Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Defender concept

Mayo

Re: Defender concept

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    LR do a warranty as well - near 2k pa for a RRS though

Porsche service puts them to shame though - Cayene in for a week to sort a recall on radiators, nice 911cab loan car and treated like a VIP from the moment you walk through the door

LR dealer couldn't be more different - throw the key at you, serve yo luke warn vending machine coffee while you wait in a plastic cup and talk to you like your IQ is no greater than 50.........all followed buy the most astounding bills you have ever seen
    Porsche warranty is supposedly very good, pay an annual fee and they sort it no matter the age/mileage, apparently cheaper than BMW in many cases for a vastly more expensive car!

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
    Porsche warranty is supposedly very good, pay an annual fee and they sort it no matter the age/mileage, apparently cheaper than BMW in many cases for a vastly more expensive car!
    yes they are great - covered my RS for about 1k per year and were never bothered how I had broken it or if it was used on a track / ring etc they just fix it - reckon I have had at least 5k of work every year if I had been paying for it and they will cover cars regardless of age

Mayo

yes they are great - covered my RS for about 1k per year and were never bothered how I had broken it or if it was used on a track / ring etc they just fix it - reckon I have had at least 5k of work every year if I had been paying for it and they will cover cars regardless of age
    Now that is service and shows serious confidence in their product.

Cowabunga

Now that is service and shows serious confidence in their product.
    They made a massive mistake covering Clive's car

Misplaced confidence or what.

joe soapy

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    They made a massive mistake covering Clive's car

Misplaced confidence or what.
    Nope, just cheap advertising, lots will have porsh for sunday car, do hardly any miles, but hear of clives repairs and then buy warrenty they dont need

Right-arm fast

What on earth do they spend 5k a year on Clive ? Thats not good advertising for a RRS - on top of depreciation that cars costing a fortune.

Mayo

Cars that are hammered on race tracks tend to go through a lot of brake components and things like suspension bushes. Re-furbishing dampers and the like, its all labour related.

Thing is a porsche drive train will have been tested to destruction by experienced car testers years before the actual car went on sale.

I read a lot on the web about how they tested a lot of cars in Dubai and Africa (Tanzania I think), they were looking for sand and dust, they would drash cars across lots of miles with the air con flat out all night and day, then park it against a wall and leave it running from having just been totally thrashed. Any single kind of problem would be emailed straight back to their R&D centre. At the end of the testing they would ship the car back and take everything to pieces to examine it.

This is why weight for weight Porsches suffer far less gremlins than things like Aston Martins.

Having said that my buddy took delivery of a brand spanker 911 Carrera S and the fuel gauge didn't work. Porsche took the car straight back and changed the whole dash. Didn't spot my friend putting his name down for a new 911 turbo when it is released later this year.

Mounty

Quote Originally Posted by Right-arm fast View Post
    What on earth do they spend 5k a year on Clive ? Thats not good advertising for a RRS - on top of depreciation that cars costing a fortune.
    Think he means his Carerra RS, not an RRS !!

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Mounty View Post
    yes i meant the warranty on a GT3 RS ! they are just as good on our cayenne though, cheap warranty and can't fault the service at all - make you realise how bad LR are when you see how well it can be done

My RRS has been good to be fair to it - 80k miles in 4 years and just routine service and consumables, only warranty claims have been new arb bushes which i get through a set of every 6k miles !

Dealer attitude stinks though - they have not got a clue about customer service and give me a mazda 6 loan car !! .........i would rather walk !

Mayo

yes i meant the warranty on a GT3 RS ! they are just as good on our cayenne though, cheap warranty and can't fault the service at all - make you realise how bad LR are when you see how well it can be done

My RRS has been good to be fair to it - 80k miles in 4 years and just routine service and consumables, only warranty claims have been new arb bushes which i get through a set of every 6k miles !

Dealer attitude stinks though - they have not got a clue about customer service and give me a mazda 6 loan car !! .........i would rather walk !
    Shit me man, a Mazda 6 loan car? That is very poor. Last time I went into a Porka dealership with my mad uncle they looked at us like a piece of shit. Unsurprisingly, no sale.

By contrast Audi dealers was like stepping into a top class hotel.

Apparently Aston dealers are total shits though, friend of mine went in and wanted a test drive, which you won't get unless you actually put down a 20K deposit to buy a new car. Who the hell spends upwards of 80-100K on a car without test driving it first?

Right-arm fast

Quote Originally Posted by Mounty View Post

My mistake Mounty. The same still applies though.

Clive, im still interested to know what costs 5k per year on top of normal servicing.

Mounty

Mainly front and rear valance and under carriage, 911's never have been the greatest field car

Julian_P

Who the hell spends upwards of 80-100K on a car without test driving it first?
    Posh Spice, Mrs Rooney......

Actually they probably get all sorts of nutters without the ability to rub two pennies together trying to blag test drives all day long. The sales men have to sort the wheat from the chaff!

Julian.

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Right-arm fast View Post
    My mistake Mounty. The same still applies though.

Clive, im still interested to know what costs 5k per year on top of normal servicing.
    It had a gearbox rebuild that cost 7k IIRC after a 2nd gear syncro stripped, the diff was rebuilt twice and cost circa 2k each time etc, parts are expensive for a car like that - a set of front brake pads were 450 and front discs 1500 for steel or 8k for ceramics !! I had a full set of ceramics replaced under warranty at something like 12k retail the first year I had it as they wore unevenly

basically if your using a car like that properly you REALLY don't want the bills that come with it, if you were just tottering around the roads though it woudln't be bad at all

Julian_P

This is why weight for weight Porsches suffer far less gremlins than things like Aston Martins.

I believe the same holds true for the latest Discos and Rangies. LR have the ability to stuff them full of high tech bling and turn them into the best gin palaces money can buy, but they are woefully lacking in R&D budget requitred to actually manufacture a product that does 'what it says on the tin' for more than a few days. Wallet raping and days at the dealer is the price the owner pays for the lack of investment, poor quality components and lack of testing.

Julian.

joe soapy

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_P View Post
    I believe the same holds true for the latest Discos and Rangies. LR have the ability to stuff them full of high tech bling and turn them into the best gin palaces money can buy, but they are woefully lacking in R&D budget to actually manufacture a product that does 'what it says on the tin' for more than a few days. Wallet raping and days at the dealer is the price the owner pays for the lack of investment, poor quality components and lack of testing.

Julian.
    If buying new or fairly new, go to a garage thats likely to be around for a while, and buy as a private consumer. The laws in place now give the purchaser a very strong hand for up to 6 years/5 years in Scotland. Garages almost always lose when taken to court over repairs

Clive

So this is funny !!

Today I needed to wire up a power supply for a PMR in my defender for harvest, the battery is where it always has been, under the passenger seat

now you used to remove the seat cushion and they unclip a lid and you were in..........not any more you don't, the seat is bolted on top of it so a 10mm socket and extension is required, 4 long bolts latter and seat on the yard and your in ! really handy on a cold winters day when a jump start is either needed or to be offered to someone else in their lesser Jap pickup !

Then funny becomes hilarious when I discover that next to the battery is the Jack and tool kit ! sooooo you need tools to get to the tools...........GENIUS !!

It's just such a crap design but like a ugly puppy you still have to love it despite it's many, many faults !

Julian_P

It's probably a good think that you can't get to jumper lead start it easily. Like all modern tackle with so many sensitive microprocessors the chance of a voltage spike creating 'meltdown' is too great!

Julian.

Timbo_1975

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_P View Post
    It's probably a good think that you can't get to jumper lead start it easily. Like all modern tackle with so many sensitive microprocessors the chance of a voltage spike creating 'meltdown' is too great!

Julian.
    +1, but I believe there are specific jump lead points under the bonnet now.

essexpete

So this is funny !!

It's just such a crap design but like a ugly puppy you still have to love it despite it's many, many faults !

That give me hope.

JP

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...overs-revealed

Latest "update" although it doesn't tell you much

Quite liked richnorton's post

The photo with the 16 model line up won't expand enough to see it properly although I expect it's on the web somewhere

Nithsdale farmer

LR arnt that stupid afterall. There keeping the current defender as its clear to be seen in the plannings of the 16-car lineup, along with some other interesting variations. Hopefully these variations lose the 'toy car' looks of the concept DC100.

fergie35

Quote Originally Posted by Nithsdale farmer View Post
    LR arnt that stupid afterall. There keeping the current defender as its clear to be seen in the plannings of the 16-car lineup, along with some other interesting variations. Hopefully these variations lose the 'toy car' looks of the concept DC100.

I would imagine as the caption below that diagram says, the current defender model will be made for other countries where the regulations do not effect it, most likely won't be available here any more.

JP

Quote Originally Posted by Nithsdale farmer View Post
    Yep if Cameron takes us out of Europe and the economy continues to become like a third world country, we might still be able to buy a "real" Defender - if anyone wants one

Still quite like the DC100 but I bet you can't get a third front seat. Why? if Fiat could do it within the rules with their Multipla, why not, so useful

Mayo

The new Defender will be a raging success, even if not a single one is sold to a farmer.

essexpete

Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...overs-revealed

Latest "update" although it doesn't tell you much

Quite liked richnorton's post

The photo with the 16 model line up won't expand enough to see it properly although I expect it's on the web somewhere
    It will blow up on the comp screen and still read OK.

Mayo

JLR are going places, I sincerely hope they move forward and sell more cars than ever before, they now have a model line up and cars which are genuinely desirable again but also which deserve to be class leaders.

Clive

The new Defender will be a raging success, even if not a single one is sold to a farmer.
    I will buy one and I'm a farmer

Cowabunga

I will buy one and I'm a farmer
    I've been waiting nearly 20 years for this new model, so yes I'll be buying one unless the grim reaper gets me first. Let's put it this was, I'm not holding my breath until it arrives.

I strongly suspect that this non-story has been released with an ulterior motive, possibly preparing the way for a begging operation for state aid for investment, possibly in the UK, China and India.
    The current defender is almost certain to live on in some form but built in India and China for those regions and export to African and other areas where those countries have most influence.

Nithsdale farmer

Its becoming more apparent the DC100 concept which we have been shown pictures of is NOT the Defender replacement. Its a SUV. There are other versions to be released which will be closer to the Defender 'replacement'. My guessing was it was thrown into the ring as a replacement by LR to stirr discussion and evoke a reaction from potential buyers.