Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 62

Thread: Wind turbine planning appeal?

  1. #1
    sid
    Guest

    Wind turbine planning appeal?

    After a lengthy planning process we've had our endurance application turned down due to noise, although they never asked for more info, heritage, what ever that means??, and its not inkeeping with the area, which is subjective. Has anyone gone to appeal and what did they find the planning inspectorate decide? Any ideas gratefully recieved. All this on top of a similar turbine being erected within 2 miles of us and it sailed through! Think the planning authority are running scared!

  2. #2
    BigAndy
    Guest

    Re: Wind turbine planning appeal?

    There are several appeals in our area at the moment, all have gone for desk based appeal i.e no public enquiry and the basis of the appeal appears to be that the planners recommended for approval and the comittee turned it down. Doesn't cost anything and the report is written for them in the planners report to comittee.

    If they have turned you down based on noise and not suggested before hand that you needed to supply more info it could be more problematic, you get the chance to provide more info to the appeal. Did the planners recommend or not?

  3. #3
    sid
    Guest

    Re: Wind turbine planning appeal?

    Quote Originally Posted by BigAndy View Post
    There are several appeals in our area at the moment, all have gone for desk based appeal i.e no public enquiry and the basis of the appeal appears to be that the planners recommended for approval and the comittee turned it down. Doesn't cost anything and the report is written for them in the planners report to comittee.

    If they have turned you down based on noise and not suggested before hand that you needed to supply more info it could be more problematic, you get the chance to provide more info to the appeal. Did the planners recommend or not?
    Planning officer refused. Pressure from above me thinks!

  4. #4
    BigAndy
    Guest

    Re: Wind turbine planning appeal?

    Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    Planning officer refused. Pressure from above me thinks!
    So have you withdrawn application prior to comittee?

  5. #5
    porterswood
    Guest

    Re: Wind turbine planning appeal?

    My planning permission was granted by the planning officer not the comittee. Which I thought was unsual for a wind turbine, but the application had NO objections.

  6. #6
    BigAndy
    Guest

    Re: Wind turbine planning appeal?

    Quote Originally Posted by porterswood View Post
    My planning permission was granted by the planning officer not the comittee. Which I thought was unsual for a wind turbine, but the application had NO objections.
    It is unusual what you got permission for?

  7. #7
    sid
    Guest

    Re: Wind turbine planning appeal?

    Quote Originally Posted by BigAndy View Post
    So have you withdrawn application prior to comittee?
    Won't go to committee as officer refused under delegated powers! Didn't give us chance to withdraw, even after asking if we would like to if going to refuse!

  8. #8
    BigAndy
    Guest

    Re: Wind turbine planning appeal?

    Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    Won't go to committee as officer refused under delegated powers! Didn't give us chance to withdraw, even after asking if we would like to if going to refuse!
    So no objections and he refused under delegated powers? Very strange one that, post up the application number and will have a look if get chance

  9. #9
    porterswood
    Guest

    Re: Wind turbine planning appeal?

    Quote Originally Posted by BigAndy View Post
    It is unusual what you got permission for?
    A 50kw Endurance on a 36m mast. We went with the 36m mast to gain more wind speed and the fact that if the planners didn't like it we could negotiate the mast down to 25m.

    They took us by suprise no bat survey, and we have a lot of bats around us, and it was passed within the 8 weeks.

    Veiw the application here:

    http://snc.planning-register.co.uk/p...px?recno=64809

  10. #10
    Courier
    Guest

    Re: Wind turbine planning appeal?

    Quote Originally Posted by BigAndy View Post
    It is unusual what you got permission for?
    Not that unusual, Tony Lee got ours through on delegated powers as well , we had a few objections.

    https://planning.wakefield.gov.uk/on...=LQBRVPQQ90000

  11. #11
    BigAndy
    Guest

    Re: Wind turbine planning appeal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Courier View Post
    Not that unusual, Tony Lee got ours through on delegated powers as well , we had a few objections.

    https://planning.wakefield.gov.uk/on...=LQBRVPQQ90000
    It is round here, anything with any objection has to go to comittee
    Also they have passed about 50KW of capacity since 2002

  12. #12
    tom
    Guest

    Re: Wind turbine planning appeal?

