Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Defender concept

The Pretender

Defender concept

That new Defender that everyone was getting their knickers in a twist about is not going to replace the current museum piece. So what does the panel think of this?

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=25731

Shot put.

Wombat

Re: Defender concept

Looks like someone crossed a jerry can and origional dodge charger

Lofty

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    Looks like someone crossed a jerry can and origional dodge charger
    Certainly got an over grown Jerry can on the side.

Mayo

Pistonheads: they are a load of old women. Most complain bitterly about just about anything new, whilst others will argue tooth and nail about the exact size of bolt that holds on a 1970s Rover head gasket or something similarly irrelevant.

Anyway, no idea who this designer is but I would bet a quid that vehicle does not see the market.

DaveJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
    Pistonheads: they are a load of old women. Most complain bitterly about just about anything new, whilst others will argue tooth and nail about the exact size of bolt that holds on a 1970s Rover head gasket or something similarly irrelevant.
    Sounds a bit like here....

essexpete

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJ View Post
    Sounds a bit like here....
    Now then David you are GOT.
    Back to Mr Pret's question. I would think anthing that could offer a better driving position than the current model (never driven but sat in) must be welcome for those over 5'6''.

relay

Steevo

Its got that Hummer design about it, mixed in with the current styling. Can't see it going to market quite like that but wouldn't be surprised if a similar version did.

Condi

If you say so, although in fact its totally the opposite.

JP

Quote Originally Posted by Condi View Post

+1 in fact more on here !

Beltbreaker

Looks like a Ford Bronco II. Hope it doesn't have the same problems. not sure about the design. So long as its reliable and value for money then it'll be a hit

Cheers BB

The Pretender

Quote Originally Posted by Beltbreaker View Post
    . So long as its reliable and value for money then it'll be a hit

Cheers BB
    That'll be a break from tradition. Onwards and upwards

Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by Condi View Post

I beg to differ. Most of the 'discussion' over there from supposed automotive enthusiasts beggar belief. Here is an example.

'My lotus Elise is faster on a B road than your Focus RS'

'No way'

'Yes way'

'But I have a sport exhaust and remap, and Jost Capito sat in it once'

'Yeah but Lotus know how to make a car handle, have you ever driven one?

'No, but have you ever driven an RS: handles like its on rails' (a pistonheads trademark if there ever was one- read that phrase so often I can only assume 90% of their members are train drivers).

'No'.

'Ah well there you are, also, I just checked 'autoblarg' magazine, my 0-60 time is 0.6 seconds faster than yours, and I spent yesterday hooning around Brands over-taking complete novices in their lotuses so it must be faster- loser!'

Also the find 101 reasons not to buy a car despite the fact you will never want one anyway:

'damn Jag XJ, the lights on the back are all wrong'

'yes but the Audi A8 looks hideous also'

'S Class is crap too, interior looks like it has a built in commode for old people'

'were you thinking about getting one then?'

'No, my wife won't let me and I'm happy with my Golf thanks'

'Yeah I'd never part with my A3, nothing else will fit in my garage'.

BFF has a far more productive car discussion culture in my opinion.

Anyway, returning to the Defender, I preferred the earlier concept. It looked less like a Hummer crossed with a Jeep.

I also think that the more it isn't aimed at farmers the better their sales figures will be.

Lazy

I beg to differ. Most of the 'discussion' over there from supposed automotive enthusiasts beggar belief. Here is an example.

Also the find 101 reasons not to buy a car despite the fact you will never want one anyway:

'damn Jag XJ, the lights on the back are all wrong'

'yes but the Audi A8 looks hideous also'

'S Class is crap too, interior looks like it has a built in commode for old people'

'were you thinking about getting one then?'

'No, my wife won't let me and I'm happy with my Golf thanks'

'Yeah I'd never part with my A3, nothing else will fit in my garage'.

BFF has a far more productive car discussion culture in my opinion.
    As I've said before, once you have driven a Puma, particularly the larger ones, you won't want to even sit in a Deere. Quiet, rides very nicely and just feels all of a piece. Cab interior is light and airy, better than the brown bat cave on the green ones. Multicontroller and full powershift transmission becomes the standard by which all others are judged. Pedals and steering as effortless as a 1.1 Micra.
    :lolk:

turnipkicker

It's vile.

dgw

I have a feeling that it will probably be just another Chelsea tractor with blacked out windows and 'rubber band' tyres on 'wagon wheels'. Contrary to what might seem evident at our local cattle markets, is it true that Defender sales are of miniscule relevance in the global picture of Land Rover sales?

A far cry from the original Series 1 with its PTO attachments and sales literature depicting a multi role farm vehicle!

Right-arm fast

It would probably cost between 25 and 35 grand new, so: 1. too expensive for me 2. you might as well buy a disco 4 if you want a landrover badge

Yale

Quote Originally Posted by turnipkicker View Post
    It's vile.
    +1

hilly bill

Quote Originally Posted by Right-arm fast View Post
    It would probably cost between 25 and 35 grand new, so: 1. too expensive for me 2. you might as well buy a disco 4 if you want a landrover badge
    How much are disco 4`s ?

hilly bill

Quote Originally Posted by The Pretender View Post
    That'll be a break from tradition. Onwards and upwards
    They are more reliable than the competiton these days.

Right-arm fast

Quote Originally Posted by hilly bill View Post
    They are more reliable than the competiton these days.
    I dont know hilly but i would expect you could buy the poverty spec for around 30-35k at a guess. Or a very nice s/h for between 25-30k

pontyboy

hmmm. are they going to have a longer wheel base model as well?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53cxN...feature=relmfu

Cowabunga

Was a long wheelbase ever in doubt? All their rivals in the pick-up sector are exclusively long wheelbase and when the Defender was in its prime, about 20 years ago, they had a huge export market and about 80% or more of production was of the 110 model.
    The UK is an oddball, taking a majority of shorties.

Mayo

Whatever they churn out, it'll be 10 times the original car and sell in quantities they only ever dreamed of before.

Anyone who wants a rehashed version of the old one is in for a big shock.

Cowabunga

Whatever they churn out, it'll be 10 times the original car and sell in quantities they only ever dreamed of before.

Anyone who wants a rehashed version of the old one is in for a big shock.
    They really have to sustain annual sales volume of about tenfold that achieved in recent years with the Defender or they will be dead in the water.
    With the size of the global market that should be easily achieved as long as the product is good enough and competitively priced.

It doesn't need to just match the opposition, it needs to far exceed expectations.

Mayo

This car will have cost a bomb in development costs, so it'll have to pay or it'll be canned rather than replaced next time.

Personally think Jag/LR have done miracles in the last 10 years, even under the cash strapped ownership of Ford. More and more of their products around, and they are no worse than anyone else for reliability.

Do think they need some shiftier engines in it this time, lets get with the programme, all the Jap pick ups have access to 3 litre engines if not larger, don't listen to any farmers just get on and build the thing to sell.

farmboymark

I bet you still have to have the drivers window open to allow enough room for arm movement when turning the steering wheel

Mayo

No, it'll be a physically larger car that will have the LR design language, inspired driving characteristics and be as cool as a mini.

Cowabunga

This car will have cost a bomb in development costs, so it'll have to pay or it'll be canned rather than replaced next time.

Personally think Jag/LR have done miracles in the last 10 years, even under the cash strapped ownership of Ford. More and more of their products around, and they are no worse than anyone else for reliability.

Do think they need some shiftier engines in it this time, lets get with the programme, all the Jap pick ups have access to 3 litre engines if not larger, don't listen to any farmers just get on and build the thing to sell.
    The trend is towards smaller engines of higher power and torque. Fuel efficiency is important now and will be ever more important.
    But a Defender does need around 160hp and 500Nm of torque low down in the rev range in order to tow and perform effortlessly.

What I am afraid of is that they will fit an engine of their own design and build once more. We all know what we think of most of these apart from the 200 and 300 TDi which were exceptional for the marque.

Cowabunga

No, it'll be a physically larger car that will have the LR design language, inspired driving characteristics and be as cool as a mini.

So no improvement in panel and door gaps then.

Mayo

You forget body panels that flex and accept dents like tin-foil, too.