........

pontyboy

So Sorry to read this!

Marches Farmer

I'm struggling to find the right words to type here and failing dismally .....

part_timer

I know how losing just one makes me feel, gutted......so how you must feel Clive, I can barely imagine, my heart goes out to you.

marsh_bor

:cry: Very very sorry, can't imagine what it was like for you dealing with this.
    Just terrible.

ajcc

Accidents happen. I'm sure who or whatever dislodged the lid had no idea of the tragic consequences.
    At least we're all reading this and mentally checking our own potential farm hazards this morning.

weldersunited

Gutted for you.

Nick K

You just get a total hollow feeling reading something like this. Just devastating!