Thread: Massey 4225 battery access

swagger

Massey 4225 battery access

In this cold weather, the battery on my Massey 4225 often struggles to spin a cold engine (even though the battery isn't that old). Connecting a boost starter directly to the battery terminals is a PITA, particularly having to remove and replace the battery cover - and the cables for the loader get right in the way too.

The starter solenoid appears to have a cover over the terminals - would removing that expose a live terminal to which I could connect the positive cable from the booster ?

Re: Massey 4225 battery access

Quote Originally Posted by swagger View Post
    In this cold weather, the battery on my Massey 4225 often struggles to spin a cold engine (even though the battery isn't that old). Connecting a boost starter directly to the battery terminals is a PITA, particularly having to remove and replace the battery cover - and the cables for the loader get right in the way too.

The starter solenoid appears to have a cover over the terminals - would removing that expose a live terminal to which I could connect the positive cable from the booster ?
    Would of thought so. Usually the cover is there just to protect unintentional shorts and also to stop someone flashing the start solenoid wire. If you remove the cover there will the heavy cable from the battery positive coming to the starter terminal, carefully clip onto that making sure the clip doesn't short out on anything.
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

It might be worthwhile considering fitting a high speed starter if you haven't already got one. The geared ones spin the perkins far quicker than the standard fare.I splashed on three altogether,one for a jcb 526 ,one for a matbro tr200 and one for a hymac 1501 All the same 4 cylinder turbo perkins .Money well spent these cold days to avoid the jump lead faffing thing. Just turn the key in the morning.

back in my auto racing days, we would fit the car with a remote positive (insulated) positive terminal so we could easily connect a second battery to the car for starting (before the race) - a grounding spot was never hard to find.

What a shame Agri did not take the 24 volt route..

swagger

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    What a shame Agri did not take the 24 volt route..
    Maybe, but I suspect that a bigger battery would be even harder to access.

Meant agriculture in general....

Maybe, but I suspect that a bigger battery would be even harder to access.
    Two standard 12 volts in series?

My 4225 has no loader, but the battery swings out from under the right hand door. Does yours not do that?

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

swagger

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    Two standard 12 volts in series?

My 4225 has no loader, but the battery swings out from under the right hand door. Does yours not do that?

JV
    Certainly couldn't fit two traditional wet 12v batteries on the platform. Could possibly go for dry batteries.
    Yes it does swing out, but does yours not have a tool box preventing it swinging out fully ? (I know I could remove the tool box while accessing the battery, but that would be more faff and nuts/bolts dropped). The loader cables just get in the way of getting the battery cover off and replacing it.

Certainly couldn't fit two traditional wet 12v batteries on the platform. Could possibly go for dry batteries.
    Yes it does swing out, but does yours not have a tool box preventing it swinging out fully ? (I know I could remove the tool box while accessing the battery, but that would be more faff and nuts/bolts dropped). The loader cables just get in the way of getting the battery cover off and replacing it.
    Ah, comparing apples & pears here!

My (second hand) tractor did not have a tool box, so I made one which bolts to the the floor plate outside the glass, thus above the battery when it swings out. I mentioned two batteries simply as an explanation of how to get the 24v opined by Gee. No battery cover on mine either.

As I understand it, a 24v starting circuit requires some jiggery pockery to allow other electric circuits to operate on 12v.

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper