Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Traditional sheep breeds and future development of UK sheep sector

hilly bill

Re: Traditional sheep breeds and future development of UK sheep sector

Quote Originally Posted by Inbye View Post
    You're maybe getting a good price for yours then. But farmers and buyers I've spoken to say that they are discounted, suffolks, texels and cheviots always look like the easiest lambs to sell with their tight coats and clean heads

Edit: which market do you sell your lambs through hilly bill?
    Swans, although as numbers rise i think i might start to sell some store and they will go to Longtown last time i sold some the mart had them down as texel x s`

Nithsdale farmer

Quote Originally Posted by hilly bill View Post
    My Romneys make 10£ head more than NCC lambs in fat, they will grow bigger quicker as well.they make about 10£less than fancy texel xs although when i get my numbers up im going to cross 100 ewes with a charoxbeltex ram cant wait to see what they do.

Possibly the best ewe put to the best commercial ram (IMO)? I imagine that will be a bloody good fat lamb - the buyers at market will be clambering over themselves!

Iv been thoroughly impressed with the rams i have

hilly bill

Quote Originally Posted by Nithsdale farmer View Post
    Possibly the best ewe put to the best commercial ram (IMO)? I imagine that will be a bloody good fat lamb - the buyers at market will be clambering over themselves!

Iv been thoroughly impressed with the rams i have
    Aye cant wait to sell some of them, have to get the breeding stock up first though :cry::cry: