Thread: The Beast From The East.

The Beast From The East.

How has everyone fared?

We had a lamb with a broken shoulder (hard ground or coincidence, who knows... )

At one farm we got one trough working and decided it was easier to bring the other cattle to it, turn about, than try and thaw the rest of the troughs.
    Had to go and collect feed on Wed morning and just got back by the skin of my teeth. The road was like a war zone

At the other farm most of the cattle survived on snow shoveled on top of the silage with the loader bucket, which seemed to be quite effective. The queue for the troughs, when the water came on, was much more orderly than I expected.
    We're still having to bring the silage up from the pit with the grab and fill the forage wagon in the yard.

Oh, and I'm nursing bruised ribs after slipping on the ice

Re: The Beast From The East.

Cows and calves outside have been watered since Wednesday with a hose from an outside tap, the only one I could get running. Only about half of them come for a drink so presume the others are quite happy eating snow?

Had to run hose to shed to water 6 troughs inside there. Thankfully all are now running as of this afternoon, as it's one degree not so cold now and it's not so windy.

Good job as I am running out of paracetamol and anti-inflammatories.

Fortunately most of the sheep have a huge water trough, a leftover from our dairy days. We kept breaking a hole at one end for them to use. The level was getting so that we would need to fill them up by hand when things thawed enough yesterday to get them running. Those which have just lambed are housed and we had to use the hose from a tap in the kitchen as the outside taps were all frozen. We had to defrost the hosepipe first even though everyone swore they had drained it before storing it away inside the grain store.

The bucket lambs seemed to have survived drinking ice cream. We did top up the bucket with warm milk when checking the for lambers though.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    We had to defrost the hosepipe first even though everyone swore they had drained it before storing it away inside the grain store.
    Giving it a blow out with the compressor (if you've got one) can be more effective

Quote Originally Posted by MC130 View Post
    Giving it a blow out with the compressor (if you've got one) can be more effective
    Hindsight.