Thread: International 674

International 674

Hi everyone, looking for a bit of advice. Today I have purchased a international 674 which seemed to be in decent condition. After using it for a bit on the road I noticed that the steering is quite poor. Keeping it going in a straight line is awkward, and the play in the steering wheel is quite bad. I can't see any obvious issues with track rod ends, or anything like that. Also on occasions the power steering stops working and goes hard.

Any info would be appreciated, I'm New to internationals so don't really know my way around them.

Also so is the hydraulic oil just the standard stuff? Or does it have universal oil like my 35x

thanks

Re: International 674

We wait for Gapples re the steering going heavy but it might be something like a steering priority valve.

Regarding the the actual wobble: Have a second person rock the steering while you have a good look under the front end. I may not describe this very well but there is a type of yoke that carries the steering cylinder that can wear really badly (replaceable bushes top and bottom), particularly if lack of greasing. There could also be wear in the other end where there is a clevis arrangement. Also if the main axle pivot is poor the axles can tramp back and forth a little. Another thing I remember was our 74 series ran better on rib tyres rather than the secondhand commercial type tread that i used for a time. On the latter our 674 could go into a proper steering wobble.

The transmission oil is filled just above the top link and would have originally been IH Hytrans which is a dedicated tractor transmission oil combing the correct viscosity for the hydraulics, wear ability for the gears/bearing and anti sqwak for the oil immersed brakes. If you only need a small amount you could buy some modern Hytrans or possibly add a proper Universal Tractor Transmission Oil (UTTO). Dont use straight hydraulic, ep gear, or old style universal oils. If you were going to change the oil I would use a reasonably priced UTTO, I have used this on our Case IH 895 for years with out a problem. There is also a filter to change on the left side of the transmission behind the wheel.
    Does the hand brake work on yours? If it does look after it and make sure no one drives with it left on.

Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    We wait for Gapples re the steering going heavy but it might be something like a steering priority valve.

Regarding the the actual wobble: Have a second person rock the steering while you have a good look under the front end. I may not describe this very well but there is a type of yoke that carries the steering cylinder that can wear really badly (replaceable bushes top and bottom), particularly if lack of greasing. There could also be wear in the other end where there is a clevis arrangement. Also if the main axle pivot is poor the axles can tramp back and forth a little. Another thing I remember was our 74 series ran better on rib tyres rather than the secondhand commercial type tread that i used for a time. On the latter our 674 could go into a proper steering wobble.

The transmission oil is filled just above the top link and would have originally been IH Hytrans which is a dedicated tractor transmission oil combing the correct viscosity for the hydraulics, wear ability for the gears/bearing and anti sqwak for the oil immersed brakes. If you only need a small amount you could buy some modern Hytrans or possibly add a proper Universal Tractor Transmission Oil (UTTO). Dont use straight hydraulic, ep gear, or old style universal oils. If you were going to change the oil I would use a reasonably priced UTTO, I have used this on our Case IH 895 for years with out a problem. There is also a filter to change on the left side of the transmission behind the wheel.
    Does the hand brake work on yours? If it does look after it and make sure no one drives with it left on.
    hi Pete, thanks for the info, I have had a good look today and I have noticed quite a lot of play in what you say is the yoke that that has the steering ram attached. I'm guessing that there is a bush in there that needs replacing? With regards to steering getting heavy, I removed where you fill up the hydraulic oil ( was expecting some sort of dipstick, but no!) and looking in I couldn't see any oil in there. I added 5ltr but suspect it is nowhere enough, especially if you say it should be as full as the top link. But on the plus side I drove it for 5 mins and the steering never went heavy.

Hand brake ace works mint, wasn't expecting that it would. The tractor is in really good.... Original condition.

Thanks
    matt

Hi Matt,Do NOT fill up the back end to the toplink level! Pete just means that is where the oil is put into the tractor. There is a dipstick on the left side of the transmission tunnel,behind your left heel if sitting on the seat. If there's rubber matting,the dipstick may be behind it. If at some stage,you decide to change the trans' oil and filter,do not over tighten the filter bowl retaining bolt and oil capacity from empty,is around 35L.

Quote Originally Posted by agrimax View Post
    Hi Matt,Do NOT fill up the back end to the toplink level! Pete just means that is where the oil is put into the tractor. There is a dipstick on the left side of the transmission tunnel,behind your left heel if sitting on the seat. If there's rubber matting,the dipstick may be behind it. If at some stage,you decide to change the trans' oil and filter,do not over tighten the filter bowl retaining bolt and oil capacity from empty,is around 35L.
    Thanks for the info agrimax, found the dipstick and as thought, nothing on it. I had about 15 litres of otto oil, put in and it still is not showing on the dipstick. Look like getting another 25 litre drum tomorrow.

Matt

Well said agrimax that might have been a problem!