Thread: Naval clamps

Naval clamps

Looking for opinions on using lamb naval clamps. Anyone with experience using them & their opinion on their effectiveness & how & when best to apply them & remove them.

one person Iíve talked to who lambs 2000 ewes likes them & fits them straight after birth. Another that suggests that the blood in the cord is not allowed to drain off.

Re: Naval clamps

I only have a few sheep and I do not use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew100 View Post
    Looking for opinions on using lamb naval clamps. Anyone with experience using them & their opinion on their effectiveness & how & when best to apply them & remove them.

one person Iíve talked to who lambs 2000 ewes likes them & fits them straight after birth. Another that suggests that the blood in the cord is not allowed to drain off.
    Pardon my Australian ignorance, why are navel clamps used on lambs?

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Interesting how incorrect spelling can lead to misunderstandings. I thought this topic was somehow connected with matelots.

What's wrong with a dab of iodine anyway ?

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    Interesting how incorrect spelling can lead to misunderstandings. I thought this topic was somehow connected with matelots.

What's wrong with a dab of iodine anyway ?
    Me too.

Still wondering what the ..... clamps are for, but I presume something to do with the lambs' health. If clamping is important, there must be a one helluva market in NZ - or are UK lambing conditions different?

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    Me too.

Still wondering what the ..... clamps are for, but I presume something to do with the lambs' health. If clamping is important, there must be a one helluva market in NZ - or are UK lambing conditions different?

JV
    Funnily enough, we had a talk at our local discussion group from a lad who has been working in NZ and he commented about the extremely poor standard of animal welfare in NZ. We hear so much about how wonderful the kiwis are over subsidies, but probably if they had to abide by our welfare rules their imports would not be allowed.
    I say this sadly because I have a great admiration for all things NZ.
    jack caley.