Thread: 28m tramlines

cider

28m tramlines

Anyone use 28m trams? What are the pros/cons?

I want to move up from 20m but dont see the point in going to 24m with a 4m drill.

I,ve been assured my Amazone profis will throw granular urea this width with a tray test so cant really see any drawbacks.

Cheers, Cider

Andrew Kerr

Re: 28m tramlines

Mark,

At the moment you can buy AN cheaper anyway.

Be wary of poor quality urea at that width, go for best quality IMO.

JamesC

I want to go up to 24 from 21 and thats only so that I match the main guys around her if I need any help, nowt worse than not matching when you are stuck for a bit of help due to illness or breakdowns at critical times , dont think 'that won't happen to me', 'cos it will sometime, just my 2penn'orth.

marco

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    I want to go up to 24 from 21 and thats only so that I match the main guys around her if I need any help, nowt worse than not matching when you are stuck for a bit of help due to illness or breakdowns at critical times , dont think 'that won't happen to me', 'cos it will sometime, just my 2penn'orth.
    plus it make changing your sprayer very easy when most ar running 24meter

JamesC

Quote Originally Posted by marco View Post
    plus it make changing your sprayer very easy when most ar running 24meter
    Quite , all the kit is available to upgrade at least expense, we already have a 24m fert spinner so a sprayer is on the shopping list. As my grandfather used to say ' if you are out of fashion you may as well be out of the country' (PS the 21m itermeadiate tramlining was fathers idea ,doh! ,cheapest way into a big trailed sprayer at the time, not so as it has turned out, betamax revisited!).

Bog Man

I have been on 30 metres for 12 years but would not try prills at that distance . We were on 24 for 3 years before that . A lot of the neighbours are on 28 so if the sprayer breaks down we have to find a quick way of fixing it.

Badshot

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Most people buy a sprayer for 10 years unless it's worked excessively hard. I can't see that 24m will be the norm in 10 years time.

I believe that 36m will be the 24m 'norm' machine in the year 2022, much like 24m is the norm today in 2012.

In 1990 20m was the norm.

In 1970 12m was the norm.
    Some of the big boys round here are going back to 24,
    1. because 36 has been found to be a pig in little, undulating fields.
    2. because they struggled to get help when needed.
    3. losing acres.

ploughman_1959

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Most people buy a sprayer for 10 years unless it's worked excessively hard. I can't see that 24m will be the norm in 10 years time.

I believe that 36m will be the 24m 'norm' machine in the year 2022, much like 24m is the norm today in 2012.

In 1990 20m was the norm.

In 1970 12m was the norm.

Agreed, farmers round here who were early into 24 metres are now at 36, rest will follow as and when

oliver15

36 m is best thing ever , pleased with the extra output this spring !

Musty

Is the small advantage of going another 4m (to 28m) worth the disadvantage of compatability with backup if neccessary. There is more of this available at 24m.
    Nice to have the 7 X 4m widths for tramlining though.
    Same quandry for me but prob. stick to 24m even with new sprayer
    Good luck

lordbonville

DO IT!

We went from 20 to 28m when we changed sprayer and fert spreader about 7 years ago for exactly the same reason, avoiding a half breed round the headland and greater capacity.
    No regrets at all. We have only once had to use a contractor when the drawbar snapped on our sprayer and ripped all the wiring from the control box. The contractor had to swap some boom end sections from one bateman to another to achieve 28m, but was no issue.
    The spreader does all fert and was a kuhn mds1142, for which spreading charts were almost non existent at 28m. This year we changed to an Amazone zam ultra profis hydro?? which spreads as wide as most machines.
    However, we tend to use Extran for straight N where possible to guarantee accuracy. I have no evidence that other decent quality fert doesn't spread to 28m though.

My next step will either be 6m drill and 30m tramlines or stick with 4m drill and jump to 36m. Have no issues with either although would end up using a proportion of liquid N with boom switching for extra accuracy.

cider

Limiting factor throwing solid fert as liquid not an option yet.

28m seems to be viable so is favourite at the moment.

Thanks for the advice everyone I'll let you know what I choose to do.

Cider

Clive

24m is the UK optimum IMO and my next sprayer will be another 24m machine

Any wider and most of the advantages begin to get lost with things like not being able to throw solid ferts N P or K that far reliably and accurately, machines are heavy so don't travel so well when conditions are iffy etc

Lot of concerns over solid N at that width but how about MOP / TSP ??? I would say no chance and liquid base fert is silly money

If I want more output I will get it by better support of my 24m machine - a 24m machine when supported by a bowser can cover 600ac in a decent day .........how many farms are big enough to REALLY need more than that ?

Used values of a 24m machine are also always going to be better, much bigger used market for 24m and that will remain the case for a good while yet I think

JamesC

Agreed Lee the technology is there for massive booms to work but not really making economic sense for us non broadacre farmers in the foothills with trees, pylons, small fields and urban decay all around, 24m is here for a while yet, I'll just up the tank size a bit for improved efficiency,I have trees with TPO's 10 m in from the headland,been a bind ever since tramlines came in at 12m .Talking to a friend who sowed a field recently for a neighbour- one headland tramline and one down the middle, and this guy was ANTI tramlining to boot!

Andrew Kerr

We have a little field where no tramlines are necessary as the field is less than 48m wide!

tchris

We have just gone from 12m to 18m.
    Stuck at that because we have some very undulating fields where any wider and you are throwing fert int bank side.
    Had a guy in last weekend putting liquid fert onto rape which had gotten to tall for spinner, he had a 36m machine just went up every other tramline

yellow belly

the problem we have is total weight and depth of ruts when it is this wet

a wider boom needs a bigger tank

my current sprayers are 5.5 tonne empty going bigger will need much wider tyres so any advantage of reduced tramlines is lost
    a rut 12 inches wide can easly be crossed by a combine and trailers with out slowing down but a 24 inch wide rut would be too wide and take too much to sort out

doc

for a 24m system why overlap round the hedgeback - just sow as normal, then drive once round the whole field using the join between your 3rd and 4th width as your reference point (for a 4m drill or 4th and 5th widths for 3m) when finished with the drill in the air, this point is 12m from the field margin and will show up for the first pass and subsequently more and more as you spray and fert.
    Havent used tramlines for years (GPS for the body of the field and this way for the headland) - believe it or not, there is less greens in cereals ime.

Steevo

Quote Originally Posted by tchris View Post
    We have just gone from 12m to 18m.
    Stuck at that because we have some very undulating fields where any wider and you are throwing fert int bank side.
    Had a guy in last weekend putting liquid fert onto rape which had gotten to tall for spinner, he had a 36m machine just went up every other tramline
    Surely that would mess up your "in"s and "outs". Instead of a nice single curve like a bracket ) , he'd be crossing them and creating fish-tails. )(

Newhollandcruzr

We have been on 28m for 5 years amazone sprayer ( mounted) and spinner we have not tried to spread urea due to concerns of spread pattern but have been told good quality urea would not be a problem . If your drilling with 4 m its a no brainer , we have hills , banks and nasty corners and would defo go 28m again . Good luck with yours