Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Workshop "Tricks of the Trade" thread

Re: Workshop "Tricks of the Trade" thread

Don't rely on your memory!

Things like a baler shaft with lots of cogs, washers and spacers on them before you get to the bearing, cable tie the bits together in order. Don't just stack them, you'll only knock the buggers over

If you've a casing with lots of different size bolts, stick them in a bit of cardboard at the correct positions as you take them out. Saves time trying to figure out where they go later.

Mobile phone camera is very handy for remembering where things were supposed to go.

Quote Originally Posted by mo! View Post
    Mobile phone camera is very handy for remembering where things were supposed to go.
    + 1 done it many times

Quote Originally Posted by mo! View Post
    +2

Also using the video with light feature is useful for seeing where your eyes can't

Il be the first to admit I have an untidy workshop
    After many years of losing small parts when dissasembling things, I now use a square lick bucket and dissasemble the parts inside the bucket, if anything falls out it should be in the bucket and not on the floor !

Bin all those bits of workshop paper and rags that have been used to wipe oil / grease etc off things.
    Grinder sparks can find them from the other end of the workshop.
    Smoulder smoulder....wait till you have gone........smoulder fire.
    gee

Quote Originally Posted by moffett View Post
    My favourite is the old speaker chucked in the suds tank of the bandsaw to keep the swarf out of the pump.
    Good idea, if I have to listen to KLFM much more I may well chuck the whole radio in.

Quote Originally Posted by moffett View Post
    My favourite is the old speaker chucked in the suds tank of the bandsaw to keep the swarf out of the pump.
    +1 Nice idea. I had seen a speaker magnet put in a metal hydraulic tank after a pump failure on a forklift you would be amazed how much crap it picked up mostly a fine paste.

Is there a reason why magnets are not more widely used as filters in hydraulic systems especially tractor transmissions? Theres one on our 2008 Zetor the transmission oil passes through it before the main filter you would be amazed how much it picks up mostly a metallic sludge

Get your wife a new ironing board and use the old one as a lightweight, portable, adjustable height table to put tools on next to the job in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetor View Post
    +1 Nice idea. I had seen a speaker magnet put in a metal hydraulic tank after a pump failure on a forklift you would be amazed how much crap it picked up mostly a fine paste.

Is there a reason why magnets are not more widely used as filters in hydraulic systems especially tractor transmissions? Theres one on our 2008 Zetor the transmission oil passes through it before the main filter you would be amazed how much it picks up mostly a metallic sludge
    I'm sure I've seen a magnet that wraps/clamps around a filter somewhere .
    The views posted are mine and not those of my employers

Quote Originally Posted by deere2140 View Post
    I'm sure I've seen a magnet that wraps/clamps around a filter somewhere .

ff
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Quote Originally Posted by Zetor View Post

Do none of the tractor manufacturers use magnetic sump plugs anymore..IIRC Deutz used to fit them.(at least on the larger engines) always thought it was a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by plant hauler View Post
    Do none of the tractor manufacturers use magnetic sump plugs anymore..IIRC Deutz used to fit them.(at least on the larger engines) always thought it was a good idea.
    Alot of the bits and pieces from clutch packs etc would not be ferrous, A failure of some kind like pump failure or wheel motors on a sp sprayer perhaps. I'm trying to think why you wouldnt put a magnet in any oil resevoir (as long as you can get it out to clean it and it is secure) as it will catch a fair lot of filings from gears/synchros meshing, but i cant think of one.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDunc View Post
    Don't rely on your memory!

Things like a baler shaft with lots of cogs, washers and spacers on them before you get to the bearing, cable tie the bits together in order. Don't just stack them, you'll only knock the buggers over

If you've a casing with lots of different size bolts, stick them in a bit of cardboard at the correct positions as you take them out. Saves time trying to figure out where they go later.
    Simply Brilliant! Not far short of the instructions I had from the US supplier of the replacement hard drive in my MacBook. They had a print-off sheet where you put the screws etc, with quantities. I had one screw over - this was the one floating around inside which had no apparent place to go. Had been there for at least three years.

Best to chase skirt every chance given, no regrets

Cool Re: Workshop "Tricks of the Trade" thread- Drill sharpening

With a bit of practice and a aid or two its not difficult to sharpen HHS twist drills.

To help get the angle right, mark the grinding wheel rest with a hacksaw cut. 118degrees is the "normal" mild steel point angle so this mark is 59degrees

Now you can use the line to easily keep on angle. Use a grinding wheel dressing tool to get a nice straight face to the grindstone

Here you can see that the rest is angled to make the drill bit sit pointing uphill. This needs to be 2-3 degrees.

Now as you start to grind the first face take a fine amount off and straight away lift the drill point up so that the land on the bits face is ground back at an angle

Heres the before, some hard cutting has taken the corner of the cutting edge

Here is the same bit sharpened up

What you need to do now is to look at the bit end on and figure out if both cutting edges are the same length. Keep shaving a wee amount off the face with the shortest cutting edge. You need to get them both the same length to cut evenly

Job done

ff

Said it before in previous life. Avoid damage to phone speaker,when using grinder, esp flap discs- put phone in back pocket. The speaker magnet and the vibrate mag employs some seriously magnetic mtl. will gather invisible filings, and there is not a magnet out there that will pull them off.. Back soon.

