Thread: lifting a cow with ropes not a hip hoist - how??

lifting a cow with ropes not a hip hoist - how??

There was a thread on here sometime ago, which had a diagram of how to lift a down cow using a rope. I know the rope went around the back and under her dewlap at the front. I cannot remember how it went then. Can anyone remember? I tried doing a search for it but cant find it. Help please.........

Re: lifting a cow with ropes not a hip hoist - how??

No idea sorry. We used to try all sorts of methods, but the best thing we've bought for down cows was the Daisy Lifter from Fearing. The one we have isn't on their site now though.

http://www.fearing.co.uk/cow-lifting
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

I've lifted them with big fertiliser bags looped together but that was more to extricate from an unsuitable place.
    It's not easy to get anything underneath especially if they are laid somewhere wet and mucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Countrygirl View Post
    There was a thread on here sometime ago, which had a diagram of how to lift a down cow using a rope. I know the rope went around the back and under her dewlap at the front. I cannot remember how it went then. Can anyone remember? I tried doing a search for it but cant find it. Help please.........
    We have used an old ratchet strap to lift a cow. Put a bowline loop in one end. Place the strap around the cow; under the dewlap, under the tail, lower down if possible about where your thighs are. The bowline loop wants to be located about the middle of the animal. Thread the ratchet strap through the loop, then pass the strap over the back and under the far side strap and back once again through the loop and tie this off. With a bit of care you lift the cow about the strap which crosses over its back, whilst making sure the strap around the cow tightens up to lift it off the ground. Once off the ground and airborne you lower her down slowly, letting the cow start to take her own weight. It is at this point the strap can loosen and fall away. Practice overcomes this, good luck. Sorry it is days after you posted but just noticed this, Angus.