Thread: Ewe Lameness

Ewe Lameness

Hi,

I'm posting this for a friend who has an in lamb ewe which appears to be regularly lame. There's no sign of rot or infection apparently.

She was regularly lame before getting in lamb so I assume it isn't connected to pregnancy hormones.

I assumed it was just 'one of those animals' and it may need to be culled but I think he wants to explore all options beforehand.

Re: Ewe Lameness

There seems to have been a lot of questions about lameness lately, so I have what might be a dumb question (or an opportunity for a researcher ).

In humans, conditions such as Diabetes, Heart Disease, ... seem to be genetic (run in families) - is there any correlation to lameness in sheep? or other ailments?

Arthritis from some previous joint damage ?

I discovered last year that Zwartbles sheep can have sweet itch, an allergic reaction to midge bites that affects horses. It seems that quite a few of the inital imports suffered from this problem and that it runs in families. Most of the problem has been culled out of the breed but there are still some outcrops that turn up.

The vets seem to think that the predeliction to footrot is hereditary and recommend culling for that trait.