Thanks ff, I've had a box of blunt drills lying about for ages and followed your instructions, getting a load done this afternoon. Is there any way to sharpen De walt extreme drill bits ?

Quote Originally Posted by paddington View Post
    Thanks ff, I've had a box of blunt drills lying about for ages and followed your instructions, getting a load done this afternoon. Is there any way to sharpen De walt extreme drill bits ?

When sharpening bigger bits I have one of these to give an guide to keeping the cutting edges equal

Never tried to sharpen cobalt bits yet, I would of thought you may need a harder grinding wheel, but also will need to keep the heat down by light grinding as you won't want to ruin the brazed on tip.

Really need someone who is or was a toolmaker/toolroom man for a proper answer

ff

In regards to sharpening drill bits. I Find this guy very imformative and its impressive to watch a skilled person at work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/KEF791/featured

Video below has a section on hand sharpening drill bits in a similar way to how Footsfitter described. Starts around 31:20 into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p4oUazVvdI

Quote Originally Posted by Will Squire View Post
    In regards to sharpening drill bits. I Find this guy very imformative and its impressive to watch a skilled person at work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/KEF791/featured

Video below has a section on hand sharpening drill bits in a similar way to how Footsfitter described. Starts around 31:20 into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p4oUazVvdI

Have been watching alot of Keiths videos, some excelent content / what a skilled man who takes some serious pride in his work!!

Re: Workshop "Tricks of the Trade" thread- Drill sharpening

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    With a bit of practice and a aid or two its not difficult to sharpen HHS twist drills.

To help get the angle right, mark the grinding wheel rest with a hacksaw cut. 118degrees is the "normal" mild steel point angle so this mark is 59degrees

Now you can use the line to easily keep on angle. Use a grinding wheel dressing tool to get a nice straight face to the grindstone

Here you can see that the rest is angled to make the drill bit sit pointing uphill. This needs to be 2-3 degrees.

Now as you start to grind the first face take a fine amount off and straight away lift the drill point up so that the land on the bits face is ground back at an angle

Heres the before, some hard cutting has taken the corner of the cutting edge

Here is the same bit sharpened up

What you need to do now is to look at the bit end on and figure out if both cutting edges are the same length. Keep shaving a wee amount off the face with the shortest cutting edge. You need to get them both the same length to cut evenly

Job done

ff
    Nice one FF! want to do mine! got no end blunt at the moment. I bought a drill doctor 350x a fair while ago not cheap but is quite good most of the time! sometimes have trouble getting enough angle on it for the back edge to clear leaving the cutting edge to bite in, often when that happens its easier to finish off on the bench grinder.

i dont have the knack to do the smaller bits but can do the bigger bits on the grinder after a bit of practice.

I keep meaning to order the attachment for the drill doctor that will let me do left hand drill bits as that would be a big help.

Re: Workshop "Tricks of the Trade" thread- Hammer Handles

One of the first things I learnt as an apprentice was how to replace broken hammer handles, still something that I do today even with the advent of swish fibreglass ones, making a good job of fitting an ash handle is still enjoyable.

Two handles to fit here. The old shaft has been removed from the 14lb sledgehammer handle. Cut a slot in the end of the new shaft, then using a sanding disc, thin down the shaft if needed so its near the head size, but not too much. Place the head on the floor and just tap the shaft in enough so you can pick the head up with the shaft, now holding it off the floor, strike the shaft and drive it down into the head, the shaft will drive into the head with each blow, the shaft magically flies into the head, with this handle drive it up to the shoulder. If there is excess sticking out, cut off just proud.

Next, using the old handle, cut out a wedge, drive this into the slot you cut earlier, if as here there is a gap just drive another small wedge in until filled. Cut the wedge off level. Using two steel wedges, drive them into the shaft across the wooden wedge and inline with the grain if possible. Now sand down the excess level with the head

ff

The other handle to be replaced looked to be very "agricultural"!!

As you can see whoever fitted the handle had to make do and mend! The handle was actually a sledgehammer handle cut down plus various nails & screws were used as wedges.

Same procedure as before.

If you have a hammer that the handle comes loose on, try chucking it in a water trough for several days and the ash handle will swell up with the water making the head tight again

ff

That's a fine job. Where did you get the steel wedges out of?

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    When sharpening bigger bits I have one of these to give an guide to keeping the cutting edges equal

Never tried to sharpen cobalt bits yet, I would of thought you may need a harder grinding wheel, but also will need to keep the heat down by light grinding as you won't want to ruin the brazed on tip.

Really need someone who is or was a toolmaker/toolroom man for a proper answer

ff
    2 largish nuts tacked together will do the same job

carry 2 tennis balls in the tractor with you if you have the claw type ends

when towing a trailer or tanker or any other implement with hydraulic hoses the balls stop the hoses catching in the claws and getting ripped out

Quote Originally Posted by davidroberts30 View Post
    2 largish nuts tacked together will do the same job
    Yes, a good basic guide to the required angle, but better if you use largish nuts and can scribe with some fine dividers a few reference lines to help work out if the point is central, ie the flute lands are the same length- if they are not the sure sign is chips/swarf out of only one side and poor hole sizes.

ff

Quote Originally Posted by Alex. View Post
    That's a fine job. Where did you get the steel wedges out of?
    They are Draper products - http://www.drapertoolbox.co.uk/drape...dges-4399-0000

would of thought there must be an equivalent available there in the States??

ff

anyone ever replaced a fiberglass handle on anything