Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 82

Thread: Cereals and Direct Drilling

  1. #1
    fred
    Guest

    Cereals and Direct Drilling

    Did you see anything that floated your boat.

  2. #2
    Clive
    Guest

    Re: Cereals and Direct Drilling

    nothing !

  3. #3
    Clive
    Guest

    Re: Cereals and Direct Drilling

    Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    nothing !

    Will add to that that Varderstad had their "strip till" mock up there showing the direction they are moving in but it was rubbish frankly, misses the mark totally

    nothing else that I haven't seen before really

  4. #4
    fred
    Guest

    Re: Cereals and Direct Drilling

    claydon, sumo versa drill, plus, aitchison t sem,Dale drill, Mzuri,Weaving,simba Spartan,
    as you say vaderstad strip till,

    No Horsch innovations,

  5. #5
    Andrew Kerr
    Guest

    Re: Cereals and Direct Drilling

    Thought the working plots worth a look, Sumo and Mzuri were going ok but lack of others TBH.

  6. #6
    Tomsewell
    Guest

    Re: Cereals and Direct Drilling

    I couldn't see a JD 750a anywhere or was I missing something? IMO the Claydon stand was by far the busiest of any I visited. Tried 3 times but all tied up talking to customers/potential customers, so looking good for them if interest turns into orders!

  7. #7
    Clive
    Guest

    Re: Cereals and Direct Drilling

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsewell View Post
    I couldn't see a JD 750a anywhere or was I missing something? IMO the Claydon stand was by far the busiest of any I visited. Tried 3 times but all tied up talking to customers/potential customers, so looking good for them if interest turns into orders!
    JD don't really seem to have any interest in selling the 750a - try buying one and the dealer will have to go blow the dust of the filing cupboard to find his price list and brochure once you have reminded him that JD do in fact make a drill !

  8. #8
    Johndeere
    Guest

    Re: Cereals and Direct Drilling

    Martin had lots of interest at mzuri and order book is full for 12 months. Nice to see they put their money up and showed us a demo plot! Roll on my demo!

  9. #9
    Shutesy
    Guest

    Re: Cereals and Direct Drilling

    Was nice to see some drills working (I know it wasnt exactly the toughest of land) for a change not just ploughs and cultivators. Few more would have been good though, but as has been said nothing revolutionary.

  10. #10
    BSH
    Guest

    Re: Cereals and Direct Drilling

    Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    claydon, sumo versa drill, plus, aitchison t sem,Dale drill, Mzuri,Weaving,simba Spartan,
    as you say vaderstad strip till,

    No Horsch innovations,
    This must be a significant move from years past? I have only been to cereals once before but I was impressed that there was effectively a Direct Drill Alley with the makes above represented. Perhaps it signals an interest level in DD that perhaps is below the radar?

  11. #11
    Yorkie
    Guest

    Re: Cereals and Direct Drilling

    Was good to see the 'new' sumo unidrill, back to the past with a more simple machine not a everything machine! Although any better than a 750a with guttlers? for alot more

  12. #12
    charlie brown
    Guest

    Re: Cereals and Direct Drilling

    Like the new tips for the T Sem, and their "new" pneumatic drill will please those that want all the gadgets on their drill, and it has a bigger hopper.

    But my main area of interest was the "mini" subsoilers and low disturbance type legs for drilling OSR.

    Cousins have one and Tillso make one to weld onto a standard subsoiler.

    Also liked the french "Michel" type curved legs that are supposed to be low disturbance.

    Just wondering whether we may need to do a little mini subsoiling for OSR this year. It doesnt seem to have made any difference in the past three years but with all this wet this year................?

    cb

  13. #13
    Andrew Kerr
    Guest

    Re: Cereals and Direct Drilling

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsewell View Post
    I couldn't see a JD 750a anywhere or was I missing something? IMO the Claydon stand was by far the busiest of any I visited. Tried 3 times but all tied up talking to customers/potential customers, so looking good for them if interest turns into orders!
    Tom,

    Believe me, the Mzuri stand was pretty well over run at times, despite the fact they also had a demo drill pulling 30+ customers over to the field every time it fired up!

  14. #14
    Willscale
    Guest

    Re: Cereals and Direct Drilling

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    If PROPER DD took off properly in the UK then the likes of vaderstad, Horsch, Simba, amazone, kv, lemken, sumo would loose out on equipment sales.

    The likes of John Deere, CNH, Agco, Deutz, McCormick would loose out on tractor sales.

    The likes of DuPont, Basf, Monsanto would loose out on chemical sales.

