Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: deere 6400 or 6410

biggles

deere 6400 or 6410

going to look at a jd 6400 at the weekend and have been told steer clear and go for a 6410, other than price whats the difference between the two and what should i check and look out for on these tractors, would probably look at puting a loader on it at some point.

john8210

Re: deere 6400 or 6410

not sure what exact difference is but i remember years ago a 64 and 6410 carting trailers and the 10 was running rings around the 00, could be fuelled and blown differently maybe not sure but the 10 deffinatly had way more power. the owner of the 10 had it a long time and has stuck with 64s and now runs 4 6430s , damm good machines ! you wont be disapointed. true pocket rockets.

Tractordave

6400s are ok, but go for a late one, say P or R reg as they were the best ones and the faults and niggles had been ironed out by this stage. (Avoid the early M,N,L reg ones, not so nice.) Good tractor imo.

But- the 10 series are better again and, for me, the best mainstream tractor range John deere have produced that i have experienced. Very smooth engine compared to the 00s, all new powertech lump. Much more powerful brakes, option of TLS as well. Very good on fuel compared to 20 and 30 series too. Late ones had powerquad plus too.

DaveJ

From memory, important things to look for - wear in linkage rockshaft, and in drive shaft joining engine and transmission. There was also apparently an issue with bolts holding the Powerquad pack failing but I'm not sure how to check other than to ask if they've been changed. 6410 is the one to go for, but I'd happily buy a good 6400 over a rough 6410. In their day the best tractor of the size made and surprisingly handy on a loader.
    Profi did a buyer's guide to the 6010 series a few years ago, if you have a subscription or a mate with one it should be available on line.

sid

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJ View Post
    From memory, important things to look for - wear in linkage rockshaft, and in drive shaft joining engine and transmission. There was also apparently an issue with bolts holding the Powerquad pack failing but I'm not sure how to check other than to ask if they've been changed. 6410 is the one to go for, but I'd happily buy a good 6400 over a rough 6410. In their day the best tractor of the size made and surprisingly handy on a loader.
    Profi did a buyer's guide to the 6010 series a few years ago, if you have a subscription or a mate with one it should be available on line.

there is a 10mm headed bolt that runs right up through the powerquad box. Its approx 6" long and has a tendancy to shear off where the shaft meets the thread leaving the thread a long long way in the quad box and a pig to get out. Easy to sort...just replace the bolt before it breaks.

Have also heard mentioned about checking the hydraulic cross shaft? make sure its not bent.

Sid

JohnDeere8530

not a lot different really between a later 6400 and 10..... If like for like ie same hours I would give no more than say 1500 for a 10 over a 00.

Cross shafts on arms and I think coupling between engine and gearbox are problem areas. Also make sure fans in cab work properly at all speeds, motors pack up

ploughman_1959

The 6410 has a larger constant power band than the 6400, the over power as the RPM drops is bigger, having said that our RVT tuned 6400 would put out 119 hp at PTO, the RVT tuned 6410 would only do 110 hp at PTO, mechanic said the pump was less tunable than the 00's, but overall it was the superior machine and had true grit when under pressure

pylon dodger

We had one of each and the 6400 was far better than the 6410 Better on power and better for reliability but that was just my 2. Infact i think the 6400 was the best tractor I've ever spent 9800 hours in

brynseiri

What sort of life expectancy do they have once tuned? is it just a case of opening out the injector pump, or are other things involved?

adda

i bought a 6400 about 6 months ago off my local dealer/mate it quite often pulls 10 ton of corn no problem i thought it was a bit pricey for the year compared to other makes but he said it would hold on to its value quite well to be honest i do like the tractor but dont tell my mate/dealer as he is on here from time to time

The Pretender

Quote Originally Posted by brynseiri View Post
    What sort of life expectancy do they have once tuned? is it just a case of opening out the injector pump, or are other things involved?
    There were versions of that engine available from DPS @150hp when they were first launched.

You'll need to keep it cool and keep the transmission from expiring when juicing it up. Even though it is a John Deere and in actual fact, the Lord Jesus Christ in mechanical form, it will still have limits.

I have driven a stoked up ex-RVT ex-demo 6400. Twas ok, nothing special.
    It was supposed to be 110@PTO. That made my 8240 about 115 at the shaft then.

There was one on Tractorhouse a year or two ago with 15,000 hours on it.

brynseiri

Quote Originally Posted by The Pretender View Post
    There were versions of that engine available from DPS @150hp when they were first launched.

You'll need to keep it cool and keep the transmission from expiring when juicing it up. Even though it is a John Deere and in actual fact, the Lord Jesus Christ in mechanical form, it will still have limits.

I have driven a stoked up ex-RVT ex-demo 6400. Twas ok, nothing special.
    It was supposed to be 110@PTO. That made my 8240 about 115 at the shaft then.

There was one on Tractorhouse a year or two ago with 15,000 hours on it.
    How much would RVT charge to stoke one up nowadays? Had a 6310 se from new (2003), has the same engine as the 6410 (unless some geek comes up with a "it has a different didgit on the serial no" answer) Its the 4.5 litre powertech, only done 2000 hours or so. It has plenty of poke, does all I ask, and I do "ask", but a couple of extra horses would be helpfull on road work. I maintain this tractor to the letter, and dont thrash it, (anyone on here who knows me personally will tell you) so would I be spoiling a (what I think) is a great tractor, and causing me some expensive repairs in the future? Jumping her from 100 to 110 would be the aim.

john432

Turned my 6400 up years ago by just turning the sealed screw on the outside of the injector pump. Was dynoed a few years ago at over 120hp on the shaft. Have had a bit of head gasket problems, but not for a few years now since gasket was fitted properly according to the workshop manual and new head bolts fitted. Thought the clutch had gone a few weeks ago,but turned out to be a broken rollpin on the actuating lever inside the gearbox. no real problem with tuning then up, thrives on hard work, just keep the rad and screen clean to avoid overheating.

aidank

http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/30/03/...es-JD-6400.htm

of all the machines that would go around the clock a few times a JD would

jd 6820

A JD 6400 is a very capable tractor and not one to be dismissed, the one we run is very agile and can handle the lowloader + 13ton digger no problem, even the tracked draining machine is no bother that is nearer 20ton! The tractor has a few hours on the clock and still runs like new. Couldn't ask for a better 'low' cost tractor, makes a very economical and viable tractor to run.

CairngormBeef

If you're putting a loader on, make sure you get grease into the from axle pivot point on a regular basis. I worked on a farm that both 6400 and a 6410, I thought the 6400 had the edge on pulling power, but not a lot between them. The 6410 had front links and the we had to re-pin and bush the front axle a couple of times, it wasn't easy to get grease into the pivot sometimes, then the wear would start.........
    Either way, that was really the only bother we had with either of them.

ploughman_1959

Quote Originally Posted by brynseiri View Post
    How much would RVT charge to stoke one up nowadays? Had a 6310 se from new (2003), has the same engine as the 6410 (unless some geek comes up with a "it has a different didgit on the serial no" answer) Its the 4.5 litre powertech, only done 2000 hours or so. It has plenty of poke, does all I ask, and I do "ask", but a couple of extra horses would be helpfull on road work. I maintain this tractor to the letter, and dont thrash it, (anyone on here who knows me personally will tell you) so would I be spoiling a (what I think) is a great tractor, and causing me some expensive repairs in the future? Jumping her from 100 to 110 would be the aim.

Chris Wilner, formerly of RVT has set up his own business ( if I have my facts correct) selling tuning modules etc out of the original depot at Pontesbury, he would be the man to talk to.

JD had an issue with breaking cranks in the 6200's and locally the finger was pointed at RVT for their tuning antics, investigation showed that Alexander and Duncan at Leominster who never tuned a tractor had the same percentage of crank failures per tractors sold as RVT.

biggles

cheers for all your comments, very informative, what gearbox options are available and is front suspension recomended and any good with a loader.

ReidyNZ

Quote Originally Posted by ploughman_1959 View Post
    Chris Wilner, formerly of RVT has set up his own business ( if I have my facts correct) selling tuning modules etc out of the original depot at Pontesbury, he would be the man to talk to.

JD had an issue with breaking cranks in the 6200's and locally the finger was pointed at RVT for their tuning antics, investigation showed that Alexander and Duncan at Leominster who never tuned a tractor had the same percentage of crank failures per tractors sold as RVT.

They had the 3.9 engine which WAS prone to crank failure - 4.5 didn't

ReidyNZ

Quote Originally Posted by biggles View Post
    cheers for all your comments, very informative, what gearbox options are available and is front suspension recomended and any good with a loader.
    6400 PQ 16/20/24 speed - 16 & 20 were only 30km/hr

6410 PQ 16/20/24 & PQ Plus which was switch/button power shift (can't recall if Auto quad was on 10 series- think it was - which gave auto shift on PQ, could be over-ridden by manual shifting) LH reverser, lectric on Premium & cable on SE (optional RH on prem.) SE only had 16 speed 38km/hr - here anyway

The Pretender

Remember you are buying an old tractor and an expensive on at that, so it needs to be right.

Front suspension is great. End of. But, as I said, you are buying an old tractor, so it will be something else you need to check that works properly when you buy it and you will need to keep it maintained, there is a fair chance it will need some cash spending on it at some point. That said, it will be cheaper to overhaul than you back.

Left hand reversers are preferred and would be just about essential on a loader tractor. Your right hand can only do so much. I don't like the lever position and action for the LHR John Deere's, but if you've not driven anything else, it won't worry you.

If you do your home work and find a good one you will like it, just remember other makes and models are available.

deere2140

Quote Originally Posted by ReidyNZ View Post
    They had the 3.9 engine which WAS prone to crank failure - 4.5 didn't
    Indeed , it was the early 62 and 63's , K , L maybe M reg that had crank failure . As a cost cutting measure , JD fitted a cast crank into the early 3.9 litre models , as opposed to a forged crank as fitted to the earlier 40/50 series . The 6100 and 6400 were fitted with longer blocks to accomodate the longer stroke from their forged crank . After a few failures , JD quickly changed the production onto forged cranks and introduced their Fix-If-Fail policy .
    I had an early 6300 , a 1992 K reg , bought used in 1998 that broke its crank cutting silage in 1999 . It would still run , but made a horrible noise , and you could see something was amiss as the timing gear cover was pushed in and out by the misaligned crank . I spoke to JD and they saidthe tractor was too old and had done too many hours ( 5000 I think ) to qualify and it had been opened up by a previous owner to around 110 hp .
    One story I did hear was that one of the first 63's to break a crank was repaired then dynoed at 125 hp

brynseiri

Whats Chris Wilners number? think I will have a chat with him and see what's what.

The Pretender

Quote Originally Posted by deere2140 View Post
    Indeed , it was the early 62 and 63's , K , L maybe M reg that had crank failure . As a cost cutting measure , JD fitted a cast crank into the early 3.9 litre models , as opposed to a forged crank as fitted to the earlier 40/50 series . The 6100 and 6400 were fitted with longer blocks to accomodate the longer stroke from their forged crank . After a few failures , JD quickly changed the production onto forged cranks and introduced their Fix-If-Fail policy .
    I had an early 6300 , a 1992 K reg , bought used in 1998 that broke its crank cutting silage in 1999 . It would still run , but made a horrible noise , and you could see something was amiss as the timing gear cover was pushed in and out by the misaligned crank . I spoke to JD and they saidthe tractor was too old and had done too many hours ( 5000 I think ) to qualify and it had been opened up by a previous owner to around 110 hp .
    One story I did hear was that one of the first 63's to break a crank was repaired then dynoed at 125 hp
    That will mean a lot to Reidy

