Thread: solar shed lighting

Ali Aberdeen

solar shed lighting

Our barn has no power and we could really do with some lighting.
    Rather than run the power cabling at the moment I was thinking on eiter s ilent running genny or a 12v car battery and solar system set up.
    Anyone used this idea or know anybody that has.
    Basically is it 300 quid worth spending or is it just a waste.

cheers

defender

Re: solar shed lighting

solar power trickle charger on old tractor bettery and 12 volt led type floodlights would work fine ,just fitted 240 volt ones round a shed and they only draw 10 watts ,they cost 20 each ,solar charger = less than 30 and an hour of your time
    similar to this http://www.brightlightz.co.uk/produc...e-100w-halogen

RGSP

I do have a couple of solar lights around the place, and can support what Defender says. If it's a big barn and you want the whole thing lit up brightly for hours on end, then think again. If it's moderate in size and you only need occasional light, then solar + LEDs is a good and cheap solution. Do shop around for both solar panels and LEDs when buying: prices are dropping steadily for both, and there are some quite startling price differences for the same thing from different suppliers.

daven

You gotta know your particulars and depth of your wallet.... Don't know how big your "shed" is (some of you folks# sheds are bigger than my whole place...

I have 2 outside paddocks that have no electricity. Just 10x30 shelters with 30x60 paddocks that need cleaned. I got a good deal on compact florescent bulbs and a couple floodlights (LED seems to be cheaper now), wired them in along with a plug for tools, etc and left a male plug on about a 20ft cord. Can use either a generator or power inverter as I wish. Lights take 20 to 60 watts at each place so I can use a jumper pack I have with inverter ( easy to zoom around the chore loop on the quad), generator, and I have a 2000 watt inverter on the tractor that is portable between it and the car. I hate not being able to see.... Thinking about switching one place to 12 volt bulbs and going with batteries and solar panel tho..... I might have 100 bucks tied up in both places together (minus inverter etc)....

The H series headlight bulbs make real good and cheap light also.....

daven

Quote Originally Posted by RGSP View Post
    I do have a couple of solar lights around the place, and can support what Defender says. If it's a big barn and you want the whole thing lit up brightly for hours on end, then think again. If it's moderate in size and you only need occasional light, then solar + LEDs is a good and cheap solution. Do shop around for both solar panels and LEDs when buying: prices are dropping steadily for both, and there are some quite startling price differences for the same thing from different suppliers.

EBAY can be a real good friend in this case.................

Ad

Something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-Sky...#ht_2644wt_952

Modest power input but they're really, really bright I have a 10w led floodlamp so far it's fine but looks like a candle compared to these HID i have fitted to the tractor

daven

Quote Originally Posted by defender View Post
    solar power trickle charger on old tractor bettery and 12 volt led type floodlights would work fine ,just fitted 240 volt ones round a shed and they only draw 10 watts ,they cost 20 each ,solar charger = less than 30 and an hour of your time
    similar to this http://www.brightlightz.co.uk/produc...e-100w-halogen
    And, again, depending on what you call a shed (???).... a cheap/quick fix that is fairly safe, is the track lights that IKEA sells.... Don#t buy the fixture, just the cables and lights.... Then run the cable tracks and instead of the fixture, hook them to a battery/s and put a solar maintainer on the batteries.....
    Cheaper it is, the more beer money left over

wull

Skylight. :lolk:

Ali Aberdeen

Cheers for the responses.
    Had shylights but they were goosed, so the lairds solution was to remove them and slate them up. no more leaking roof, however no more light, hence looking for a cheap solution in the near to medium term.

Paw

Quote Originally Posted by wull View Post
    Skylight. :lolk:
    They don't work when the sun goes down.

SPACE COWBOY

Ive had teh same trouble with a 60x60 shed, When first built, Electricity there was at a cost of 3k, Im told today to think of 15k,wish I had done it back then.

Ive used Gas lights similar to the motorway ones with piezo start, Not very bright But economical 800hrs/47kg propane bottle.

And when i gave up on the gas lights a little clark 700w camping genny with a 500w halogen.Bright enough although a few quid/hr to run

This year Im putting armoured cable to the shed.