Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our twin C&F 15s

830profistar

Our twin C&F 15s

well, thought i would start a thread to track the progress of our turbine project here on the farm.

Decided to work with mint energy, who seem to know what theyre up to, they got us planning without any hastle atall, thought it might be a pain as we thought it was in a very visible location. anyway thats approved and between silage, slurry and raiy days we will be building them trhis summer.

Theyre going in a field which is probably always going to be Dairy cow grazing behind the farm with the Atlantic 3/4 a mile away wind shouldnt be a problem.
    The mint energy man came a couple weeks ago to mark the sites, heres a pic of them, if you look close you will see tho old fence posts we chapped i at the corners, view is looking south west ish, the Atlantic was on my right turbine one site was about 50m behind me.

Got neighbour coming over with his digger today, so going to do the bases and i think the mint people have free dates in the next week or two, so concrete could be very soon too.

will add more photos tonight if i take any.

clover

Re: Our twin C&F 15s

Why 15s rather than 20s ?

830profistar

Quote Originally Posted by clover View Post
    Why 15s rather than 20s ?
    its the maximum the planners would allow, we were amazed we got planning for the two 15s. and i thin for 20s we would have to go three phase which would be very expensive!

830profistar

Ok, got the foundation holes dug today, a couple photos....

Starting the firts one.

Ready for steel and concrete.

Things are moving fast now, the guys are coming tomorrow with the reinforcing, and concrete is booked for friday. the lorry wont get to the sites, and theres no dupers available for hire, so think its gonna be a couple telehandlers.
    two prices for concrete, 145, and 111, apparently the spec C&F ask for is stronger than what went into the 1MW turbines half a mile away!

fermerboy

830 Profistar.

Looking good, you seem to have a very good site.

Be interesting to hear how you get on.

Good luck

FB

830profistar

Well, busy day today, bases going in and started the neighbours silage.

JEEZO theyre fussy about the concrete, first two loads were too dry, (fair enough) but they refused to even have an opinion on adding water to it incase they were held responsible if it failed! aparently had a slump of 40 and should have been 100. anyway, after some phonecalls to the guy in the yard they were consistent 90's.

even the guys on the wagons said they had never heard such a fuss before, and theyve been involved with dozens of BIG turbines, factorys, and piers supporting thousands of tons!
    Load of nonsense some of it.

anyway everyone went home happy i think, and hopeful that the tests will be passed. Bases look good, will get pics up sometime at the weekend.

kennyo

The install team were two days late to come to errect our turbine as they had had a base failure on the job before. Their is a huge pressure on the concrete when they start the lift hence why everyone is getting paranoid.

'Normal' large turbines are craned up so the base is more like a standard foundation- just a lump of weight to hold it down.

alexsmb

Hi 830profistar,

Good luck with the install. Hopefully it'll all go smoothly. It will be interesting to see how your machines perform. My 3 x 15s are on a good windy site and have been doing well when they've been working. You may get a month of so of teething trouble while they get set up properly but, hopefully, the FET board problem has been resolved so it shouldn't take long.

Have you looked at the C&F customers group that I have set up (http://groupspaces.com/CFCustomers)? On it there is a spreadsheet that you can enter your monthly figures in so that we can see how different machines and sites compare.

830profistar

Quote Originally Posted by alexsmb View Post
    Hi 830profistar,

Good luck with the install. Hopefully it'll all go smoothly. It will be interesting to see how your machines perform. My 3 x 15s are on a good windy site and have been doing well when they've been working. You may get a month of so of teething trouble while they get set up properly but, hopefully, the FET board problem has been resolved so it shouldn't take long.

Have you looked at the C&F customers group that I have set up (http://groupspaces.com/CFCustomers)? On it there is a spreadsheet that you can enter your monthly figures in so that we can see how different machines and sites compare.

Yeah expect some trouble, but hopefully they will go well, good exposed location with wind from all directions. the big ones a bit higher up half a mile away seem to do well.
    I assume you will probably have similar weather to us?

830profistar

Well, been busy recently, but the bases went in 3 weeks ago now, cable is on the way, so thats the next project.

Had an ideal day for the bases, and ground was quite dry, a couple good drivers on the trucks and only had to do a littl moving with the manitou, first load at 8.30, last load at 12.30, with a bit of stoppages and moaning about concrete, so it went in quite fast.

Turbine 2 is in the distance and no 1 was just to the right of where i took the photo.

will go get some photos of the set bases, and more when we lay the cables.