Sleepy

get one bought soon, they are only going 1 way in value

biggles

would i be right in thinking that all the 24 speed ones will be 40k then , or if not how do i tell, obviously without driving it down the road.

jfdi

A mate near meifod had a 6400 off RVT that maverick had fiddled with that was pushing 130hp, it was an awesome tractor on the mowers and combi drill but drank like a fish,

deere2140

would i be right in thinking that all the 24 speed ones will be 40k then , or if not how do i tell, obviously without driving it down the road.
    Yes , the 6 range models are 40k . There was also 4 range and 5 range models , both of these were 30k . The 4 range models had the rsnges spread about a bit more , and A1 was quite a bit faster than the other 2 types . The 5 and 6 range models were IIRC the same gearing in A, B, C and D , but E range was a bit faster in the 5 range than in the 6 range model .
    Now it's relatively common and easy to convert the 5 range models to 6 , a few parts are needed , and its a cab tilt, gear box out job , but at the time it was about 1000 at a dealer . This gave an extra range , F , but the result was a higher geared F range than the standard 6 range models . Most of these converted models would do nearly 50k .
    If you wanted a very fast 6000 series , you ordered a 5 range model ( either 15 speed Synchro or 20 speed PowerQuad ) , specced it on the smallest wheels available , 16.9 x 30 ( the factory would fit higher gearing to reach 30k ) , then get the dealer to fit the 6th range and 18.4 x 38's . The result would be a tractor that would do over 50k .
    If you do this to a 6100 then it'll struggle with any load , though a lot of 61's were turbo'ed .

Sleepy

Quote Originally Posted by deere2140 View Post
    Yes , the 6 range models are 40k . There was also 4 range and 5 range models , both of these were 30k . The 4 range models had the rsnges spread about a bit more , and A1 was quite a bit faster than the other 2 types . The 5 and 6 range models were IIRC the same gearing in A, B, C and D , but E range was a bit faster in the 5 range than in the 6 range model .
    Now it's relatively common and easy to convert the 5 range models to 6 , a few parts are needed , and its a cab tilt, gear box out job , but at the time it was about 1000 at a dealer . This gave an extra range , F , but the result was a higher geared F range than the standard 6 range models . Most of these converted models would do nearly 50k .
    If you wanted a very fast 6000 series , you ordered a 5 range model ( either 15 speed Synchro or 20 speed PowerQuad ) , specced it on the smallest wheels available , 16.9 x 30 ( the factory would fit higher gearing to reach 30k ) , then get the dealer to fit the 6th range and 18.4 x 38's . The result would be a tractor that would do over 50k .
    If you do this to a 6100 then it'll struggle with any load , though a lot of 61's were turbo'ed .

I have briefly driven a 6100 that started life on turf tyres, someone had obviously had the F range put in, at some point the engine had been opened up a little and then it had been swapped onto normal big tyres.

It did well over 40 mph

Gerbert

In the Netherlands the 64's had one big plus over the other 4 cilinders, the 96 l/m pump over the regular 60 something. This is why they are wanted more but I don't think this was the case in Britian so keep your eyes open for 63's, however you will struggle to find a 6010 other then 6410 with TLS. My father bought a new 6110 in '98 and was told it wasn't available on that model but I have seen one with it.
    Back to the matter, I would pay a good bit more for a 10 series. The 6000's where good but the 10's where just better on everything. Nicer interior, more logical light switches, better dashboard. Also the frontaxle casters are maintenance free, the quick couplers on the liftarms are a little easier (to me). I you are looking to spend long days in it be sure to buy one with aircon. If it has, it is also a plus if it does NOT have a roof hatch, they have a tendency to leak a little when cleaning but I think there are no 6000's without.
    Now I think of it, at all 6000/6010's, look for cracks on the plastic rear fenders, they are quite expensive and a pig to replace. Ironnically, the cheaper black ones seem to hold up a lot longer. Also, if the tractor has the extensions they are higher specced mostly.
    Can't think of anything more at the moment.