    The likes of Yara, kemira etc would loose out on fertiliser sales.

    The likes of Barclays, HSBC, Lloyds, Natwest would loose out because money lending would be reduced.

    Then the smaller subsidiaries such as soil advice services and fuel suppliers would also be affected.

    So I can't see the likes of Haymarket actively pushing for this in fear of the reprocussions they may be labeled with starting. This is also why getting DD funding is nigh on impossible because there is so much to loose as there are some very big names on the above lists.
    I think thats a bit of an exaggeration on some things. I think chemical sales would still be reasonably good. Certainly tractor hp requirement is less and some fertiliser may be less needed.

    I'm not sure borrowing would be less - farmers may find more ways to borrow for other projects to keep business's growing.

    Struggled to get a third direct drill day off the ground this year though due to lack of trade interest so maybe

  15. #15
    Clive
    Guest

    Re: Cereals and Direct Drilling

    without doubt DD is not in tractor or machinery manufactures interest - less HP and less hours are not going to sell expensive metal

    just look abroad for evidence of that

    Min-till has been a machinery salesmans wet dream - 300hp tractors almost standard issue on many farms now and every drill sold means a cultivators sale to work with it

    what "sheep" many of us have all been !

  16. #16
    Feldspar
    Guest

    Re: Cereals and Direct Drilling

    Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    without doubt DD is not in tractor or machinery manufactures interest - less HP and less hours are not going to sell expensive metal

    just look abroad for evidence of that

    Min-till has been a machinery salesmans wet dream - 300hp tractors almost standard issue on many farms now and every drill sold means a cultivators sale to work with it

    what "sheep" many of us have all been !
    This is indubitably apparent. If we switched from our current plough-based system to a strip-till / no-till mix (even though strip-till still requires a fair amount of hp) it would have a huge negative effect on our local dealer.

    To give some idea, in the next fleet deal 7 tractors could be replaced with 4 (c.1000hp down to 700hp), 13 implements (mainly sourced from dealer) could be replaced with 4 (not sourced from dealer), amount spent on metal and repairs could be vastly cut and tractors could do fewer hours and might be replaced less frequently.

    And if that wasn't bad enough for the dealer, with the new DD kit we could and would farm about 20-30% more land (with a revised crop rotation).

    In short the dealer would be mad to even think of stocking DD machinery unless there was no other option. Best plan is to keep quiet and hope the malaise does not spread and that everyone continues to think of DDers as anomalous eccentrics.

  17. #17
    Clive
    Guest

    Re: Cereals and Direct Drilling

    I was on the Pan Anglia stand yesterday and you could almost smell the excitement as the rep told me many farmers had already been on the stand telling him they anticipated much more subsoiling this year

    A widespread change to DD in the UK would put such companies out of business I reckon ! He told me they sold over 25,000 solo points last year alone !!

  18. #18
    Glenn49801
    Guest

    Re: Cereals and Direct Drilling

    be curious to know where dder's do see an opportunity for middle men in the future?
    spealist agronmist?
    subject matter expert... salesman of various dd equipment?

  19. #19
    texas pete
    Guest

    Re: Cereals and Direct Drilling

    What did people make of the new Cousins 'micro wing' feet for OSR establishment.

    They sure looked small compared to a standard foot, but loads less draught and power requirement.

    Would they do enough for rape establishment?

    And is six inches enough (steady) depth.

  20. #20
    peterraugland
    Guest

    Re: Cereals and Direct Drilling

    In my book its about right. The farmer has cut his costs and his personelle, now maybe the middlemen have to cut a bit. Survival of the fittest.

  21. #21
    Clive
    Guest

    Re: Cereals and Direct Drilling

    Quote Originally Posted by texas pete View Post
    What did people make of the new Cousins 'micro wing' feet for OSR establishment.

    They sure looked small compared to a standard foot, but loads less draught and power requirement.

    Would they do enough for rape establishment?

    And is six inches enough (steady) depth.
    Think it's a step in the right direction slightly away from "subtill" OSR where illogically you are making a nice stale seed bed at the same time as sewing the crop making only in crop control of weeds possible. - could you not achieve the same with a direct drill though ?

  22. #22
    Seat Right Back
    Guest

    Re: Cereals and Direct Drilling

    Quote Originally Posted by texas pete View Post
    What did people make of the new Cousins 'micro wing' feet for OSR establishment.

    They sure looked small compared to a standard foot, but loads less draught and power requirement.

    Would they do enough for rape establishment?

