Thread: 1255xl

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

1255xl

My 1255xl won't select 5th or 6th gear, it happened after the recent big freeze also there seems to be more of a whine from transmission, any advice please

Re: 1255xl

What's happening ? Can you shift the gear lever across to where 5th & 6th are ? If you can does the lever move into 5th or 6th, IE back & forward but nothing happens ?

Hi, thanks for reply, I can fully engage gear in 1,2,3,4 and can move the gear lever over to line up for 5 and 6 but will not actually move fully into place to select the gear in either

Ok, well you'll be extremely lucky to find anyone who has had one of these machines apart, they are that reliable.
    I worked in IH dealer right through the 1255 era & beyond & never had one apart !
    However, you may only have a problem with the selector mechanism in the gearbox top cover.
    I would start by trying to get I to that area, if remember correctly the gear levers go straight down into the top cover & align with rods which in turn operate the gearbox selectors.
    There may be something jamming one of these rods, a roll pin come halfway out similar.
    You may wind up lifting the cab off to get the gearbox top cover off to see what's going on,sorry I can't be any clearer.

Thanks for your reply, for anyone owning a older tractor like this being able to get info from someone like yourself with a vast knowledge of them is so important to keep older tractor running well

I must also ask I share some implement such as trailers and slurry tanker between my 1255xl and mxu tractor which have different rear end oil, should I be concerned about this or is it too little to matter?