Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duncan Drill demo

Ploughman1963

Duncan Drill demo

We had a Duncan drill out on demo yesterday - courtesy of Tractorbob who travelled a long way and had a long day. It turned out to be a bit of a BFF get together actually with a couple of other forum contributors attending.

Conditions were far from ideal - the ground was a lot wetter than we had wished (muddy in places :cry for but the drill did well and we all learned a lot from it. We drilled a long term grazing mixture into an old pasture that was sprayed with round-up about 12 days ago and the grass mowed and baled.
    The ground is very stony/on the rock in places and I was concerned a tine drill would fetch them up. It was actually not a problem in reality - on one pass there were hardly any stones coming up - on a second pass a few more. On the subject of two passes - I was reasonably happy that one pass would do but the farm wanted to see it double passed - by the end of the demo I think they were reasonably happy that depending on how it fills out, on pass would be fine.

Sorry for the very poor photos - I am sure someone else has a few better ones.

Thanks again to Tractorbob - we are going to 'trial plot' areas of the field by rolling some straight away, roll some later, try running sheep over another area - photos and report later.

Regards

JD_Kid

Re: Duncan Drill demo

set of harrows and roll at time of drilling and wait for a sunny day to be drilling .. too eazy to drill too deep in the damp

benferg

Either finger or chain harrows behind to try & put a bit of soil in the slot. & the dryer it is the betterresult you get with trying to put soil back on top. Its always the bck rows that are the worst.

On the flip side the wetter it is the less the stones seem to come up with.

tractorbob

No problems Ploughman. It was an enjoyable and I think valuable day for all concerned not least myself. Unfortunately I fell for the charms of a small ale shop in Chester so won't be able add further pics til later. Thanks again to all who was involved yesterday. Just hope the stuff grows now.

NeilO

Thanks for letting us come and have a nosey Ploughman1963, and to Tractorbob for bringing that well travelled drill down again. Always good to put faces to 'handles'.

I was impressed with the job the drill was doing, in less than ideal conditions, with good seed to soil contact and a tidy enough job made.

Those damned ale shops can be crafty Tractorbob, luring in weary travellers when their guard is down.

Ploughman1963

Quote Originally Posted by benferg View Post
    Either finger or chain harrows behind to try & put a bit of soil in the slot. & the dryer it is the betterresult you get with trying to put soil back on top. Its always the bck rows that are the worst.

On the flip side the wetter it is the less the stones seem to come up with.
    Where the soil was drier further up and later in the day the slot was staying open whilst a nice covering of loose soil was dropping on top of the seed to leave it covered. We could really see then how the principle of the chamber creating its own little micro-climate should work. We felt that running anything over the ground during the first couple of days would be detrimental but the farmer was going to do one pass up and down the field as a trial to see the difference.

You NZ guys keep saying about lime placed near the seed when spraying out an old sward to counteract the acids caused by breakdown - and also applying nitrogen because of N lock-up during decay - and I am persuaded by your argument - but the seed merchants and agronomists I come across over here dont seem to agree. Are they just uninformed / need educating? Is the principle the same over here? Are they just indoctrinated by old school thinking?

benferg

I agree with your wee micro climate thing, you don't look how deep the seed is to ground level but how much soil ends up on top. If it's wet I woudn't roll but I'd still want some covering harrows

Try putting on 100kg/ha of DAP or Crop 20 down the spout & see what happens.

A standard rate of fert with the seed would be around 20 to 40 units of N down the spout. Makes things jump out of the ground faster

As for the lime bit I've never drilled with lime but it's not uncommon to spread lime inbetween spraying & drilling.

JD_Kid

yea it's dirt over seed you can end up drilling 3 inchs deep but yet still only have 1/2 a inch covering

used to drill 125 Kg Ha of crop 20 or 150kg crop 15

if alot of turf may still need N spred to get crop realy cranking untill turf breaks down

lime never drilled it

big things used to have to watch out for was pests slugs grass grub etc etc so keep an eye out for them same with spray job if not a good kill spray it again before drilling

JD_Kid

only other thing i would say is stainless steel boxes if doing fert .. shame they don't do plastic ..

TC tips on the points ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm you can get the od bad batch and they will chip in stoney ground knowing what i know now i would not buy them but buy the standard openers and get them coated with TC chip or TC welding rods http://www.tungstencarbidehardfacing.com/
    less chance of chipping .. if the tip ends up looking like a ski they ride out in hard going

John Maddock

Quote Originally Posted by Ploughman1963 View Post
    Where the soil was drier further up and later in the day the slot was staying open whilst a nice covering of loose soil was dropping on top of the seed to leave it covered. We could really see then how the principle of the chamber creating its own little micro-climate should work. We felt that running anything over the ground during the first couple of days would be detrimental but the farmer was going to do one pass up and down the field as a trial to see the difference.