830profistar

Towers are in Scotland so going to be here in the morning.

Also that's 5 weeks since the bases went in, and havn't heard anything from the concrete people, should we be worried or is it a case of no news is good news?

recycled

Quote Originally Posted by 830profistar View Post

Also that's 5 weeks since the bases went in, and havn't heard anything from the concrete people, should we be worried or is it a case of no news is good news?
    dont they make windmills at the bottom of your field anyway at machrihanish

830profistar

Quote Originally Posted by recycled View Post
    dont they make windmills at the bottom of your field anyway at machrihanish
    Pretty much, lol, bit bigger than what we are putting up. the ones a mile up the road were made there tho, keeping it local!

kennyo

Apparently you only hear if there is a problem with the concrete. C & F will have the results by now I would think.

scoobyscotlad

I would guess we met your towers on the road at Maybole around 7pm last night.
    C & F lorry heading up the road with towers on.

830profistar

Quote Originally Posted by scoobyscotlad View Post
    I would guess we met your towers on the road at Maybole around 7pm last night.
    C & F lorry heading up the road with towers on.

Good chance it probably was scooby, he stopped in glasgow overnight and was here at 10 this morning, had a total of 5 on! our two 15s, a 15 for Dumfries, a 15 for Cumbria and a 20 for Burnley. then he was heading to pontefract for a return load of steel plate.

our two in the shed. (the top pieces are inside the middle sections)

830profistar

Well.... Things are moving VERY fast this week, the rest of the turbine bits arrived early on sunday, so that was fine.

Yesterday, Phonecall to say the electrician is coming on wednesday, whether we are ready or not... He arrived tonight.

then today, Phonecall today to say the turbines are going up on Thursday!!

a bit more warning would have been handy, until 8pm tonight we didnt have any cables run! so we have the biggest cable in now, other 3 tommorrow,, really not looking forward to it!

Loads of cable tray still to go up, and some concrete to dig, so we are praying we left enough slack!

Anyway, whats all this about we must have a 4t industrial handler on site or they wont put it up? What a load of nonsense, or farm handler will do 2.8t and is more than capable of lifting the bits. JEEZO theyre picky! lets hope we can get one for thursday or a 13t digger!

Will try and get a couple photos tomorrow.

830profistar

Well.... another manic day!

we were unaware we needed our own electrician to supply a power supply and circuit breakers. which aint gonna be here till tomorrow morning, c7f man is understandable unhappy.
    Hes got pretty much everything done that he can without turbines and a power supply, but he says that if the turbines were up and he had power they would be producing 10 mins later!!

so we got all the cables in today, a lot of tidying up to do yet, but that can be done later.

WARNING!!!! do not be a cheapskate and us the perforated drainage pipe in the base of your tower it will make your life hell if the cable gets stuck.
    luckily, two carrier bags, a tennis ball, ducktape, and baler twine later we got it pulled through!

Got 15ton digger coming first thing, and the erectors are expected mid morning, so hopefully if the electrician is able to stay we will have two turbines online producing power by this time tomorrow.

cozzie

we were unaware we needed our own electrician to supply a power supply and circuit breakers. which aint gonna be here till tomorrow morning, c7f man is understandable unhappy.
    Hes got pretty much everything done that he can without turbines and a power supply, but he says that if the turbines were up and he had power they would be producing 10 mins later!!

so we got all the cables in today, a lot of tidying up to do yet, but that can be done later.

WARNING!!!! do not be a cheapskate and us the perforated drainage pipe in the base of your tower it will make your life hell if the cable gets stuck.
    luckily, two carrier bags, a tennis ball, ducktape, and baler twine later we got it pulled through!

Got 15ton digger coming first thing, and the erectors are expected mid morning, so hopefully if the electrician is able to stay we will have two turbines online producing power by this time tomorrow.
    sounds exciting. those C&F guys sound efficient. Know a couple of lads that work in the factory this side of the pond and they say is manic manic everyday but in a good way

830profistar

Quote Originally Posted by cozzie View Post
    sounds exciting. those C&F guys sound efficient. Know a couple of lads that work in the factory this side of the pond and they say is manic manic everyday but in a good way
    Certainly is, thats what the electrician said too, he works about the factory when hes not needed on site.
    A couple days more warning would have been better, but hey it will all be fine.

scots_knight

I got told the following in December, my sparky did well phoned him Friday afternoon when I got called and he had it all done before the turbine was up on the Monday.

"Please can you supply a 63Amp 3 phase mains circuit breaker, enough 16mm 5 core cable to go from the connection point to the inverters, and get your electrician to fit this to give C&F a point of connection."

A solid 100mm conduit with a slow radius 90 degree bend was what you wanted, I got a 70mm cable through no bother.

Good luck

830profistar

Quote Originally Posted by scots_knight View Post
    I got told the following in December, my sparky did well phoned him Friday afternoon when I got called and he had it all done before the turbine was up on the Monday.

"Please can you supply a 63Amp 3 phase mains circuit breaker, enough 16mm 5 core cable to go from the connection point to the inverters, and get your electrician to fit this to give C&F a point of connection."

A solid 100mm conduit with a slow radius 90 degree bend was what you wanted, I got a 70mm cable through no bother.

Good luck
    as far as i know nobody told us that, and our nearest major electric place is 90 miles away. but not to worry, its all sorted now.

As of 7pm tonight thats both our turbines online and producing electricity to the grid!
    turbine two went on at 4pm, but no1 had trouble connecting to the network, so a bit of fiddling with software and a brain transplant later all is well.

Only problem is theres practically no wind! they were only doing .5kw at 4pm, so only just enough to generate. when i left at 8 tonight they were doing 3.2 and 3.5kw, so getting a bit better.

Some photos and maybe even a wee video will be along shortly!

830profistar

Video upload was unsuccessful, so heres some photos.

Lifting the first piece of turbine two into position.

BadLamber

as far as i know nobody told us that, and our nearest major electric place is 90 miles away. but not to worry, its all sorted now.

As of 7pm tonight thats both our turbines online and producing electricity to the grid!
    turbine two went on at 4pm, but no1 had trouble connecting to the network, so a bit of fiddling with software and a brain transplant later all is well.

Only problem is theres practically no wind! they were only doing .5kw at 4pm, so only just enough to generate. when i left at 8 tonight they were doing 3.2 and 3.5kw, so getting a bit better.

Some photos and maybe even a wee video will be along shortly!
    Nobody told me at the time either, but like you say everyhing comes ok eventually, just a bit of pressure at the time. Is that new type invertors now, they are different from mine? Good luck with your project.

scots_knight

Looking good there

I just posted what I was told by Mint, I think the early turbines were all done by C&F including the wiring back to the meters.

As you had yours done I really posted for the benefit of new customer.

Conduit just came from my local builder who I had hired in to help when the base was done to shift concrete if needed. (Plan B if the lorry couldn't make it to the base)

Bet you were surprised how quick they put them up, the way they can sling the turbine head is a great idea

Raider 112

Hope they go well for you. Our 15 has only been up a couple of months and not had too many windy days yet, todays a good one but it cuts out too often for my liking. It sets off again more or less right away, unlike at the start when it could be off an hour or two but still annoying I hope this is just the teething problems people talk about and not a long term thing, the brochure says no cut off point and a turbine that stops when the wind blows is not ideal.

830profistar

Well, got the sand in on the cables on friday, and the digger man came back and filled in the trench yesterday, so the cows are in giving them a good trial tonight, great scratching post they say!

Been a nice breeze day today, and have done 100kwh each since 9pm this morning. thursday night and friday they did practically nothing and were floating between 0 - 1kw. yesterday was around 5-6 and today have seen them reaching 18.5kw!!

BUT one of the inverters isnt right. it keeps cutting in and out and when it cuts out it reads "Error code: Volt limit Net" Anyone know what that means? it then does a 180second countdown before it comes back online.

Also, how important is ventilation in the room where the inverters and transformers are? have noticed its quite warm in there today and theres usually at least one of the inverters fans going.

830profistar

Ok, so start of august, so thought i would get the records going.

since Thursday 19th, read at mid day today.

Turbine 1 - 1346 kwh
    Turbine 2 - 1175 kwh

Turbine two is behind as one of the inverters s still tripping out, sse are coming to see if there is anything they can do about the high grid voltage. they blame it on the big turbines nearby overproducing when its windy, and the power grid not being able to handle it.

Not too bad having been up for only 13 days, and the first 4-5 day of their life was flat calm.

Raider 112

Never got round to thinking about it yet, but our turbine is not insured. Tended to think the guarantee would cover any problems but thunder today got me thinking about lightning strikes, and I cannot see that it would be covered for that. What are you all doing about insurance, and what does it cost for a 15 kw turbine?

BadLamber

My 20kw c@f is costing 540/yr with the NFU. Think there is better prices out there though.