Thread: importing from ireland

importing from ireland

Hi guys, 2 years ago i bought my current 7840 from an irish dealer and now im looking to go slightly bigger!!
    the reason i went shopping across the pond back then was because we arent vat registered!
    now i didnt have to pay any vat on import for the tractor but as it turns out the tractor was vat free in ireland anyway!
    so the question i have is, as a non vat registered individual do i have to pay vat on a second hand import if the tractor is +vat over there?

thanks

Re: importing from ireland

Quote Originally Posted by FordFan View Post
    Hi guys, 2 years ago i bought my current 7840 from an irish dealer and now im looking to go slightly bigger!!
    the reason i went shopping across the pond back then was because we arent vat registered!
    now i didnt have to pay any vat on import for the tractor but as it turns out the tractor was vat free in ireland anyway!
    so the question i have is, as a non vat registered individual do i have to pay vat on a second hand import if the tractor is +vat over there?

thanks
    If the tractor was "free of vat" in Ireland, it is because the previous owner was not vat registered and had therefor not reclaimed the vat when he purchased it. In that case you do not need to pay the vat. Revenue has already had it.

If you buy a tractor that is plus vat in Ireland, and you do not have vat registration, then the vat is paid and you do not have to pay it on import.

If you buy a plus vat tractor in Ireland and are vat registered, Irish seller will not charge you the vat but you must produce your vat reg certificate and number to the seller. When you go to sell this tractor on, then you must collect the vat from the buyer and pass it on to HM Customs & excise.

Thats my understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by robbie956xl View Post
    If the tractor was "free of vat" in Ireland, it is because the previous owner was not vat registered and had therefor not reclaimed the vat when he purchased it. In that case you do not need to pay the vat. Revenue has already had it.

If you buy a tractor that is plus vat in Ireland, and you do not have vat registration, then the vat is paid and you do not have to pay it on import.

If you buy a plus vat tractor in Ireland and are vat registered, Irish seller will not charge you the vat but you must produce your vat reg certificate and number to the seller. When you go to sell this tractor on, then you must collect the vat from the buyer and pass it on to HM Customs & excise.

Thats my understanding.
    I think your second clause is wrong.You are liable to pay the vat.If you are not registered the seller in Ireland would have to pay over the vat anyway,if caught?
    ??
    jack caley

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    I think your second clause is wrong.You are liable to pay the vat.If you are not registered the seller in Ireland would have to pay over the vat anyway,if caught?
    ??
    jack caley
    Maybe I did not word the second clause too well. What I meant is if a non vat registered UK buyer purchases a tractor in Ireland, and there is vat payable on the tractor, then the UK purchaser will have to pay the vat and the seller will then pass the vat on to revenue. On arrival in UK, there is no vat to pay. You do not have to pay vat twice.

Quote Originally Posted by robbie956xl View Post
    Maybe I did not word the second clause too well. What I meant is if a non vat registered UK buyer purchases a tractor in Ireland, and there is vat payable on the tractor, then the UK purchaser will have to pay the vat and the seller will then pass the vat on to revenue. On arrival in UK, there is no vat to pay. You do not have to pay vat twice.
    You got it right, we both sell to Ireland and buy
    jack caley