Thread: "Lazy" flowering OSR

Northdowns Farmer

"Lazy" flowering OSR

My Cabernet OSR appears to be backwards in flowering compared with other varieties and crops in the area. Cabernet was first to be harvested on farm last year. Excellium in same field is at least a week more advanced. Could the frosts in late March effected the flowers? I have noticed aborted sites on the main stem/higher branches.

ND

silverfox

Re: "Lazy" flowering OSR

Cabernet here last year was hit with the frost and had a lot of brown flower buds but the plant produced more flowers lower down the stem. And went on to yield quite well.
    A variety which has its followers even though it can give you some sleepless night's.

Minesapint

3rd year of growing Cabernet and every year say never again, its not a pretty variety to grow, never seems to flower well, never seems to set enough pods, is always uneven, BUT always seems to yield!! 140 acres of Fashion looks fantastic in comparison but no longer worry about how the Cabernet looks at this stage.

slejpner

I'm with the above 2.

Don't look AT it so much as look after it, and it will produce the goods.

Neddy Flanders

Quote Originally Posted by Northdowns Farmer View Post
    My Cabernet OSR appears to be backwards in flowering compared with other varieties and crops in the area. Cabernet was first to be harvested on farm last year. Excellium in same field is at least a week more advanced. Could the frosts in late March effected the flowers? I have noticed aborted sites on the main stem/higher branches.

ND
    Don't think its just Cabernet. Can't remember when rape took so long to come into flower. Applied insecticide to green buds four weeks ago, thinking it would flower within a week and now only 4-5 flowers open per stem. Night-time temps have been at or around zero for the whole of April. Could be the reason.

silverfox

Have a look a the different flowering stage's on these plot's .
    Can you name them ?
    1-12

watfordfrosty

bet the greenest one is marmite sorry i mean sesame should be ready to combine about mid october with a bit off luck:lolk:

Northdowns Farmer

Thanks for sharing experiences they have been a source of comfort! Now have just got to worry about getting T1 on wheat Oh the joys of sharing a sp sprayer and using liquid fert. Still at least SPS done.

ND

Ian01

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    My excalibur and expower is the same and seems to have been flowering for about a month and still not finished yet. Normally excalibur just flowers within 7-10 days but perhaps its the slow uptake of the N?
    Or the cold nights and dull days?

yellow belly

it is the cold temperature early flowers got the march heat to bring them on the later developing flowers have not had enough heat to get them to open

the long flowering period is not a good sign for rape yealds unless there is a warm sunny may /june yealds will not be barn busters

slejpner

Quote Originally Posted by yellow belly View Post
    it is the cold temperature early flowers got the march heat to bring them on the later developing flowers have not had enough heat to get them to open

the long flowering period is not a good sign for rape yealds unless there is a warm sunny may /june yealds will not be barn busters
    i agree, but as it seems we have to have the cold to get some of the wet stuff on balance i'm happy.

czechmate

Quote Originally Posted by yellow belly View Post

It was a long flowering period last year, esp the sesame:cry:

farmerblob

last year our flash was in flower for 5 or 6 weeks and yielded like i have never seen rape yield before so lets not worry just yet