Thread: 3 phase for the house

Milkloss

3 phase for the house

Hi all,

Seriously reworking the house at the minute and need to get three phase poked in. We are 20m from the nearest pole with 4 wires which we currently have an above ground (1ph) wire to. Hoping to underground the electric across our own land from the pole.

What capacity amps wise do you think we may need? Think 5 bedrooms, two floors plus basement, Electric aga, electric everything but not central heating as that is oil. Possibly will run it back out to the shed for mig welder, compressor and power washer but not on an industrial scale. I think we would get away (just) with single phase but having mentioned it to the sparky ages ago have dug myself a hole 'cause its all wired with three phase in mind!

Ideas appreciated.

treblesykes

Re: 3 phase for the house

you must have one hell of a vacuum cleaner? food mixer?

davidroberts30

kin hell how many consumers have you got

my ol mans got air source,2 leccy showers,massive range cooker and all running on single phase

Milkloss

Forgot to mention the multi core flux capacitor to jump the time continuum!

No, seriously the misses wanted all this multi room light switching which is wired in such a way that the supply will need balancing between the three main systems for it to work properly. Could be done on single but would mean the current demand at times may mean it won't work quite right.

Long story and I can't explain it in full to be honest but what do you think about the power requirement.

Oh, and I can get my gear working in the shed without a phase converter!

Pryderi

Quote Originally Posted by Milkloss View Post

No, seriously the misses wanted all this multi room light switching which is wired in such a way that the supply will need balancing between the three main systems for it to work properly. Could be done on single but would mean the current demand at times may mean it won't work quite right.

Long story and I can't explain it in full to be honest but what do you think about the power requirement.

Oh, and I can get my gear working in the shed without a phase converter!
    All the other excuses ar irrelevant as I'm sure that's the main reason

RGSP

Three-phase is almost irrelevant to demand in a single dwelling house, because you are not allowed to put sockets on different phases in the the same house. You CAN have items permanently wired on more than one phase, and that commonly used to be done with storage heaters, and occasionally immersion heaters and/or cookers. If a new supply and meter are being put in, the supply company will almost certainly suggest a 100A supply these days, or if the local grid won't take it, 80A, and frankly either of those ought to be OK for anything other than profligate use of electric power.

y fan wen

If you do draw down 80A, single phase, then you will be paying something in the region of 50.00 a day.

remus

We had three phase put into the house back in the 80's. This was due to no gas to the farm.
    Needed 9 storage heaters so it worked out to much for a single phase.
    Our supply is 3 * 100amp

155tm

The surprisingly good news is your three phase connection will cost the same as a single phase connection!

We have planning permission for three office/industrial units, expecting to get stung three times for connections. I was astounded when they suggested running three phase into a cabinet, and putting a single phase meter on the head of each phase, as we convert the buildings and need each supply!

JimF

You'll need more than 3 phase for that. Seem to to remember it needs 1.21 GigaWatts!

Christopher Lloyd's very memorable line from the movies.

lordbonville

Quote Originally Posted by remus View Post
    We had three phase put into the house back in the 80's. This was due to no gas to the farm.
    Needed 9 storage heaters so it worked our to much for a single phase.
    Our supply is 3 * 100amp
    I hate you:cry:

I don't really.

I am just paying 40k for a 200kva split single supply for a pig unit. I chickened out of 3 phase when i was told minimum 150k

Reggie Hammond

Why do you guys get quotes for 3-phase at such stupid prices? What the hell makes it so expensive for the installation?

Milkloss

Thank you all for responses, 100A it is then!

czechmate

Quote Originally Posted by Milkloss View Post
    Thank you all for responses, 100A it is then!

And a digital phase convector for the workshop

Sleepy

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie Hammond View Post
    Why do you guys get quotes for 3-phase at such stupid prices? What the hell makes it so expensive for the installation?
    Because the power companies are run by jobsworths?

darkness

It depends how far the nearest 3-phase supply is. Guy down the run got his 3-phase installed for around 9000 as his supply was only a few hundred feet away.

lordbonville

I'm a mile away across a neighbour's land, hence the ridiculous price.

Still the split single supply across my land is 7 poles and is the largest pole mounted transformer at 200kva per phase. This is 34k plus me to dig underground ducting for 200m and supply building for termination. Then of course I need new switchgear from my own electrician.

I really wanted a bit more power still, but a floor mounted transformer would add at least 20 grand to the cost.

Oh i forgot. I now also have 3 phase converters on the farm.

Exfarmer

Quote Originally Posted by lordbonville View Post
    I'm a mile away across a neighbour's land, hence the ridiculous price.

Still the split single supply across my land is 7 poles and is the largest pole mounted transformer at 200kva per phase. This is 34k plus me to dig underground ducting for 200m and supply building for termination. Then of course I need new switchgear from my own electrician.

I really wanted a bit more power still, but a floor mounted transformer would add at least 20 grand to the cost.

Oh i forgot. I now also have 3 phase converters on the farm.
    Without knowing anything of your situation but would a Genney possibly be a cheaper option?

lordbonville

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    Without knowing anything of your situation but would a Genney possibly be a cheaper option?
    I have a genny on standby as well.

Trouble is running a generator capable of powering all my pig feeding and ventilation equipment and running 24 hours a day will cost a lot to run in fuel and servicing. Plus I will need to then have 2 generators for backup and servicing.

500 hours comes round every 3 weeks