Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: deere 6400 or 6410

powerfarmer

Re: deere 6400 or 6410

Interesting read folks, just wondering are the SE models of the 6410 much different?

Poorbuthappy

Quote Originally Posted by sleepygit View Post
    I have briefly driven a 6100 that started life on turf tyres, someone had obviously had the F range put in, at some point the engine had been opened up a little and then it had been swapped onto normal big tyres.

It did well over 40 mph
    Wonder if its the same one I drove once

OhDeere

Returning to a bit dated thread:

The differences between 6410 & 6410 SE are pretty much the same as between 6400's: heater in the cab roof, instrument panel doesn't move along with the steering wheel, louder cabin (@80 db), oil pump is an open system gear pump, ect. SE's aren't that much cheaper when compared either..

Unrelated question: How do you figure a 6300 would handle tuning up power, to the level of a 6400? Same back end & transmission i imagine ?

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by OhDeere View Post
    Returning to a bit dated thread:

The differences between 6410 & 6410 SE are pretty much the same as between 6400's: heater in the cab roof, instrument panel doesn't move along with the steering wheel, louder cabin (@80 db), oil pump is an open system gear pump, ect. SE's aren't that much cheaper when compared either..

Unrelated question: How do you figure a 6300 would handle tuning up power, to the level of a 6400? Same back end & transmission i imagine ?
    The 6300 will share the smaller 3.9 litre engine with the 6200. Not only is this a smaller engine than that fitted to the 6400 but it might also be fitted with an inferior crankshaft made of a different metal. These cranks have been known to fail catastrophically.
    The 6400 shares the transmission with the 6600 six cylinder. Not sure how it differs but check on the number of plates in the clutch packs and that kind of thing. It also lifts more on the stronger links than a 6200/6300.

OhDeere

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    The 6300 will share the smaller 3.9 litre engine with the 6200. Not only is this a smaller engine than that fitted to the 6400 but it might also be fitted with an inferior crankshaft made of a different metal. These cranks have been known to fail catastrophically.
    The 6400 shares the transmission with the 6600 six cylinder. Not sure how it differs but check on the number of plates in the clutch packs and that kind of thing. It also lifts more on the stronger links than a 6200/6300.

Ahh, forgot to mention. The 6300's were made with both engines, 3s and 4s. The one i'm (buying, should my offer be accepted), is one of the latter. Alright, i'll have to do some checking, thanks..

OhDeere

How much do you figure they're worth paying for, if i fancied to export one from the UK or Ireland?

1997-98 model, in decent condition and at 5k hours or so?

deere2140

£15k . Yes really . If it is tidy then that's what good ones make . Rough ones start at half that .

Mr Muck

We bought a 7k hour really tidy 6600 last spring for £9k! Had brakes and cross shaft done on it. Its a bloody good tractor bar the brakes are a bit poor compared to newer tractors, we have a 6620 and the 6600 will pass it for power. Would like a 6410 and 6910 with tls for cheap to run, comfortable workhorses.

Hesston4860s

6410 on ebay asking 20k starting price !

ed_574

Got our 6410 with about 2000 hours on, its now on 8100ish. Not really had much bother with it, did have the gears in the front hub seize up on us when mowing which put it out of action for a bit, it had a radiator a few years ago, couple of sensors and a fuel pump but thats about it really, few other little bits such as gas struts for the back window and a new door glass (driver error ) Still on its original brakes and no signs of any problems, although these will probably be done soon for piece of mind, all basic engine/transmission/back end components have been spot on though. Linkage is starting to wear a bit and the pick up hitch is the next thing that needs sorting, but its been one of the best tractors we have had. Its had the 50k tweak too and does a good 31mph on the road, the only thing that I wish it had was TLS. Its a bit bouncy on the road compared to modern counterparts, but I'd still recommend them to anyone. A good combination of electronics and mechanical levers too.

OhDeere

Quote Originally Posted by ed_574 View Post
    Got our 6410 with about 2000 hours on, its now on 8100ish. Not really had much bother with it, did have the gears in the front hub seize up on us when mowing which put it out of action for a bit, it had a radiator a few years ago, couple of sensors and a fuel pump but thats about it really, few other little bits such as gas struts for the back window and a new door glass (driver error ) Still on its original brakes and no signs of any problems, although these will probably be done soon for piece of mind, all basic engine/transmission/back end components have been spot on though. Linkage is starting to wear a bit and the pick up hitch is the next thing that needs sorting, but its been one of the best tractors we have had. Its had the 50k tweak too and does a good 31mph on the road, the only thing that I wish it had was TLS. Its a bit bouncy on the road compared to modern counterparts, but I'd still recommend them to anyone. A good combination of electronics and mechanical levers too.
    Isn't that quite a list of problems? A fuel pump!?

Do you know of any dealers that test & fix tractors before passing them on? JD's preferably?

Gerbert

He most likely means the fuelpump in the tank. That one breaks often.
    Enough problems with them, no doubt, but I love my 6610.
    I grew up with 10 series so im biased as can be I guess but everything just feels right. It doesn't matter what tractor I drive or how much better they are, I feel at home in my 6610.

Edit: As for the fuelpump problem, some kicks to the underside of the fueltank will start her up and keep her going for a few days. At least you can go to home/the dealer then.

ed_574

Aye meant the fuel pump in the tank. Not the injector pump. Maybe should have made that clearer. But for the hours its done and the work/abuse its had, I don't think thats too bad of a list... You can't expect a tractor to work flawlessly all the time without a few problems...

Quote Originally Posted by john432 View Post
    Turned my 6400 up years ago by just turning the sealed screw on the outside of the injector pump. Was dynoed a few years ago at over 120hp on the shaft. Have had a bit of head gasket problems, but not for a few years now since gasket was fitted properly according to the workshop manual and new head bolts fitted. Thought the clutch had gone a few weeks ago,but turned out to be a broken rollpin on the actuating lever inside the gearbox. no real problem with tuning then up, thrives on hard work, just keep the rad and screen clean to avoid overheating.
    I have a very early model 6410 (1998 I believe) with the mechanical pump and would like to turn it up, where would I do that at? Where is the sealed screw you are referring to? How much should I turn it?

Quote Originally Posted by GAT View Post
    I have a very early model 6410 (1998 I believe) with the mechanical pump and would like to turn it up, where would I do that at? Where is the sealed screw you are referring to? How much should I turn it?
    Do the k reg 6400ís do well as Iím looking at one

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Fowler View Post
    Do the k reg 6400ís do well as Iím looking at one
    We love our 6410!

Our JD mechanic turned a 6610 up for us and he told me it was approx. 10% per one full turn.
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.