Thread: 14 month old heifer calve

wellingtonfarmer1

14 month old heifer calve

Just had a wonder round round our yearling heifers and found one has calved? She is only 14 months old, will I struggle to register her with bcms?

sodbuster10-4

Re: 14 month old heifer calve

Just register it and there will be no questions asked.

SamA

As with most things just get on and do it. If they question it the worst they can do is request a DNA test!!

foxbox

I don't see why you would have problems, we've had one calve (around 6 years ago now) at that sort of age and had no issues with it. Unfortunately it does sometimes happen, it's just good news that you've got two live animals as a result

adda

Quote Originally Posted by wellingtonfarmer1 View Post
    Just had a wonder round round our yearling heifers and found one has calved? She is only 14 months old, will I struggle to register her with bcms?
    we had one to calve last year 14 months of age had no problem with bcms it never entered my head i would have had a problem with them

Greysides

Was it a BB?

wellingtonfarmer1

it was a bb out of a bbx, i cant believe how easily our bb is on calving we use him to sweep all the heifers after ai.

Archie

Had one calve at 14 months a few years ago and BCMS never queried it.
    Farmplan did ask was I sure when I entered the births details though.

Worst that can happen is they give you a phone call to confirm it is correct. Better that than being dishonest about the thing.

Topground

Only experienced once with a Dam born 14/04/01 bought as a suckled calf calved 26/06/02. dealt with over the phone before the days of t'interweb at home. Should'nt be a problem if you give them the facts!

Accidental_Farmer

for those who have experience of this. where both calf and mother fine? and would any of these been on a dairy farm just wondering if 14 month heifer was then milked and how she got on?

please excuse my ignorance if i am way out, here

Joules

Quote Originally Posted by Accidental_Farmer View Post
    for those who have experience of this. where both calf and mother fine? and would any of these been on a dairy farm just wondering if 14 month heifer was then milked and how she got on?

We have not had a dairy heifer calve that young but we had one abort its calf last year (neospora) when the heifer was 19 months. She had some milk on her when she aborted so we decided to milk her. Admittedly as she had not gone full term her bag had not really filled out but she has been a very poor milker, only 5,000 litres (our heifers normally nearer 8000 litres). It'll be interesting to see how she gets on in her second lactation.

I worked with a suckler herd once where the a Charolais bull calf was not castrated properly, with the result that 2 twin heifers were in calf and both calved at around 16 months if I recall correctly. What I DO recall is that both were caesarians, but we did manage to save both heifers and both calves (stonking bull calves).

Greysides

Quote Originally Posted by Accidental_Farmer View Post

I'm sure it has happened but, for my money, it's a suckler phenomenon.

Reasons being bull, bull calves and heifer calves are run together and, while not exclusively, the influence of the 'born-pregnant' BBx.

I'm also reasonably sure that 14 months wouldn't be the record either.

wellingtonfarmer1

So I do what I believe was the right thing by registering the calf to its proper mother, and phone bcms to warn them..... They reply with, well we don't really believe you so will need to see your calving records and failing that a DNA test. I could of just lied and registered the f-ing calf to another cow, drives me nuts