Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini Diggers

eddie0307

Mini Diggers

We are looking to buy a second hand mini digger in the near future, probably around the 2.5 to 2.8 tonne size. Nothing too shabby, maybe 2500 hrs on clock.
    Any advice on makes or models to look for or avoid? Only thing ive been told more than once is avoid JCB. The Kubota and Takeuchi look to be favourites for many.

Andrew Kerr

Re: Mini Diggers

Hitachi ZAX 25 does us well here, big enough to power a Pecker too.

Derky

Hitachi, kubota the small jcbs are not so good.

machineryman

We sell Hitachi minis at Ben Burgess Newmarket. For a quote or info contact Dave Atherton on 07876 627 000. By all accounts they are very good bits of kit.

NH powerstar

volvo are miles ahead. great wee digger. used by many utility contractors as they are the only 2.5-3 ton machine that can stand the hard work. great hydraulics and worth something when you come to sell.

hoff135

Quote Originally Posted by NH powerstar View Post
    volvo are miles ahead. great wee digger. used by many utility contractors as they are the only 2.5-3 ton machine that can stand the hard work. great hydraulics and worth something when you come to sell.
    +1

A Volvo EC25 would fit the bill nicely. Still trying to get one myself.

Maico490

We've put thousands of hours on Takeuchi 1.5 and 2.8 minis and have had virtually nothing go wrong. The utility companies here in the SW all seem to use them and give them no more regard than they do to a hand tool but they keep going.

NH powerstar

takeuchi are a decent machine, no doubt. having driven both though i would say the volvo is the better machine. and like i said previously, the residuals on the volvo are good.

shovell

On my second Kubota mini digger now both owned from new.Never had a warranty claim,its goes out on hire so gets some stick.Very reliable.To be fair theres not alot betreen them all.(apart from JCB)!

d4c24a

Quote Originally Posted by Maico490 View Post
    We've put thousands of hours on Takeuchi 1.5 and 2.8 minis and have had virtually nothing go wrong. The utility companies here in the SW all seem to use them and give them no more regard than they do to a hand tool but they keep going.
    +1 for this

residuals are good on taki,s too

v12cat

Quote Originally Posted by d4c24a View Post
    +1 for this

residuals are good on taki,s too
    An old guy who lives near to me made his considerable wealth out of self drive hire. His opinion was Taki's were the best.

He's the sort of guy I take notice of.

I've only driven one Volvo mini. Around 2 tonne. Very poor fine control compared to almost all the others I've driven. Kubota are very smooth but a little slow. Had a yanmar a week or so ago and was very impressed. Had both fine control and speed/power.

My advice would be, if it's for you to drive, have a good try of as many as you can and buy what suits your needs.

No point in it having excellent residuals if it is a pig to drive in your opinion.

hilly bill

takeuchi are a decent machine, no doubt. having driven both though i would say the volvo is the better machine. and like i said previously, the residuals on the volvo are good.
    Got one working here at the moment bloody good machine, the owner tells me they are number one machine now, just what he tells me i dont know i prefer to hire things in these days, but i would say if they have good secondhand value they will be good as one goes with the other.

nick

agree with this entirely.been running volvos for 8 years and only problem so far was a faulty temp sensor causing the machine to stop.also case well worth a look.very underated diggers
    nick........

Dexter

Whats wrong with the jcb then? I have two excavators with that badge an old 814s and zts2.75. The small one starts everytime doesnt leak and is used for lots of things it wasnt designed for. the only thing I see less than good is the paintwork on the superstructure, some has been washed off when it was a hire machine. Its done2400hrs bought in an auction 400hrs ago and i would recommend them.

Ian01

Another vote for volvo ec25, have used most makes and I think you'll strugle to beat them. Takeuchi are pretty good, but not upto volvo standard imo. Only problem with a volvo is the price!

Red Fred

I have an ec30 Volvo and it has been very good. Use it all the time now, but don't have experience of others to compare with . Guess the 3 or 4 top makes are much of a muchness.

ajmoore1

My vote goes for the Takeuchi. I have had a jcb and traded it in for the Takeuchi after speaking to lots of other users and must admit it is twice the machine the jcb was.

suffolksmallholder

I remember when Takeuchi first appeared in the hire market sometime around the late 80's. I had one on hire and had to send it back as I'd got used to the ISO controls and the little Takeuchis controls were completely opposite. I asked the hire co why and if they could change them about but they were not really interested. From then on just hired Kubotas.
    This went on for a few years until the next generation of Takeuchi minis came in on the market. I like them. So much so that I have a midi one at home and the same at work. This also means I don't have to think through too many control changes between the two. Apart from one having done 2500 hours and the other just over 4000 they are identical in every way in their operation, That to me is quality. They are both the same age too.
    SS

nick

takeuchis are supposed to be the best minis.supposed to make a poor operator ok and a good operator look brilliant.i was really disapointed in the one i used.was really looking foreward to seeing what all the fuss is about and was disaponted.not a patch on volvos in my opinion
    nick..........

Tha Ulsterscot

The taki,s cab tilts up. I've had 4 bob cats now and they are great diggers, but the older ones are a buggar to replace hoses on. you can easily spend a day on one hose.:cry: Later models have the valve block beside the cab rather than underneath the floor.

Will be taking a serious look at a Taki next time round .

A lot of tractors would benefit from a tilting cab

humfy

I have a volvo ec25, have had a few mini digs kubota takeuchi etc, the volvo is definately quality machine with a powerful boom with just a bit more reach which very useful.

Very good service back up to. They all break down eventually!!!

Its all down to preference tho.

tyre_kicker

Another shout for the Volvo, great little machines and stick up to the hammering! Mate of mines got an EC25 that he's had for the past 7 years and now looking to change it to a fresh one. She's used every day all year round and hasn't gone wrong once, and she does get her fair share of abuse, amazing machines

Red Fred

I bought an ec30 last year and he has been excellent. It gets used more than the tractor. I was thinking yesterday, if I didn't have it, we would be in deep pooh after all this rain. Had a look at a few in the dealer's yard, but he said it would hold its value better than most.

lamplighter2

Quote Originally Posted by eddie0307 View Post
    We are looking to buy a second hand mini digger in the near future, probably around the 2.5 to 2.8 tonne size. Nothing too shabby, maybe 2500 hrs on clock.
    Any advice on makes or models to look for or avoid? Only thing ive been told more than once is avoid JCB. The Kubota and Takeuchi look to be favourites for many.
    if you are going to get one look for a 2.2 tonne kubota has the power of a 3 tonne but has the size of a 1,5 even tracks go in. just used one for last 3 weeks doing ditching etc cracking tool. Takuchi ,yanmar. one as good as kubota komatsu, when i can afford to buy second hand will get a kubota. reading other posts about cabs later than 2002 the hoses on kubota,s can be got to. try Harper plant Andy harper. main Kubota dealer for around this area allways got second hand kit being px for new. yet to try a small volvo construction forum rave about them but not had the chance to use one. as for JCB its yellow and at present not got a good name. build quality a issue.

bowl

Quote Originally Posted by nick View Post
    agree with this entirely.been running volvos for 8 years and only problem so far was a faulty temp sensor causing the machine to stop.also case well worth a look.very underated diggers
    nick........
    arent volvos badged schaffe/terex? i know the 1,5 ton is as is the new holland

nick

Quote Originally Posted by bowl View Post
    arent volvos badged schaffe/terex? i know the 1,5 ton is as is the new holland
    no they arent.the smaller models were pel jobs after volvo bought out the company but that was 10 years ago.no volvo excavators are badge engineered.
    nick............

Julian_P

Quote Originally Posted by suffolksmallholder View Post
    I remember when Takeuchi first appeared in the hire market sometime around the late 80's. I had one on hire and had to send it back as I'd got used to the ISO controls and the little Takeuchis controls were completely opposite. I asked the hire co why and if they could change them about but they were not really interested. From then on just hired Kubotas.
    SS
    It's probably a 30 second job. On my Mitsubishi digger (CAT in the UK) you just depress the levers and rotate them 90 degrees.

Julian.

Tree mover

I have driven all but the volvo, case and bobcat.

Hire fleets here mainly run hitachi's and even though the tin work will be typically jap; mechanically they are robust.

the JCB's I sat in were OK. I was expecting worse tbh; but I thought they were fine for a farmer, or part-timer.

I too was expecting to be blown away by the tach' but I wasnt. they do feel better weighted and more responsive; but I just use these things occasionally.

I was impressed by yanmars. But then these were brand new machines.

One golf course I was on, had a prehistoric Kubota. It was a 2.5 ton machine, and even though it looked like it was a prototype; everything worked. They bought it for 1500.

We hired out a hitachi zero tail swing. And it was rubbish. Unless you have no other option, zero tail swings are the devils work (after the haybob).

nick

have to agree about takeuchis.i had one for a day and was expecting a brilliant machine but ive never been so dissapointed in my life.as for zero tail swing i love em.soon get used to unstableness.maybe not so good for people who dont use digger often but im on em alot and enjoy the challenge
    nick...........

Julian_P

Well every model of mini-digger has been rated brilliant or dreadful at least once. Zero tail swing has been rated both brilliant and dreadful.

Any conclusions? I have at least one - they're all the bloody same, like cars at the end of the day!

Julian.