Thread: Clarke 270 litre twin pump air compressor 230v

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Clarke 270 litre twin pump air compressor 230v

Anybody know anything about these ?
    Thinking of buying a 2 year old one for farm workshop,
    Our old one I think Noah had before us so could do with some info on this make if possible.
    Thanks

Re: Clarke 270 litre twin pump air compressor 230v

Quote Originally Posted by Wellie64 View Post
    Anybody know anything about these ?
    Thinking of buying a 2 year old one for farm workshop,
    Our old one I think Noah had before us so could do with some info on this make if possible.
    Thanks
    Clarke's an old player in the compressor game. They are not a RangeRover but more of a Hi-lux perhaps? I assume they still assemble the larger industrial sizes in North London, spares are not a problem, you can deal direct or thru an agent for parts, they have most operators & parts books on-line.

As its not new, get a price for a new one first, then before you buy I'd want to remove the drain tap and see what comes out followed by removing one or both of the inspection bungs, if the owner isn't happy and can't/won't provide an inspection certificate for it then forget it. If you do get to look inside, see if theres a hightide mark using a small led torch, look at the bottom to see if there is any bad rusting already, at 2 yrs it shouldn't be too bad but there will be some. There shouldn't be any oil in there.

Refit the bungs and drain tap, start it up and see if it builds up reasonably quickly, a steady pressure rise slowing slightly as the pressure rises will be expected. listen to the compressor pump, belts and motor, see it shuts down at or near the working pressure, let off air to see it starts up again. Look around it for damage.

Then compare the price with your quote for a new one.............

We see a lot of Clarke stuff at the Reading plant sales from the like of Speedy tool hire and others who have used them for years and often chuck them in sales when damaged as they prefer a new one to hire out than spend loads of money in labour fixing them.
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Re: Clarke 270 litre twin pump air compressor 230v

Presume you are up to date on the current safety laws regarding compressors.
    Annual inspections by relevantly qualified inspector etc.
    One route we have considered is buy a new one every couple of years and shift the other one on at a local machinery dispersal sale.