    And is six inches enough (steady) depth.
    Ive been using the Sumo 'micro wing' for the last 2 years and have got on very well with them indeed and would say that power requirement is considerably less


    problem is I used up all my ''micro wings [worn out points] last autumn ripping up some concrete resembling turf so will be faced with the conundrum of do I cut 2/3 of the wings of a new set of tungsten tipped jobbies ,

    but to be fair I will want to see how much we have destroyed the fields by the time harvest has finished before I do anything rash with a gas torch

    and by the way Mrs SRB says no it isnt but never mind

  23. #23
    knockie
    Guest

    Re: Cereals and Direct Drilling

    Not long home from Cereals, I really enjoyed it wasnt really looking at kit more sorting out some soil nutrition/biology stuff, best bit of strip-till machinery i noticed was Andrew Wards converted simba rape drill. Was also good catching up with some farmers from here sharing some mad/crazy ideas etc.
    Ta.
    SD.

  24. #24
    Andrew Kerr
    Guest

    Re: Cereals and Direct Drilling

    Told several engineers that the best kit to sell right now would be a rut leveller for knackered tramlines.
    Some of ours will need attention, more than just the drill can manage IMO.

  25. #25
    Seat Right Back
    Guest

    Re: Cereals and Direct Drilling

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kerr View Post
    Told several engineers that the best kit to sell right now would be a rut leveller for knackered tramlines.
    Some of ours will need attention, more than just the drill can manage IMO.
    Ummm , I suspect some of our tramlines will need a little bit of treatment , some have sugested that there may be a tad to much ballast on the front of our sprayer

    now wheres my soil protection plan thingy

  26. #26
    Alistair_Nelson
    Guest

    Re: Cereals and Direct Drilling

    Quote Originally Posted by knockie View Post
    Not long home from Cereals, I really enjoyed it wasnt really looking at kit more sorting out some soil nutrition/biology stuff, best bit of strip-till machinery i noticed was Andrew Wards converted simba rape drill. Was also good catching up with some farmers from here sharing some mad/crazy ideas etc.
    Ta.
    SD.
    See your still after an 8m Freeflow did the sharmans one fall through, how are your plans for controlled traffic falling into place and what are you working on 8m into 32 or 24m or are you still looking at the 10m system?

    interested to here your ideas as this sort of thing needs a lot more thought than people realise and it just doesn't happen with a visit to your local dealer with the cheque book!

    Cheers


    Alistair

  27. #27
    nixorganix
    Guest

    Re: Cereals and Direct Drilling

    Clive and Lee - HEAR HEAR!!!

    So many vested interests in all sectors. It's about time farmers started looking after their own interests instead (and therefore their farms).

    Maximum profit is seldom maximum production.

    Nick Adams

  28. #28
    Rob Holmes
    Guest

    Re: Cereals and Direct Drilling

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    If PROPER DD took off properly in the UK then the likes of vaderstad, Horsch, Simba, amazone, kv, lemken, sumo would loose out on equipment sales.

    The likes of John Deere, CNH, Agco, Deutz, McCormick would loose out on tractor sales.

    The likes of DuPont, Basf, Monsanto would loose out on chemical sales.

    The likes of Yara, kemira etc would loose out on fertiliser sales.

    The likes of Barclays, HSBC, Lloyds, Natwest would loose out because money lending would be reduced.

    Then the smaller subsidiaries such as soil advice services and fuel suppliers would also be affected.

    So I can't see the likes of Haymarket actively pushing for this in fear of the reprocussions they may be labeled with starting. This is also why getting DD funding is nigh on impossible because there is so much to loose as there are some very big names on the above lists.
    But Lee, In another thread you were critising Haymarket's lack of foresight with a ticket price of 22, and therefore driving visitors and exhibitors out, now your critising them for their foresight in not pushing DD for repercussions

  29. #29
    Tomsewell
    Guest

    Re: Cereals and Direct Drilling

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kerr View Post
    Tom,

    Believe me, the Mzuri stand was pretty well over run at times, despite the fact they also had a demo drill pulling 30+ customers over to the field every time it fired up!
    Andrew

    I did visit mzuri but there's no tungsten that I could see anywhere on the points. I would spend my life changing points and it takes too much power in my opinion

    What does a years order book in terms of numbers mean? How many do they build a week and does that much of a wait put anyone off ordering one?

  30. #30
    Tomsewell
    Guest

    Re: Cereals and Direct Drilling

    The most interesting and thought provoking thing I saw/heard was a tour of Neil Fullers demo plots, absolutely fascinating and lots of food for thought!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •