Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Duncan Drill demo

tractorbob

Re: Duncan Drill demo

Quote Originally Posted by Ploughman1963 View Post
    I have finished the following harrow today and am very pleased with it - primer on tonight ready for paint tomorrow - photos to follow.

As I'm such a good salesperson I'm writing this on my iPad from the Maldives.

You only needed to ask - we have following harrows gathering dust in the workshop that I could have made even more profit on

I'm not really joking here- Cwh had some harrows with the first ever batch of drills from NZ and they have never been moved since. I like the idea of drilling a bit deeper these days! Our climate is more suitable IMO.

Ploughman1963

Quote Originally Posted by tractorbob View Post
    As I'm such a good salesperson I'm writing this on my iPad from the Maldives.

You only needed to ask - we have following harrows gathering dust in the workshop that I could have made even more profit on

I'm not really joking here- Cwh had some harrows with the first ever batch of drills from NZ and they have never been moved since. I like the idea of drilling a bit deeper these days! Our climate is more suitable IMO.

I rang a couple of people who have been involved with the drill since the demo to talk it through and we all felt that this is the way to go - are conditions so different in NZ JD?

Re the harrow, - hadnt realised you had some available - it will be interesting to see whether what I have built is a bit overkill compared to what you have

As far as bout markers - if we are as busy as I think we will be, some of the drilling could be done in the dark and bout markers will be needed - Tractorbob was right about daytime drilling - manage fine without but once fitted, will be even easier

Ploughman1963

The finished article -

tractorbob

Hi Ploughman

Sorry I havent been in touch today- been one of those days.

That looks like a very tidy job. I looked at the harrows in the loft of the workshop tonight before I left- nothing like as good but the tines are cranked at the bottom? I would be very nervous using that without a burn off? Would it not stimulate the old sward / weeds? Speak tomorrow to catch up.

Tractorbob

JD_Kid

yea alot of the covering tines have a L shaped tine think a few combi PH seeders have them

worst thing that could happen is the tine gets in a row flicking the dirt out

have seen a simple harrow also made out of chain in loops

drill this side
    ------------------- bar
    UUUUUUUUUUUUUUU chains

kinda looking chain length short eneff so drill rased lifts chains off ground

Ploughman1963

Plan A was for a bar with chains like you suggest JD - then these came along .

Bob, yes you are right cranked tines would be better as a following harrow - I did only envisage these being used when drilling into loose/cultivated soil and forward speed meant that the way the soil is thrown by the coulter at speed left seeds at different depths - just wanted to level the ground behind. Will see what cranked tines I can get to suit now that I have the frame.

Would be interested to see the harrows you have.

Ploughman1963

stubble turnips / forage rape into round-upped grass - 16 days post drilling. Drilled at around 1.5" deep - no rolling or harrowing.

Beltbreaker

I had a lad wanting to do a rejuvination yesterday (next to road) whats the thoughts. Is it too late? (bearing in mind I am north of Inverness) Field is bare after hay but damp loamy clay although that shouldn't present a problem. He is deperate for clover and needs it in the spring for ewes. Ley is completely bu**ered. Whats the thoughts.

Thats looking good ploughman. I take it, it had a doses of slug pellets. I drilled 15 acres of OSR yesterday into stubble at 12", I removed the discs as they block the machine up with stubble.

Cheers BB

Ploughman1963

Certainly down here I have lots of grass to do yet and I dont think its too late.

I certainly advised that slug pellets be applied but I saw no evidence and I was calling by every few days to look.

I drilled a field of wheat stubble yesterday opposite that one and only had a couple of blockages on the headland where I was running with the swaths rather than crossing them.

Does anyone know who has a Duncan drill in south west Scotland that would come and do 8 acres for us to try the system of overseeding? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scotsman View Post
    Does anyone know who has a Duncan drill in south west Scotland that would come and do 8 acres for us to try the system of overseeding?

Thanks
    Depending whereabouts in SW Scotland you are, i'm pretty sure G. Rae at Kirkpatrick Fleming has one, give Andy Rae a shout on here.