    Quote Originally Posted by BigAndy View Post
    they have passed about 50KW of capacity since 2002
    Bolton is therefore a bit more progressive than Wigan which has only approved 35kw five Q5s for a school (i.e. the Council was the applicant).

    I put in an application on Feb 18th and still not been given an application number or listed on their website as it is considered incomplete without a professional landscape assessment.

  13. #13
    BigAndy
    Guest

    Re: Wind turbine planning appeal?

    Sid -cant see your documents online

    comments from EHO indicate more info required for noise, what did you tell them?

    Rough and ready calcs suggest noise should be about 30db around 200m from turbine. There is a noise report here

    http://planning.allerdale.gov.uk/por...ageName=188868

    Cant think they could demand full ETSU if you can show will be less than 35db at nearest non associated property

  14. #14
    sid
    Guest

    Re: Wind turbine planning appeal?

    Quote Originally Posted by BigAndy View Post
    Sid -cant see your documents online

    comments from EHO indicate more info required for noise, what did you tell them?

    Rough and ready calcs suggest noise should be about 30db around 200m from turbine. There is a noise report here

    http://planning.allerdale.gov.uk/por...ageName=188868

    Cant think they could demand full ETSU if you can show will be less than 35db at nearest non associated property
    Andy

    We sent them all the noise info that has been sent with countless other applications, they never came back and asked for more info on that or on the fact that english hertidge asked for more info on a moat and bailey thats nealry a km away! beggers belief!! sweep it under the carpet seems to me!!!!

  15. #15
    BigAndy
    Guest

    Re: Wind turbine planning appeal?

    Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    Andy

    We sent them all the noise info that has been sent with countless other applications, they never came back and asked for more info on that or on the fact that english hertidge asked for more info on a moat and bailey thats nealry a km away! beggers belief!! sweep it under the carpet seems to me!!!!
    sid sent you a pm, that solicitor will be the reason R Buxton ass , got councils running scared.

  16. #16
    sid
    Guest

    Re: Wind turbine planning appeal?

    Quote Originally Posted by BigAndy View Post
    sid sent you a pm, that solicitor will be the reason Richard Buxton ass , got councils running scared.
    But can't see his name mentioned at all in the officers report! All the officer kept saying to me was appeal ! Chicken!!!

  17. #17
    BigAndy
    Guest

    Re: Wind turbine planning appeal?

    Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    But can't see his name mentioned at all in the officers report! All the officer kept saying to me was appeal ! Chicken!!!
    He wont, its a non material consideration, but I bet you its the reason. They have a practice made on challenges to councils, nothing better than ambulance chasers if you ask me.

  18. #18
    linga
    Guest

    Re: Wind turbine planning appeal?

    Quote Originally Posted by BigAndy View Post
    So have you withdrawn application prior to comittee?
    Why should you withdraw before going to committee?

  19. #19
    BigAndy
    Guest

    Re: Wind turbine planning appeal?

    Quote Originally Posted by linga View Post
    Why should you withdraw before going to committee?
    Because if there is any element of the proposal that they are turning it down on specifically, like lack of info on noise etc it is better to try and negociate what info they may require to make it acceptable or if any aspect you can change to make it so before being refused at committee. The LPA can refuse to accept a similar proposal for 2 years if you are turned down so better to withdraw unless you think you will get it on appeal.

  20. #20
    linga
    Guest

    Re: Wind turbine planning appeal?

    ah ok...thanks.

  21. #21
    Forage Trader
    Guest

    Re: Wind turbine planning appeal?

    Why are people so against windfarms

  22. #22
    john432
    Guest

    Re: Wind turbine planning appeal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Forage Trader View Post
    Why are people so against windfarms
    jealousy

  23. #23
    Forage Trader
    Guest

    Re: Wind turbine planning appeal?

    Quote Originally Posted by john432 View Post
    jealousy
    Thats just what I was thinking, we drive past a windfarm on way to Carmarthen and think how beautiful they look kids love to see them but signs up everywhere "say no to wind farms", what they need is a Nuclear plant on their doorstep

  24. #24
    tom
    Guest

    Re: Wind turbine planning appeal?

    Part of the problem is the word 'turbine' which sounds like someting very noisy off an aircraft, 'windmill' sounds gentler

    In my application I called mine a microgenerator (which is the term DECC use for anything under 50kw) but the council keep changing it to 'turbine'

  25. #25
    BOB1
    Guest

    Re: Wind turbine planning appeal?

    Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    Part of the problem is the word 'turbine' which sounds like someting very noisy off an aircraft, 'windmill' sounds gentler

    In my application I called mine a microgenerator (which is the term DECC use for anything under 50kw) but the council keep changing it to 'turbine'
    Wind Energy Convertor WEC is the correct term. I think you should insist the council refers to them as that rather than "Turbine"

  26. #26
    dealer dave
    Guest

    Re: Wind turbine planning appeal?

    turbines are very ineffecient , hydro electric is the way to go plenty of unused energy running day and night down rivers in this country , we will have to have nuclear to meet this countrys power needs , time for the planners to stop all new turbines and look at more effecient ways of generating power , and yes i would rather have a nuclear power station beside me than ineffecient turbines

  27. #27
    BigAndy
    Guest

    Re: Wind turbine planning appeal?

    Quote Originally Posted by dealer dave View Post
    turbines are very ineffecient , hydro electric is the way to go plenty of unused energy running day and night down rivers in this country , we will have to have nuclear to meet this countrys power needs , time for the planners to stop all new turbines and look at more effecient ways of generating power , and yes i would rather have a nuclear power station beside me than ineffecient turbines
    Good for you then, they can all be in your neck of the woods, I dont want one near me thanks. Just saw blue peter earlier, still a 30mile exclusion zone round chernoble, I know technology improved since then but farming usually tells you if it can go wrong it will.

    Wind has big part to play in the mix and the turbines are as efficient as the planners will let them be, cant complain about turbines not working when they restrict their access to wind.

  28. #28
    dealer dave
    Guest

    Re: Wind turbine planning appeal?

    do the planners turn the wind off then ? i thought mother nature decided when the wind will blow ! yes please lets have a nuclear station in devon as we have one at hinkley in somerset with no problems , i have no figures but suggest you would need thousands of these windmills to replace a nuclear station , then you would be praying for windy weather 24 7 , what then happens when wind to strong/no wind and they cannot operate? why were sailing ships replaced with mechanical propulsion ? as wind cannot and should not be relied on

  29. #29
    Lodestar
    Guest

    Re: Wind turbine planning appeal?

    Quote Originally Posted by dealer dave View Post
    turbines are very ineffecient , hydro electric is the way to go plenty of unused energy running day and night down rivers in this country , we will have to have nuclear to meet this countrys power needs , time for the planners to stop all new turbines and look at more effecient ways of generating power , and yes i would rather have a nuclear power station beside me than ineffecient turbines
    As an avid supporter of nuclear power your looking at it in an overly simplistic way.

    Nuclear power comes with huge problems of waste, massive initial setup costs, perminant security risks, huge liability for the goverment as no company in the world will accept liability, large clean up costs, and lets face it a very long lived legacy. Plus we still have to import the fuel, which will only rocket up in price as other countries go nuclear.

    You think with all its problems nuke is more efficiant? Your dreaming.

    Massive public battles, multiple court battles, the national embarressment of having to use french technology, nuclear power power is going to be a long and painful road.

    Wind turbines, build them, when they come to the end of their lives take them down, long term cost none, and now is the first real time they are getting some serious investment, of several millions (compared to the billions in nuke) they are going to come down in cost and up in efficiency.

    Makes a nice change in that its a business Britain is one of the leaders in too (it should by rights be the leader), it isn't due the British ingained distrust and dislike of anything new.

  30. #30
    Courier
    Guest

    Re: Wind turbine planning appeal?

    Quote Originally Posted by dealer dave View Post
    turbines are very ineffecient , hydro electric is the way to go plenty of unused energy running day and night down rivers in this country , we will have to have nuclear to meet this countrys power needs , time for the planners to stop all new turbines and look at more effecient ways of generating power , and yes i would rather have a nuclear power station beside me than ineffecient turbines
    Whatever the idealistic point of view wind power is a "quick fix" until nuclear comes on stream - When will we see new nuclear generating capacity in this country 2030 ? 2035 ? Wind can be making a contribution in a couple of years or even less.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •