Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wind turbine planning appeal?

BadLamber

Re: Wind turbine planning appeal?

Quote Originally Posted by brigadoon View Post
    Coal can be brought to a power station from anywhere where there is coal, it is not presently possible to shift the turbines to where there is wind, and the problem is that the wind which is here this week may very well not be here next week or the week after. They are of course sited where the developers think best but even Shetland gets calm days.

There is no shortage whatever of either coal or gas in the world, nor are they "running out fast"
    Brigadoon, I take it you are against all sort of renewable generation. If so what is the best way forward for energy needs for the future? For Britain and also the rest of the world.

brigadoon

Re: Wind turbine planning appeal?

Quote Originally Posted by BadLamber View Post
    Brigadoon, I take it you are against all sort of renewable generation. If so what is the best way forward for energy needs for the future? For Britain and also the rest of the world.
    On the contrary I am completely in favour of any form of efficient renewable generation. Hydro-electric or sustainable biomass generation are well worth pusuing.

I am however realistic about the capabilities of the various forms of renewable energy- as many people have noted there are occasions when the wind does not blow at all, so wind power should not be relied on for more than the typical spinning reserve (about 8% of baseload). I am very much against throwing massive subsidy at inefficient means of generation in order to "be seen to be doing something about it", and mortgaging our childrens future to ensure that it happens.

Wave energy is nothing more than wind energy in another medium since all waves are wind generated.

Tidal energy is much more predictable but still poses the problem of matching consumption to demand in real time. Tidal turbines are nothing more or less than wind turbines in the water - the logistics of installation and maintenance and the areas taken up to supply meaningfull power will be horrendous. If you want to get real on tidal energy then we should be throwing barrages across the major sounds on the west coast of Scotland not faffing with individual turbines

Renewables make much more sense when combined with a storage system but large scale storage opportunities seem to be limited at present.

The best way forward - clean carbon consumption or nuclear, take your pick.

Cheers
    mac