Thread: Field Bean Storage

.Jack

Field Bean Storage

I thought of growing beans next season,
    Any one know of the recommended storage moisture to sell after a period of 6/7 months?
    Thanks

Bigred

Re: Field Bean Storage

Moisture requires to be 15%, if you are storing them that long you need to make sure you get them cool enough to take them through the winter.

Badshot

15% moisture on most contracts now, used to be 16% combined moisture and admix which worked better for me as the sample is normally nice and clean.

pylon dodger

15-16% idealy but will store at higher % if air can be put through them.

Problem is combining them at below 16%

davidroberts30

could you propcorn beans for animal feed???

.Jack

Thanks for that.
    15% ? that will take some meeting if that is right that means heavier drying
    thought this country was green with the cO2 ----less oils

Badshot

you don't have to meet that but be prepared for claims, mine were over this year after I gave up trying to dry them (they are buggers to dry), had claims for between 1.50 and 3/t, contract was 1.50/half percent, which sounds steep but really is cheap compared to drying the damn things sometimes. Just watch for a lot of greenery ending up in the sample as you'll only have to dry it too. Rape makes them stink which is not too much of a problem for feed but human consumption don't like it.

Khan

Quote Originally Posted by davidroberts30 View Post
    could you propcorn beans for animal feed???
    We propcorned the spring beans we held back for our own feed this year. The higher moisture helped them roll a bit easier I thought. The rest went through the drier and were a bas**** to dry, had to go through three times and very dirty.

davidroberts30

Quote Originally Posted by Khan View Post
    We propcorned the spring beans we held back for our own feed this year. The higher moisture helped them roll a bit easier I thought..
    were they ok??

Khan

Quote Originally Posted by davidroberts30 View Post
    were they ok??
    Stored fine. My agronomist said if they ae between 16-22% they might need rolled but mine were 24%. Put it on with a watering can the length of the mixer wagon, about 12ltr/tonne if i remember right.

davidroberts30

Quote Originally Posted by Khan View Post
    Stored fine. My agronomist said if they ae between 16-22% they might need rolled but mine were 24%. Put it on with a watering can, about 12ltr/tonne if i remember right.
    thanks