Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 37 of 37

Thread: fairness !!

  1. #31
    Penmoel
    Guest

    Re: fairness !!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    They could easily swallow their whole budget on translation services at a parish level. Which is presumably why they don't do it as a rule and only do it informally otherwise.

    Time to cut down on the cost of government.
    Sorry you are wrong. If you want a bilingual policy in Wales then fine but it must work both ways, nothing annoys me more than seeing everything from WAG and even Ceredigion being duplicated in two languages at ridiculous expense. However we have what we have, you cannot simply change the rule even at PCC level and operate to discriminate against those of us who are not fluent in Welsh.

    You want a bilingual language policy -pay for it!

  2. #32
    applesquasher
    Guest

    Re: fairness !!

    I get the impression that the Welsh speakers do not want a bilingual language policy at all.

  3. #33
    Cowabunga
    Guest

    Re: fairness !!

    Quote Originally Posted by Penmoel View Post
    Sorry you are wrong. If you want a bilingual policy in Wales then fine but it must work both ways, nothing annoys me more than seeing everything from WAG and even Ceredigion being duplicated in two languages at ridiculous expense. However we have what we have, you cannot simply change the rule even at PCC level and operate to discriminate against those of us who are not fluent in Welsh.

    You want a bilingual language policy -pay for it!
    I don't want a bilingual policy any more than the English do in England. Damned sure that Henley on Thames wouldn't pay for a Welsh translator for my convenience at a parish council meeting and I would not expect them to.

    However, when absolutely necessary and prudent, I am willing to put up with translation and bi-lingual meetings and it is certainly good manners to try and ensure that interested parties are fully in the loop. But the cost should be minimised and the service as informal as is practical and at sensible people's discretion. Which it mostly is, to most people's satisfaction.

  4. #34
    Forage Trader
    Guest

    Re: fairness !!

    My Kids all speak Welsh which makes me very proud I understand a little but don't speak Welsh I am ashamed to say although I try to be very supportive of the Welsh culture, we are so lucky to live in such a lovely country, I chose to send them to a Welsh school as that's what I wanted as I think is very important to keep the culture of a country strong and intact

  5. #35
    linga
    Guest

    Re: fairness !!

    I think it would simply be common courtesy to at least provide an informal translation and that was all I would need...however, much is made of the benefits of bilingualism and we are supposed to have equal status for the two languages and that equality should be seen to be working.
    Penmoel is right that if you want bilingualism it has to be paid for and it also has to work both ways. Cowabunga is also right that the cost should be minimised and I was happy to help do that by my son translating for me but that was stopped by the chairman.
    I well understand that some would like a Welsh only policy but that seems a little insular really. The rest of the world are actively encouraging their children to speak English( and they can often speak it better than the English) but here in Wales there seems to be an active discouragement...of course its for historical reasons,but it just happens that English, even if it is American English is the business language of the world..are we putting our children at a disadvantage I wonder.

  6. #36
    Penmoel
    Guest

    Re: fairness !!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    I don't want a bilingual policy any more than the English do in England. Damned sure that Henley on Thames wouldn't pay for a Welsh translator for my convenience at a parish council meeting and I would not expect them to.

    However, when absolutely necessary and prudent, I am willing to put up with translation and bi-lingual meetings and it is certainly good manners to try and ensure that interested parties are fully in the loop. But the cost should be minimised and the service as informal as is practical and at sensible people's discretion. Which it mostly is, to most people's satisfaction.
    Henley on Thames is a ridiculous point to make. In Wales, Welsh and English have equal status thanks to the Welsh language Act, which obviously does not apply in England.

    Common courtesy should have prevailed in Linga's parish council meeting, failing that an interpretation should have been provided. I have never been to our local parish council meetings , however I have no doubt that they are carried out exclusivley in Welsh, I would hope however they would have both the common courtesy and sense to handle the matter sensibly. I would agree that PCC's are only a talking shop whose importance is negligble.

    Was it last year that Lampeter town council decided to continue to conduct their business in English in order to save the cost of simoultaneous translation, common sense prevailed. Untill that is someone decides that they want their veiws expressed in Welsh, which is their right.

    Quote Originally Posted by Forage Trader View Post
    My Kids all speak Welsh which makes me very proud I understand a little but don't speak Welsh I am ashamed to say although I try to be very supportive of the Welsh culture, we are so lucky to live in such a lovely country, I chose to send them to a Welsh school as that's what I wanted as I think is very important to keep the culture of a country strong and intact
    My kids are all fluent Welsh speakers, as is my wife, I can get by in Welsh and follow most conversations. You are the same as me Derrick and we are both like a sheep dog in that we understand it but cant speak it.


    Quote Originally Posted by linga View Post
    I think it would simply be common courtesy to at least provide an informal translation and that was all I would need...however, much is made of the benefits of bilingualism and we are supposed to have equal status for the two languages and that equality should be seen to be working.
    Penmoel is right that if you want bilingualism it has to be paid for and it also has to work both ways. Cowabunga is also right that the cost should be minimised and I was happy to help do that by my son translating for me but that was stopped by the chairman.
    I well understand that some would like a Welsh only policy but that seems a little insular really. The rest of the world are actively encouraging their children to speak English( and they can often speak it better than the English) but here in Wales there seems to be an active discouragement...of course its for historical reasons,but it just happens that English, even if it is American English is the business language of the world..are we putting our children at a disadvantage I wonder.
    Welsh only is very insular, but there are those who would wish to persue that route. However I am sure we all know of some, usually more elderly Welsh people who genuinely do have difficulty in expressing themselves in English, in fact their English would be no better than my Welsh. I cannot believe that that would be true of the whole PC and their clerk.

  7. #37
    Cowabunga
    Guest

    Re: fairness !!

    We agree that common courtesy should have prevailed, and I did say so in my previous post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •