Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meet the farmers with the mobile milking parlour

lazy farmer

Re: Meet the farmers with the mobile milking parlour

Quote Originally Posted by cudder View Post
    I think the point is that these chaps didn't have any land until last year. They got off their backsides and got themselves a tenancy. They achieved this by having a very good business plan.

And the inevitable "bet its cold/wet" etc - as far as I'm aware the original staff team is still intact - even after the delights of the last few weeks.

These guys are innovators and an inspiration - shame some people can't see this and have to put it down.

+1

welshdairyfarmer

Quote Originally Posted by cudder View Post
    I think the point is that these chaps didn't have any land until last year. They got off their backsides and got themselves a tenancy. They achieved this by having a very good business plan.

And the inevitable "bet its cold/wet" etc - as far as I'm aware the original staff team is still intact - even after the delights of the last few weeks.

These guys are innovators and an inspiration - shame some people can't see this and have to put it down.
    +1. I admire anyone who has the guts to give their business a damned good go, whether its a system like this, or any other system.

I would say those who are willing to criticise the business acumen of fellow farmers may be a little jealous :lolk:.

Forage Trader

I think the guys are stars I would not do it now but may have in my youth, as for criticism I don't see it like that more like advice from people who have seems the pitfalls of it all before or shall we all run round in grass skirts and celebrate this revaluanry new idea that's going to make us all rich

JamesC

Just a couple of historical points , AJ Hosier started in 1920 when he BOUGHT a derelict and largely abandoned 1000 acre arable estate at Wexcombe (any of those about today), neither he nor AG Street milked by hand ,they already had milking plant (so apart from breakdowns hand milking was history for them). In 1927 Hosier had 5 separate herds of about 65 cows each, each milked and managed by one man and a boy, he was an advocate of grass , very keen on grassland management -forward thinking obviously,and felt alternative crops would reduce his profitability, 70 housed cows needed 7 men at that time so he was proud of his reduced labour costs, the cows were healthier and cleaner AND he felt that he had tripled the value of his land investment, AG Street was a mixed farmer who adopted Hosiers ideas and made his whole, substantial , farm more efficient as a result, he soon replaced the dairymen who refused to milk in the new bails! More power to those two lads , I would ov said God speed the plough but I guess God speed the milking bail is more appropriate.

multi power

would there have been any once a day milking years ago when rex patterson etc were around?

JamesC

Quote Originally Posted by multi power View Post
    would there have been any once a day milking years ago when rex patterson etc were around?
    I'm sure, people have tried any and all systems over the years, including milking cows that were also suckling calves on restricted access, not large scale tho I guess.

multi power

i know where there is a farm still leaves the calves to suck for a month

Tim May

I saw this system In Kenya in December It is amazing how simple things can be. They liked the secondary benefit of the moble ellement of imporved pasture where the parlor had been.

iron150

The cows look well!'!!

QUOTE=Tim May;923477]I saw this system In Kenya in December It is amazing how simple things can be. They liked the secondary benefit of the moble ellement of imporved pasture where the parlor had been.[/QUOTE]

multi power

Quote Originally Posted by Tim May View Post
    I saw this system In Kenya in December It is amazing how simple things can be. They liked the secondary benefit of the moble ellement of imporved pasture where the parlor had been.
    those cows look realy good, not what i would have expected in africa

Tim May

They did look very well. They'd had plenty of rain and there was good grass, and the cows get dipped ran trough a spray race for ticks each week that keeps them really clean

YC

great to see they've made it work - it's something we strongly considered here (not that we've ruled it out entirely) as it gets rid of the whole poaching up walkways issue if mobstocking while dairying. Just got to figure out a way of getting the milk back to the farm without chewing everything up.....

Forage Trader

I glad I aint milking outdoors today

Another mobile milking set-up.
    Can't make out how many units, but quite a size!

Surely if the Irish can cope with outside milking, then anyone can ...
    British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum

Interesting to re read this thread. I wonder how the business has fared over the past year which must have been about the worst to kick off such a venture.

Why cant a robot milker and bulk tank be left in the field ?

Quote Originally Posted by saltoun View Post
    Why cant a robot milker and bulk tank be left in the field ?
    Often wondered how long til we can have a robot with solar panels (or something) on a trailer left out in the field - just the bulk tank to tow about then. would be most excellent I think, I'd be first in line for one if I had the money!

The other day I was thinking about mobile robot parlours and how to cool the milk in the field and then how to transport back to the farm. I assume it would have to be an ice bank tank and would have to have some sort of cooling gel (like the ice packs) instead of water for cooling. If there was two or more tanks, then they could be kept cool on cheap rate electricity or solar power at the milk collection point while waiting to be used in the field. This would alleviate the problem of having to use too much electricity in the field for cooling milk. The big question though is whether the working robotic parlour would be too energy hungry to work away from a fixed site?

I was seriously considering something like this, but the change to the single occupancy rules have basically scuppered it for us.

I had a interesting chat with them and Tom Rawson a couple of months ago. It was right in the cold weather and they were flat out calving and they grass was not moving. They were begining to question their sanity. They wouldn't say how much the mobile milker was but it was on lease and they said they had set up for 300 a cow place. Hope the chaps and the cows are a bit happier now the suns shining.

I was thinking along the lines of a big artic sized trailer, two robots and a bulk tank on the back, big wind turbine to power it, and move from farm to farm as required, just as they do with sheep and even outdoor pigs in arable areas. Park trailer in the centre of some paddocks, and let them go from one paddock to the next, can soon blow in cake if required, tanker can collect any time, just use that mobile track system they use to move plant etc if needs be.

All well and good of course but who wants to farm like that? Hard enough time getting folk to milk cows as it is.

Doesn't look that bad to work in. I've milked in far worse!
    If you respect you staff and give them proper time off then they will probably want to stay!

Quote Originally Posted by multi power View Post
    i know where there is a farm still leaves the calves to suck for a month
    Do you know where i can get any info on cows milking and rearing there own calves at the same time. Thanks

Scotland, land of the free home of the brave

Re mobile milking bails: John Cherrington was doing that in Wiltshire in the early/mid 1930's so nothing is new.

Hi, just introducing to the farmers here. We have been developing the mobile milking system concept for more than 10 years with the quite good success Worldwide believing that mobile pasture based milking with our manufactured parlors saves costs and is a good alternative to stationary milking approach. Especially in organic dairies. You can find us on www.milkingsystem.com. We are open to discussion and ready to share of our experience in mobile milking.

Thanks, very interesting!
    Team Rosewood - Grazing where others fear to tread!