Thread: Smarter Farming

Smarter Farming

If you had a tablet that could show you any piece of information about your farm, what would it be?

Re: Smarter Farming

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett95 View Post
    If you had a tablet that could show you any piece of information about your farm, what would it be?
    The amount of pasture available for grazing now. The amount likely to be available in 3 months would be nice, but I reckon tht might be stretching the tablet's capabilities just a tad!

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett95 View Post
    A complete forecast of the weather for the next 28 days.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    A complete forecast of the weather for the next 28 days.
    Nah! Complete waste of the tablet's time. We know what the weather will be like for the next 28 days: sometimes it will be wet; sometimes it will be fine; sometimes it will be warm - and sometimes it will be cold.

JV

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    Nah! Complete waste of the tablet's time. We know what the weather will be like for the next 28 days: sometimes it will be wet; sometimes it will be fine; sometimes it will be warm - and sometimes it will be cold.

JV
    It would be better than the piece of string that I've got at the moment. I touch it every morning and if it's wet I know it has been raining. If it's moving from side to side I know that it's windy.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    It would be better than the piece of string that I've got at the moment. I touch it every morning and if it's wet I know it has been raining. If it's moving from side to side I know that it's windy.
    Wot? Only two indicators on your piece pf string? If mine is rigid, I know it's frosty, and if it's furry I know it's snowing! Mind, I never gets called upon to display it's fourth state - well, almost never.

Wot? Only two indicators on your piece pf string? If mine is rigid, I know it's frosty, and if it's furry I know it's snowing! Mind, I never gets called upon to display it's fourth state - well, almost never.
    I never go out and touch/look at mine if it's frosty or snowing. I find it ironic that I always have urgent office work to do on those days ! Maybe mine shows that sort of weather as well. Dunno.

Suppose you could always rig up a webcam to relay an up to date picture of said piece of string to your tablet.
    Thus before your head leaves the pillow you will be ahead of the game.

My self???
    Probably an app that will remind me what day of the week it is.
    Wouldnt mind betting a fair few reading this will have to have a think about it.
    Standing joke in this house.....if ever either of us finds ourselves on our way to Hospital for emergency stuff, then the other should quietly write a crib sheet on the others hand....day of the week, the date, name of the prime minister etc etc.....all of those “do we save you or are you past being worth the effort” questions.

My apologies to the OP for taking the thread off on a (ahem) smart-arse tangent.

It was a good question, worthy of serious consideration, so I'll stay with my first request; having that info would make my life much easier.

JV

My apologies to the OP for taking the thread off on a (ahem) smart-arse tangent.JV
    My suggestion epitomised the most important thing to me throughout my farming and contracting life although I admit to being frivolous about it in this topic. I always tell those who will listen to me that the weather has been my worst enemy - by far - in farming. I can get over bad paying customers, breakdowns in machinery, idiot drivers, even grief from she who must be obeyed.

But I can't do sod all about the weather, never have been able to. But if I knew what was in store for me weather-wise I could plan accordingly.