You NZ guys keep saying about lime placed near the seed when spraying out an old sward to counteract the acids caused by breakdown - and also applying nitrogen because of N lock-up during decay - and I am persuaded by your argument - but the seed merchants and agronomists I come across over here dont seem to agree. Are they just uninformed / need educating? Is the principle the same over here? Are they just indoctrinated by old school thinking?
    In our acid soils (typically pH 4 or 5) it is standard practice to inoculate clover seed with a rhozobium then encapsulate the lot in ground limestone flour.

Creates a mini environment which is less acid, to allow the clover to get going.

Applying N to help decay has never been a practice in Tas that I am aware of - but then our soil and climate conditions are different.

JV

mfield

Has anyone tried one of these drills establishing grass in cereal stubble?

tractorbob

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    Thanks for letting us come and have a nosey Ploughman1963, and to Tractorbob for bringing that well travelled drill down again. Always good to put faces to 'handles'.

I was impressed with the job the drill was doing, in less than ideal conditions, with good seed to soil contact and a tidy enough job made.

Those damned ale shops can be crafty Tractorbob, luring in weary travellers when their guard is down.
    I think Ploughman has an impediment in his reach so i had to take refuge in Chester.

Thanks for coming along Neil - it makes the effort even more worth while when we can get a few people together like yesterday plus it gets different/various points of view / ideas which help me as much as you guys.

As hinted at the start here are a few more pics.

the earlier pics show the first pass and the latter shows the second pass at an angle.

le bon paysan

Quote Originally Posted by mfield View Post
    Has anyone tried one of these drills establishing grass in cereal stubble?
    have used an Aitchison with good results using IRG but needed spraying to clean it up in the spring (it's a bit too open). 3 or more year leys get min-tilled and spun on.

massey765

whats the differance between the duncan and the aitchinson ?

beardedfarmer

Is it still in the area?

Ploughman1963

Quote Originally Posted by massey765 View Post
    whats the differance between the duncan and the aitchinson ?
    a few £grand

benferg

The aitichinson uses sponge feeders to measure, the duncan uses the amazone measuring wheels.

The disc openers on the aitchinson disc openers have lightly less travel I think,

Dam that eco seeder has a small bin & an even smaller lid, stuff loading a slihg pack into that!

Get a drawbar onto that drill ASAP.

NeilO

Good photos Tractorbob, you can hardly see the missed (sorry, 'control' strips).

tractorbob

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    Good photos Tractorbob, you can hardly see the missed (sorry, 'control' strips).

Thanks for that Neilo, it doesn't say "greattractordriverbob". I think ploughman covered every inch that I missed

Ploughman1963

first update - farm manager rang today to say that the grass/clover is already germinating. Only 6 days since drilling - best germination is in the area drilled later where the ground was a bit drier and the seed was covered in the bottom of the slot by soil shaken loose by the tine - as promised. Will try to get some photos on Tuesday.

tractorbob

I've been doing a rain dance today

Ploughman1963

Tell you what tractorbob, you should get down here with your camera. I went over to look at the field tonight - 7 days since drilling and there has been what I can only describe as excellent germination and seedlings of over 2" high. Loads of clover germinating in the slots. Really is very impressive - especially when it was far from ideal conditions. The top of the ground and the pieces of loose turf are baked dry but there is loads of moisture in the slots. We did take some photos but i havent got the camera here now - will post as soon as possible.

tractorbob

That's positive then i'll try to call in on way to the grass land event at Brecon next week.

Ploughman1963

aye up bob, you sound almost surprised?

Ploughman1963

grass seeds 7 days after drilling with Duncan drill. 10p coin for comparison - seed placed 1"-1.5" below surface. Couldnt get a good photo but very good germination of clover in bottom of slot.

remember, this field was double drilled at an angle so what you are seeing is half seed rate in the slots!

tractorbob

Quote Originally Posted by Ploughman1963 View Post
    aye up bob, you sound almost surprised?
    Not at all- I'm more concerned I'm going to building drills all over the bank holiday weekend!lolk:

flyer

had contractor in puting some grass in our wee field

JD_Kid

intresting thing is if you rolled it while drilling at 1.5 inchs no clover would be comeing up

Mr Muck

What would it have looked like if you had had heavy rain after drilling? Would those slots not fill up and drown the seed? Amazing growth there though.

mbsrhol

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Muck View Post
    What would it have looked like if you had had heavy rain after drilling? Would those slots not fill up and drown the seed? Amazing growth there though.
    Sowing into dead turf reduces the chances of smearing and holding water to any great extent. IMO.