Thread: 12 volt sheep clipper

valtraman

12 volt sheep clipper

just bought a 12volt heineger sheep clipper,for dagging sheep,not used it yet but wondering whats best,to get a small car battery to carry about where we go,havent got a charger to charge it though,would need to buy a charger,or run it of quad? have tried it on quad battery and runs fine,would quad need to be running when in use to keep battery charged up as dont thin quad battery will be that powerfull?

Poorbuthappy

Re: 12 volt sheep clipper

How many you intending to dag in 1 go? Odd ones with maggots or whole bunches?
    Sheared off a few ewes with maggots last year with mine when shearers were struggling to get here. Ran it off the bike but running. Docking the odd one would be fine but think it would soon start to slow a bit if you were doing a bunch without bike running - mine certainly did.
    A well charged leisure battery seems to last quite well.

JamesC

Got fed up of lugging a battery about and recharging it so now make sure we can pull truck or tractor close to action and run off that, use jump leads some times to get extra distance. Tractor loader or teleporter boom makes a useful machine hanger in remote spots besides supplying the power.

valtraman

will only be dagging really dirty ones not everything,thinking of just sheddin dirty ones into pens,start bike then dag them,bit of a faff taking battery everywhere,only one place where tractor is not viable.

JamesC

You will love your 12 volt so much that soon you'll be doing all your shearing with it, we bought ours for burling only but it's so quiet and handy to use that the mains machines only get used when the pressure is on.

valtraman

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    You will love your 12 volt so much that soon you'll be doing all your shearing with it, we bought ours for burling only but it's so quiet and handy to use that the mains machines only get used when the pressure is on.
    very doubtfulllooks a good machine though

JamesC

Quote Originally Posted by valtraman View Post
    very doubtfulllooks a good machine though

We'll see ours not Heiniger, but the other one , (Longhorn) loads around here even contract shearers use them , mind theres 3 power versions but they are soooo handy.

Nithsdale farmer

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    We'll see ours not Heiniger, but the other one , (Longhorn) loads around here even contract shearers use them , mind theres 3 power versions but they are soooo handy.

Got one of them too, ours is a 3.2 - the man is so easy to work with, great service!
    Iv done full days shearing with it, and use it to do tails in late summer. But i always find myself going back to the mains machines for full belly clipping fat lambs and if im shearing big numbers, not sure why though.

But i do agree they are great machines.

romneymarsh

Run my lister 12v from quad . Dagging lambs or shearing odd struck ewe early on but would never use it for a full day! Serious work gets the mains unit or a 12v with a flexi depending on where I am.

My 12v is getting on a bit now , I have rebuilt it several times. Time for a replacement maybe?

valtraman

Quote Originally Posted by romneymarsh View Post
    Run my lister 12v from quad . Dagging lambs or shearing odd struck ewe early on but would never use it for a full day! Serious work gets the mains unit or a 12v with a flexi depending on where I am.

My 12v is getting on a bit now , I have rebuilt it several times. Time for a replacement maybe?
    do u have the quad running when using it?

RGSP

Quote Originally Posted by romneymarsh View Post

I have what is probably the same model, and agree. I have fully sheared up to about 6 sheep with it at one go, but its cutting rate is nothing like as fast as Longhorns. It will run for at least a couple of hours from an ordinary car battery without a charger or engine running, but the extra couple of volts from connecting a charger while using it, make quite a difference to its speed of cutting and hence ease of use. I wish I'd realised that years ago.

4wd

With the quad you could start with the pull cord if it gets low.
    With the Horner, I have run a tractor battery too low to start the engine once but luckily it was in a spot where it could hill start.

sodbuster10-4

I fitted a jack-plug to mine to save faffing around wi the battery to often. Always use it with the bike running cos been caught out in the past. Really handy tool to have

romneymarsh

Quote Originally Posted by sodbuster10-4 View Post
    I fitted a jack-plug to mine to save faffing around wi the battery to often. Always use it with the bike running cos been caught out in the past. Really handy tool to have
    I have fitted all sorts of plug/socket with all of them falling to bits at various stages. Have now used the orange plug and socket from B&Q intended for garden 240v kit. Much more substantial!