Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Bad start to lambing 2018

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    England
    Posts
    114

    Bad start to lambing 2018

    hello everyone,
    don't no if people are having a similar time to me ATM but christ I am having a rough start to lambing, Not due to start until the 2nd march and already had 7 shearlings lamb with only 4 live lambs so far. The others have all arrived dead 3 watery bellies and the rest just look premature which they are being 2/3 weeks early. is anyone else having a similar problem at the moment because I dread every time one starts lambing and still got 200 due to lamb just hope its a bad start and not a bad year

  2. #2
    Senior Member 4wd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North York Moors
    Posts
    1,294

    Re: Bad start to lambing 2018

    Don't start till April here, but it's often the case the first few have a range of problems.
    Not heard any particularly worrying news from neighbours starting a few inside about now.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    England
    Posts
    114

    Re: Bad start to lambing 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    Don't start till April here, but it's often the case the first few have a range of problems.
    Not heard any particularly worrying news from neighbours starting a few inside about now.
    yeh was hoping its just a normal year, just worrying abit with these few being born dead, would you suggest culling the ewes which have lost lambs ?

  4. #4
    Senior Member 4wd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North York Moors
    Posts
    1,294

    Re: Bad start to lambing 2018

    Some would do, we only have a few so not really sheep experts.
    If you did have some new issue going round they will likely all have been exposed and might have some immunity next year.
    In that case selling those and buying more in might be inadvisable.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    England
    Posts
    114

    Re: Bad start to lambing 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    Some would do, we only have a few so not really sheep experts.
    If you did have some new issue going round they will likely all have been exposed and might have some immunity next year.
    In that case selling those and buying more in might be inadvisable.
    fair enough, much appreciate the help, yeh very true might just hold on for now and see what march brings when there actually due. fingers crossed

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    857

    Re: Bad start to lambing 2018

    Reminds me of something we went through with the cows a few years ago when we had a couple of very bad calvings, including water-belly calves.
    Turned out to be liver damage from fluke. Our normal strategy at that time was Trodax 6 weeks after housing, which was giving a complete kill of fluke. However the fluke burden prior to that was so high their livers weren't able to recover enough over the winter. We now fluke them twice, once in late Sept and again 6 weeks after housing. This seems to have cured the problem.
    This may not be your problem but it's an avenue I'd be exploring, based on past experience. It might be worth culling a couple of the ewes if you can get the livers back for the vet to examine.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    382

    Re: Bad start to lambing 2018

    I would also get a fresh dead lamb and membranes to the vet so checks for disease can be done. It may be too late to prevent any this year but it may be something that could be vaccinated against in future years. I would keep the aborted ewes seperate from the others to prevent cross infection. Once you know what you are dealing with you can decide if keeping the ewes for further breeding is worth it.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    England
    Posts
    114

    Re: Bad start to lambing 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by MC130 View Post
    Reminds me of something we went through with the cows a few years ago when we had a couple of very bad calvings, including water-belly calves.
    Turned out to be liver damage from fluke. Our normal strategy at that time was Trodax 6 weeks after housing, which was giving a complete kill of fluke. However the fluke burden prior to that was so high their livers weren't able to recover enough over the winter. We now fluke them twice, once in late Sept and again 6 weeks after housing. This seems to have cured the problem.
    This may not be your problem but it's an avenue I'd be exploring, based on past experience. It might be worth culling a couple of the ewes if you can get the livers back for the vet to examine.
    yes that could be a possibility tbh we have never had fluke on the farm before until this year which when have treated them for but maybe its a little too late for these few ewes, thank you very much for the feedback

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    England
    Posts
    114

    Re: Bad start to lambing 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    I would also get a fresh dead lamb and membranes to the vet so checks for disease can be done. It may be too late to prevent any this year but it may be something that could be vaccinated against in future years. I would keep the aborted ewes seperate from the others to prevent cross infection. Once you know what you are dealing with you can decide if keeping the ewes for further breeding is worth it.
    think that will be another line we will have to go down if the problems carry on into march, I have put the ewes separate like you say and see what comes back, many thanks for the reply

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    431

    Re: Bad start to lambing 2018

    Don't know if it's anything to go by, but this year pet lambs are being snapped up like crazy whereas foster ewes are more than plentiful,
    which tends to indicate that there are considerably more lamb problems than ewe problems.

    Don't know if that's specific to Northern Ireland or elsewhere also but lamb mortality seems to be above average.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    England
    Posts
    114

    Re: Bad start to lambing 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by wrsni View Post
    Don't know if it's anything to go by, but this year pet lambs are being snapped up like crazy whereas foster ewes are more than plentiful,
    which tends to indicate that there are considerably more lamb problems than ewe problems.

    Don't know if that's specific to Northern Ireland or elsewhere also but lamb mortality seems to be above average.
    never thought of it like that to be honest but now you mention it cade lambs seem to be making good money this year so could be a possibility

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •