Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 151 to 160 of 160

Thread: Disastrous Day

  1. #151
    llamedos
    Guest

    Re: Disastrous Day

    A lot of the old wells/pit breather shafts round here have either been capped or if only a relatively small entrance shaft have had what I would call machine blocks, put a top them, huge gretol lumps of square stone. about 2mtr sq.

    It may interest some of you to be aware of "urban explorers" who delight in investigating not only derelict buildings, but underground chambers/wells and the like, just for the heck of it.
    In the local press last week a horse fell victim to someone moving sleepers a top a well.

  2. #152
    Basilbrush
    Guest

    Re: Disastrous Day

    Quote Originally Posted by llamedos View Post
    A lot of the old wells/pit breather shafts round here have either been capped or if only a relatively small entrance shaft have had what I would call machine blocks, put a top them, huge gretol lumps of square stone. about 2mtr sq.

    It may interest some of you to be aware of "urban explorers" who delight in investigating not only derelict buildings, but underground chambers/wells and the like, just for the heck of it.
    In the local press last week a horse fell victim to someone moving sleepers a top a well.
    The problem with "urban explorers" is they don't have any idea of the consequences of their actions. They leave gates open without a second thought they park in gateways without a second thought & to be honest, some group of youths could have opened this well without giving a second thought that the lambs in the field might also investigate it & end up falling down the well. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, they simply don't understand what they're doing.

    BB

  3. #153
    llamedos
    Guest

    Re: Disastrous Day

    BB I agree but not everyone is aware of the existence and if you look on their forums, neither is it surprising the places then attract even less desirable groups to visit , with less good intention, their pictorial evidence there for all to see.

  4. #154
    OogieM
    Guest

    Re: Disastrous Day

    I cannot even begin to imagine how you feel. My sympathies and I hope you can find out how did this and get the insurance to pay for the lost lives.

  5. #155
    Benwales
    Guest

    Re: Disastrous Day

    Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    What would have happened if a child had gone into that field and ..... fallen in? (perhaps after someone else moved the lid. BW)
    Should one insure against such accidents?

    Wouldn't bring the child back, but at least one might stay in business.

  6. #156
    Poorbuthappy
    Guest

    Re: Disastrous Day

    Quote Originally Posted by Benwales View Post
    Should one insure against such accidents?

    Wouldn't bring the child back, but at least one might stay in business.
    We should all have public liability which would cover against such things.

  7. #157
    Clive Tee
    Guest

    Re: Disastrous Day

    Quote Originally Posted by Poorbuthappy View Post
    We should all have public liability which would cover against such things.
    But I wonder what the small print says? Someone was altering my fences a few years ago, so low that stock could very easily escape and get onto the road via another field.

    I was told, by the insurers I think, that if I did nothing then I would be responsible should an accident happen but if I did everything I reasonably could, then whoever altered the fence would be responsible. I involved the police because I wanted to, but I think I needed to just to make sure insurance cover stayed in place.

    Same with a well cover. How far do you go the make sure it's safe. A heavy cover, a lock, a lock and heavy cover? We've got 3 field drains/wells and 2 reservoirs. Three with heavy lids, 2 with covers and padlocks. None are impenetrable. I thought a heavy cover was sufficient as did every other farmer who has farmed here for decades, but clearly it wasn't!

  8. #158
    Benwales
    Guest

    Re: Disastrous Day

    Quote Originally Posted by Clive Tee View Post
    Same with a well cover. How far do you go the make sure it's safe. A heavy cover, a lock, a lock and heavy cover? We've got 3 field drains/wells and 2 reservoirs. Three with heavy lids, 2 with covers and padlocks. None are impenetrable.
    Whatever precautions you do take, prob a good idea to take photos as evidence, should something go wrong later. EG we have been advised to do this for 'keep out' signs, as evidence that we put them up.

  9. #159
    clover
    Guest

    Re: Disastrous Day

    Its up to "them" to prove you were negligent.If you cover the well with a heavy lid,and inspect it annually,then I think it would be very difficult for you to be proved negligent.If you have a river flowing through your property,are you expected to erect security fencing to keep trespassers out of it?

  10. #160
    Marches Farmer
    Guest

    Re: Disastrous Day

    As it happens we have 5m of public liability cover because of the farm holiday cottage but a couple of winters ago I found a couple of 12 year old girls plus dog (not on lead) at the end of the field next to the in lamb ewes, playing on a very slippery 20m high 1 in 3 mud slope at the side of a stream. No footpaths on the farm, lucky I heard them because the field was shut up ready for turnout. "Oh, aren't we allowed here ...?"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •