Thread: Massey Ferguson 50HX digger slew ram

Crossies

Massey Ferguson 50HX digger slew ram

Hello

I was wondering if anyone could help, we're looking for a slew ram for a MF50HX digger, been looking on-line and locally but no luck so far, would really appreciate any help. Also do you have to remove the top slew ram in order to remove the bottom slew ram, thank you.

RichardJW

Re: Massey Ferguson 50HX digger slew ram

have you tried Kellands?

http://kellands.com/

Crossies

thanks, i've had a look on the website but nothing there so i've sent them an e-mail.

Mcdeutz

Have you tryied davie duncan(port services)? Was at keith but i heard he may have moved to huntly. We got one fae him last year.
    If its the same as mine u do have to take out the top ram to get out the bottom 1. There is 4 bolts hold in a bracket in through the top of the slew frame that the top ram pivots on( I hope for your sake that its one of the newer ones that has the 2 threaded holes so you can screw it out with the bolts cos they can be a bugger to get out if its not). Once its out you can take out the top ram then the frame that is inbetween the 2 and lift the ram out. We found that its best with a wheel off and the sliding frame slightly way from the jack.
    Hope that helps

Crossies

We did try Davie Duncan earlier in the week he didn't have one but said he would keep a look out for one for us. Thanks very much for the info on how to get the ram out, really useful.

defender

have you tried Ian Campbell and Jim Morrice ?

kennyo

Saw these guys at the Highland. Might be worth a shout. They do ram refurbishment I think

http://www.clark-engineering.com/engineering/hydraulics

Mcdeutz

Quote Originally Posted by Crossies View Post
    We did try Davie Duncan earlier in the week he didn't have one but said he would keep a look out for one for us. Thanks very much for the info on how to get the ram out, really useful.
    What happened to your ram? If its the end that broke off you could get it welded back on. We hav one thats welded and its workin fine. It is quite a common problem with the 50hx i have been told.

happy hillbily

P V DOBSON, is another to try allways advertising mf industrial/ fermec parts ?

Crossies

thanks very much for all the replies, still looking for a ram, away to see if the old one will weld!

Stromfirth

Cool Re: Massey Ferguson 50HX digger slew ram

Howforth hydraulics down in ayrshire are good to deal with did my county steering ram 1st class job.

quavers

hendry hydraulics elgin will repair or make part a new part for ram have used them before , will also do seals if give them the old ones or the ram to work off of.

mac956

try p v dobson they do a lot at mf/fermec

Renaultman

If you didn't get one, I might have one. We bought a complete 50HX back end to rob for spares, I can't remember off the top of my head if the slew ram was one of the things we robbed.
    I can have a look if you want?

Hi All, new to BFF, I've just got a MF 50hx of a local farm as a project, main issue is the casting that the back actor is held onto the chassis is broken, and one of the slew Rams requires the cle is welding back onto the rod, does anyone know if there are any old/broken machines around that have these parts available?
    it is also a poor starter, seems to turn over quite slow even with a new battery, previous owner says he used some easy start when it is cold. The heater plug seems fine, any other ideas
    thanks

Hi all

new to bff, I've just acquired a 50hx from a local farmer,main problem is the casting that holds the back actor to the frame has broken, it's the type with the 2 slew rams. Does anyone know where to look for one of these? Probably require a slew ram and the hydraulic locks too SS these seem to be missing
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crofterman View Post
    Hi all

new to bff, I've just acquired a 50hx from a local farmer,main problem is the casting that holds the back actor to the frame has broken, it's the type with the 2 slew rams. Does anyone know where to look for one of these? Probably require a slew ram and the hydraulic locks too SS these seem to be missing
    Thanks
    The starting issue might be helped by a starter upgrade assuming all your connections (particularly earth) are ok. (you could beef up the earth with your jump leads to check). Ace on here will do a good deal on a Letrika (formerly Iskra) starter. I have to say they have transformed starting on 2 of my elderly machine.
    Can't help with the other but would guess scouring breakers Nationwide will be your best hope. You could do with finding out some how if the casting are the same on slightly different models as well.

Thanks for that essexpete, was thinking about the starter upgrade too, although I think that might be an upgrade once the digger is operational again